LegacyGT.com

Let's talk..... Snow Tires

legomaroon

I just got me a set of new Nokian Hakka 7. But it's not time to put them on yet so I have them in storage for the time being. Give it a month or so and it's time.........

Nokian claims the Hakka7s are much quieter than most studded tires. Do you believe them?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Mega Users

Just got the Blizzak w70s, and put them on the stock wheels. I picked up a pair of ASA 7-spoke wheels and wrapped my summer Hankook Ventus V12 tires on them.

This will be my first set of winter tires that I've ever driven on. Excited to see the performance.

Both sets of tires are fresh this year, so I'm set on tires for a long time!:spin:

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

• 3 weeks later...
  • Mega Users

revive.

Blizzak WS70s are unreal. Since the NE had there first nor easter the last couple of days, I got to test them out. For someone that has never had snow tires before, this is quite the treat. The soft tires make the car ride like a cadillac on the highway too, and they are VERY quite.

Just bought a set of 4 used WS-50s with good tread left for a song. I'm not-so-patiently waiting for the first snow to see how they do against my all-seasons

Be sure to let us know. Remember this is based purely on the brand and model of all season tires you were using, their tread depth, aspect ratio, etc. in comparison to the new winters and their individual qualities, tread depth, aspect ratio, etc. Some of the best all seasons perform as well as the best winter tires:

"The bracket within each category bar shows the range of stopping distances among the best and worst models. On average, winter tires make good on their claim, stopping shorter than all-season and all-terrain models that promise to have similar performance. But as the range shows, some winter tires stop no better than some better-gripping all-season and all-terrain tires."

http://news.consumerreports.org/a/6a00d83451e0d569e2014e86cf5472970d-800wi

Thanks for the data... I'm well aware that some all-seasons can perform *almost* as well as most winter tires. As I'm sure you're well aware, I will point out to you that all-seasons are just that-- a jack of all trade and a master of none.

While skeptics and statistics can use pretty pictures to convince anyone who is unwilling to look into the details, I can look at the data and find a few things that I will point out.

1.) You haven't cited any sources for this data.

2.) The uncertainty in the All-Season data is huge-- that could be inconsistency in repeated tests of the same scenario or the fact that manufacturers are designing All-Seasons to accommodate everyone and every scenario possible, which means some tires simply cannot handle what is thrown at them... I would hate to be shopping for a set of All-Seasons and hear the salesman say "well, you could stop anywhere from 25ft or 45ft on ice, there is so much uncertainty."

3.) Second, your data is for vehicles stopping from 10mph which sheds no light on most real world scenarios. What was the testing procedure for this data?

4.) Were the tires stopping on the same patch of ice everytime, creating a slippery set of tracks which could skew the results for each subsequent test?

5.) What about consistency in tire dimensions and the vehicle the tires were tested on?

6.) Did ABS come on, or were the tires just skidding?

There are so many variables that you haven't listed to take that graph seriously.

Sorry if I sound like a d!ck, I'm just playing devil's advocate.

Thanks for the data... I'm well aware that some all-seasons can perform *almost* as well as most winter tires. As I'm sure you're well aware, I will point out to you that all-seasons are just that-- a jack of all trade and a master of none.

While skeptics and statistics can use pretty pictures to convince anyone who is unwilling to look into the details, I can look at the data and find a few things that I will point out.

1.) You haven't cited any sources for this data.

2.) The uncertainty in the All-Season data is huge-- that could be inconsistency in repeated tests of the same scenario or the fact that manufacturers are designing All-Seasons to accommodate everyone and every scenario possible, which means some tires simply cannot handle what is thrown at them... I would hate to be shopping for a set of All-Seasons and hear the salesman say "well, you could stop anywhere from 25ft or 45ft on ice, there is so much uncertainty."

3.) Second, your data is for vehicles stopping from 10mph which sheds no light on most real world scenarios. What was the testing procedure for this data?

4.) Were the tires stopping on the same patch of ice everytime, creating a slippery set of tracks which could skew the results for each subsequent test?

5.) What about consistency in tire dimensions and the vehicle the tires were tested on?

6.) Did ABS come on, or were the tires just skidding?

There are so many variables that you haven't listed to take that graph seriously.

Sorry if I sound like a d!ck, I'm just playing devil's advocate.

Consumer reports testing. I agree that winters are better than all seasons for winter driving.

Be sure to let us know. Remember this is based purely on the brand and model of all season tires you were using, their tread depth, aspect ratio, etc. in comparison to the new winters and their individual qualities, tread depth, aspect ratio, etc. Some of the best all seasons perform as well as the best winter tires:

"The bracket within each category bar shows the range of stopping distances among the best and worst models. On average, winter tires make good on their claim, stopping shorter than all-season and all-terrain models that promise to have similar performance. But as the range shows, some winter tires stop no better than some better-gripping all-season and all-terrain tires."

http://news.consumerreports.org/a/6a00d83451e0d569e2014e86cf5472970d-800wi

On smooth dry ice in a hockey rink! But not in the real world.

We had Nokian WR's on my wife's minivan and they were great. We were thinking we might sell it, so I looked at the CR report and noted that one of the Michelin Pilot A/S models had the same rating as the Nokian WR's. So we put them on.

First snow, my wife was back in five minutes "I'm not driving this car." I took it out and while they did, indeed, have pretty good grip braking, accelerating and cornering they were terrible. We put Michelin X-Ice Xi2's on it for the winter now. I wish I'd just bought WRG2's and been done with it.

As it turns out, CR gives their ratings and recommendations sometimes based on other test criterion not shown according to their response to me in a forum. And they generally do not give the raw data - actual stopping distance, etc. While I understand the reason for doing the tests in a hockey rink, in my experience the speed is so low and the conditions so artificial that they are not accurate predictors of real-world performance.

If an All Season tire could achieve the performance necessary to get the severe snow (Mountain/Snowflake) rating, they would. With a small number of exceptions, they can't.

We're currently running Xi2's, Nokian WR's, WRG2's, Hakka RSI's, and Hakka R's. Might buy another brand/model this winter to test as our Outback will need to replace the RSI's this season: they were purchased new in December 2005!

Who Dares Wins

スバル

I just picked up some Michelin Alpin PA2's. They'll be my first set of winter tires. I'm gonna throw them on in a couple weeks.

Last year I went through winter on Bridgestone RE960's and didn't have any problems getting to my destination but they didn't have as much stopping power as I would like.

• Mega Users
Really? I wonder if they improved a lot over the WS60s because those were loud as hell. They sure did grip though.

Sinister, I was on an optimistic streak. They are relatively loud for a tire, especially with the radio off. You can hear them alot under moderate breaking.

Coming from a truck with mud tires it is much quieter.

I just picked up some Michelin Alpin PA2's. They'll be my first set of winter tires. I'm gonna throw them on in a couple weeks.

Last year I went through winter on Bridgestone RE960's and didn't have any problems getting to my destination but they didn't have as much stopping power as I would like.

Your going to love those tires. I did, just can't see spending that much $$$. for them.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Sinister, I was on an optimistic streak. They are relatively loud for a tire, especially with the radio off. You can hear them alot under moderate breaking.

Coming from a truck with mud tires it is much quieter.

I can see that. I went from ASs to the WS60s and I would've thought that something was wrong if I didn't know any better.

On smooth dry ice in a hockey rink! But not in the real world.

We had Nokian WR's on my wife's minivan and they were great. We were thinking we might sell it, so I looked at the CR report and noted that one of the Michelin Pilot A/S models had the same rating as the Nokian WR's. So we put them on.

First snow, my wife was back in five minutes "I'm not driving this car." I took it out and while they did, indeed, have pretty good grip braking, accelerating and cornering they were terrible. We put Michelin X-Ice Xi2's on it for the winter now. I wish I'd just bought WRG2's and been done with it.

As it turns out, CR gives their ratings and recommendations sometimes based on other test criterion not shown according to their response to me in a forum. And they generally do not give the raw data - actual stopping distance, etc. While I understand the reason for doing the tests in a hockey rink, in my experience the speed is so low and the conditions so artificial that they are not accurate predictors of real-world performance.

If an All Season tire could achieve the performance necessary to get the severe snow (Mountain/Snowflake) rating, they would. With a small number of exceptions, they can't.

We're currently running Xi2's, Nokian WR's, WRG2's, Hakka RSI's, and Hakka R's. Might buy another brand/model this winter to test as our Outback will need to replace the RSI's this season: they were purchased new in December 2005!

It's really doubtful your anecdotal testing was more impartial, qualified, scientific and accurate than anything consumer reports did.

Your testing is good enough for you though, so that's all that matters. Nothing wrong with any of the winter tires you mention. Especially if they have enough tread left.

Ok so I live where frequent big snow falls is uncommon but I like driving up to the mountains to ski and I love winger scca rallys.. the michilin pa3's looked nice for mostly dry driving but how do they handle gravel deep snow and the likes? How about the contiextremes? I hear they're great in snow but how about dry conditions where I do 75% of my winter driving? Had lm-25's for two seasons living upstate with lots of snow and they kicked ass but really soft for dry roads and wear through that special compound rather quickly.

Id sacrifice some dry weather traction for confidence in snow but I still like being able to drive sporty in dry conditions.

I was looking at the pilot. And I pretty sure the lm-25 did I From a lot of research on the tire before I did. The PA3 pilot is a nice looking tire but idk for $200 a piece and whether it not it would hold up for winter rallys, snowy backroads and 12+ inches of snow. The tread pattern just doesn't look too aggressive. For $200 cheaper I can have contiextremes but like I asked before how do they perform in the cold dry?

Blizzak WS60 225/40/18 on some 18" rotas is what I ran for the LGT for 2 seasons. Very good tire, Im lowered ~2" and was plowing through the snow with my front lip and never got stuck.

This year will be the 3rd season, and Im going to put that set of wheels on the Winter Saabaru beater. But I think I did go through all of that special top layer material on the blizzaks so this might be the last season for them.

Archived