LegacyGT.com

Considering a Saabaru....

vr4Legacy

I just sold my LGT for a myriad of reasons, most of which because I have a family on the way. I replaced it with a new Outback. I'm loving that, or should I say the wife is loving it:mad:

I'm currently pimping her Hyundai and on the lookout for a good replacement 5 spd Impreza. I want something a little smaller for daily commuting.

I have been tossing around getting a Saab 9.2x or 9.2x Aero. Seems to me they have more features, and since they are less known seem to cost less. I don't know much about them. Just looking for some info on what to consider/avoid. Did they have the 2.0 or 2.5 turbo engine? And if it's a good idea.

My thoughts are that an Aero wouldn't have been abused like a WRX.

thoughts??

Very good train of though and an accurate one. If you find a Saabaru get the turbo don't waste money on the Aero. Subaru running gear and Saab refinement perfect combo plus all WRX parts fit it, if you ever want a FMIC or a other go fast bit.

^ from my limited research, it was only a limited joint venture back in '05 when GM still owned part of Subaru and Saab. Fairly certain there is no commingling currently.

Thanks Gee Otto, does the Saabaru Turbo use the 2.0 or 2.5?

Pluses or minuses on either?

I thought the Aero was the turbo...

GM sold their piece of Subaru to Toyota - for a healthy loss- before the 9.6 was ever sold. For 2 years, 2005-2006, Saab did sell a rebadged Impreza as the 9.2x and a WRX as the 9.2x Aero.

Saab is in receivership and suppliers are no longer sending parts. I suspect the dealers are letting maintenance staff go; replacement body panels will be non existent--especially for this model which did not sell well. My suggestion: Avoid like the plague.

Leper, very good points. Never thought about any of that.

But my understanding is it's simply a rebadged Impreza, with a few interior modifications. It appears there is simply a different grille and a Saab badge on the hood. I've seen a couple inside and they just look a little more plush, guages and all else look Subaru, but with Saad badges. AFAIK it has a Subaru Motor and drivetrain.

I would think most parts from the same year Impreza/WRX would match right up.

Aero's I believe were the soft top versions of whatever models you were looking at. There was only one Saabaru and there are quite a few fairly recent threads on the subject.

It talks about how the usage of "new" technology on the saabaru was found on the following year STI's and not the WRX's, therefore making the saabaru superior to the full subaru version. (- higher price tag)

If you actually want to get a Saabaru (a real Saabaru, not a 9-2x outside of Subaru involvement), they are nothing but a WRX in another's clothes. The seats are different, the badges are different, but everything else is Subaru. The entire drivetrain is Subaru. The suspension is also Subaru. I don't think SAAB made ANYTHING on that car.

It's just an EJ20 WRX with leather seats and a sunroof.

I wouldn't bother.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Having owned a 2005 9-2x Aero I can confirm the that other than the hood, headlights, fenders and front and rear bumbers, everything is a Subaru on the car. The 2005 came with the 2.0L and the 2006 came with the 2.5L. Both years came with brakes from a 2005 (2006 WRX came with 4/2 pots remember). If you are comfortable with a 2005/2006 Impreza wagon you will be fine in a Saabaru.

Check out http://saab92x.com and say hi. A 2006 Aero 5MT is pretty much a unicorn as far as these cars are concerned. Less than 250 built and these will fetch a good $2000 premium over the 2005 model due to the better HP/torque of the 2.5L.

Saab is in receivership and suppliers are no longer sending parts. I suspect the dealers are letting maintenance staff go; replacement body panels will be non existent--especially for this model which did not sell well. My suggestion: Avoid like the plague.

IIRC manufactures are required to keep parts on hand/available for certain amount of time. Thinking it was 15 years, but I could be wrong. Plus you can always swap Subaru body panels onto it and be as good as new. I picked up my 2005 Aero 5MT back in 2009 with 45k on it. I paid $11k out the door. A 2005 WRX wagon 5MT with that milage would have set me back $14k easily. There really is no reason not to get a Saabaru over the Subaru. It cost less, has more options (leather, sunroof, xenons, 17" wheels), and looks better than the 2005 wagon.

We were looking for a taillight for wifey's saabaru.. from Saab, I ordered one, found out it was backordered a month, then it finally came but they sent some other weird model tail.

The right model is back ordered, ETA september. Eff that.

Bought a used one off ebay.

^ the rear looks identical to a Subaru to me? Did you try one from an impreza?

Murdoc, I am using your reasoning. I require a sunroof in my next car. My LGT had one and I absolutely love driving with windows down and roof open. I'm 6'3 and never had any trouble with headroom (I never understood that argument). The leather is another plus, I like the two tone I see on the ones I've seen online. A MT is another requirement.

I'm fortunate in that I have a perfectly driveable car, just not a fun one, to get me around. It will last me ten more years if I take care of it, but I want something fun and a Subaru, so I'm lurking around debating what model I want. Also considering a Forester, gonna test drive one today hopefully and see how well they handle. From what I've read, the MT XT's are great.

If I were to do some major body damage that require a panel(s) being replaced, I'd be fine to swap to an impreza, but honestly if the damage is that severe, my insurance can deal with it.

I'm not too concerned with the extra oomph of the 2.5 (not that I would love it :D) Is either motor/turbo more/less reliable? I'd trade some power for more reliability. I'm still on the fence about getting a used mid-range mileage turbo anyway. I may just get an NA and call it a day.

thanks again everyone for the info. Keep it coming.

Gonna check out the saab92x forum too, thanks for that link.

IIRC manufactures are required to keep parts on hand/available for certain amount of time. Thinking it was 15 years, but I could be wrong. Plus you can always swap Subaru body panels onto it and be as good as new. I picked up my 2005 Aero 5MT back in 2009 with 45k on it. I paid $11k out the door. A 2005 WRX wagon 5MT with that milage would have set me back $14k easily. There really is no reason not to get a Saabaru over the Subaru. It cost less, has more options (leather, sunroof, xenons, 17" wheels), and looks better than the 2005 wagon.

Heh, I'm happy with the Legacy, but I remember originally looking for a WRX back in 2008 and the Aero prices were pretty much the same if not slighly more than the WRXs which was a shame.

I wonder what the difference in insurance for the Aero vs the WRX is.

^ the rear looks identical to a Subaru to me? Did you try one from an impreza?

Murdoc, I am using your reasoning. I require a sunroof in my next car. My LGT had one and I absolutely love driving with windows down and roof open. I'm 6'3 and never had any trouble with headroom (I never understood that argument). The leather is another plus, I like the two tone I see on the ones I've seen online. A MT is another requirement.

I'm fortunate in that I have a perfectly driveable car, just not a fun one, to get me around. It will last me ten more years if I take care of it, but I want something fun and a Subaru, so I'm lurking around debating what model I want. Also considering a Forester, gonna test drive one today hopefully and see how well they handle. From what I've read, the MT XT's are great.

If I were to do some major body damage that require a panel(s) being replaced, I'd be fine to swap to an impreza, but honestly if the damage is that severe, my insurance can deal with it.

I'm not too concerned with the extra oomph of the 2.5 (not that I would love it :D) Is either motor/turbo more/less reliable? I'd trade some power for more reliability. I'm still on the fence about getting a used mid-range mileage turbo anyway. I may just get an NA and call it a day.

thanks again everyone for the info. Keep it coming.

Gonna check out the saab92x forum too, thanks for that link.

I've heard the sunroof can cut into headroom, but that goes without saying for most cars now it seems. I had plenty of headroom without the sunroof in mine, but I am only 5'11". The driver seat sits lower than the passenger seat so it's not usually an issue. When I was in the passenger seat the roof seems too low for my liking. However, the same is true for my Legacy and my wife's Mini Cooper.

As far as motors these are Subaru motors and I'm on my 3rd now without so much as an issue. I've had the 2.5GT NA Legacy (headgasket was fine BTW), 2.0L turbo, and the 2.5L turbo currently. As long as you keep up with maintenance and watch your oil levels (and probably avoid running Mobil 1 :spin:) you will be fine with any motor. The 2.5L NA in the Linear is the same as the 2.5L NA in the Legacy. I've never really been a fan of that motor unless you are going to rack up DD highway miles and are concerned about MPGs. As a second car it would work for me, but with only 1 car as my DD I need the turbo power for some fun once in a while.

Heh, I'm happy with the Legacy, but I remember originally looking for a WRX back in 2008 and the Aero prices were pretty much the same if not slighly more than the WRXs which was a shame.

I wonder what the difference in insurance for the Aero vs the WRX is.

The Aero has a 6 airbags versus the WRX 4 and the Aero TENDS to be owned by an older (slightly more mature) crowd that doesn't race and crash into trees. The insurance is cheaper on the Aero than the WRX, but not by a huge margin or anything.

I 'understand' the reasons dimensionally, for having less headroom. I guess I've never had a problem and I'm 6'3, so I don't see the less headroom as not being enough. nonetheless, I want one :)

I want the power and fun of a 5 spd, turbo. But I don't want the maintence hassles. I can't find one with less than 60k miles on it, most are around 80k. I owned an '05 2.5RS Impreza 5spd before my LGT, and was happy with it's low end torque, so it kept me happy. I was actually dissapointed in the 2.0T WRX I test drove, and with insurance factored in, couldn't justify the cost.

Honestly I have no idea what I want, I just know I want a 5spd. Maybe driving my Hyundai will let me forget how fun the LGT was, therefore making any 5spd Subaru seem like a power beast :lol:

I'm also eyeing up some Bajas.... I've always like em since they came out....

My wife had a Saabaru until we traded it in :-( for something more fuel efficient. It's a great car! It handles like a dream (thanks to some STI sourced suspension bits and steering rack) and the interior is really great. I like the Aero more than the WRX wagon just for the crisper handling.

The 06 turbo models had the 2.5 engine.

Very rare cars to find nowadays. Prob `200 or so 06' aeros sold. Much easier to find an 05' but get the aero (turbo). Linear is a waste of time.

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

I loved my Saabaru (05 Aero = turbo 2.0L 5sp) but I (very) recently sold it and found an 05 LGT Ltd wagon with 26K and am loving it. I had the Sport package on the Saabaru with stock springs and find the handling on the Saabaru better but the ride far more refined on the LGT...and less turbo lag with the LGT....acceptable trade-offs for a 43 yr old with a kid, baby and a wife who likes the ride and easier clutch pedal.

The Saabaru's are getting hard to find as the guy buying mine was quite happy to take mine...as glad as I was to find the LGT Wagon with stick...was easier to find than a V70R wagon too...

Archived