LegacyGT.com

Let's talk..... Snow Tires

legomaroon

• I Donated Too
personally I have on Blizzak WS70's, and I'm in CT. Two friends of mine use Continental DWS's (a reasonably priced snow rated all season) on their subies(WRX & STI), but use them only in the winter time and they swear by them. By using them only in the winter they haven't worn through the "S" part of the DWS.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thats what I was thinking just worried about the wear whe there isn't exactly snow on the roads in the winter

I bought some used Blizzak WS60s with 90% tread on them and drove for three winters on Chicago roads that are plowed most of the time. They're at 55% - 60% now, so I'd expect a new set to last at least four seasons (at 8K per season) for the way I drive. I wouldn't worry too much about wear on plow roads; driving them in warm temperatures is what will wear them down quickly.

• I Donated Too
I haven't gotten a chance to drive them in the snow yet, since I picked them up after winter storm Albert. Right now i'm just trying to baby them since it's been warm, i'm actually pretty worried about wear in this 60 degree weather. Where in CT are you located?

Anybody have experience with Blizzak Revo 1's? I've never really heard of them and I'm debating on picking up a used pair this weekend wondering if its worth the investment

They have got me to places no FWD should ever see ;) But that was with chains so I guess it doesn't count and on more serious note - they were fine, bit noisy. At some point while still looking great I just couldn't balance them well anymore due to feathering of a thred. I guess those tight ramps on dry pavement didn't serve them well.

Then I went through worst winter storm of my life in Colorado on X-ice2. I was driving from Steam boat to Chicago and I had to get there rather sooner then later so I was pushing little bit to much. At some point I was going 80mph on fresh snow on Colorado hwy. It was idiotic I know but I was in a hurry and these tires really grip like hell and really inspire confidence. To my defence the hwy was pretty much empty...mainly due to all those cars that ended up in ditches. X-ice 2 absolutely kill in snow but what surprised me the most was how quiet and comfortable they were. Dry braking is shit in those but I suppose all dedicated winter tires have that issue.

This year I am getting arctics for my wife because I think they will do 90% of what x-ice2 did for 70% of the price. For myself and my new beloved legacy spec B ...whatever...used, cheap and at least remotely resembling winter tire will do. After all those Chicago winters in FWD I feel like it will be hard to stop AWD whatever winter rubber it has on.

Im really close to getting General Altimax Arctics...then again...Conti DWS since I might be moving to Escondido CA by March...hmmmm....decisions decisions...lol

Chicago is supposed to have tons of snow this winter also...what you guys think??

Follow me on IG @chefodiycarguy

and @chefo.soriano

What tires are you running now? I was on new Eagle GTs for that huge snow storm we got in 08 and even though it got a little hairy sometimes, they got me home. Looking at the tread design, I'd expect the DWS to be better than the GTs. How much do the Arctics go for? If they're cheap enough, just bite the bullet and get them and consider it as insurance for driving this winter.

What's the best winter tire for the price wise to use in ct?

I'm from CT . My wife's WRX and my LGT are both on Dunlop Wintersport M3s. Fantastic tires! Espcially for CT. When these wear out next year I'm buying these again. They handle better than the OEM all seasons and don't act at all like a snow tire on dry roads.

Snow and Ice performance is also excellent.

WE drive to vermont every weekend all winter. During several storms last year I was in the left lane driving 50-55MPH in several inches of snow. Very few cars could keep up with us.

I've had Blizzaks LM22 and WS50 in the past on other cars and they suck compared to the Dunlops especially on dry roads.

Archived