LegacyGT.com

Let's talk..... Snow Tires

legomaroon

• I Donated
Im looking to get some all season or snow tires for my car this season, but im not trying to break the bank. I live in philly where we get alot of light coatings with the occasional 6-10 inches of snow. Im looking for a tire i can drive with safely, but also go out and have some fun late at night in a "designated area" when the snow falls. What are your opinions on using all seasons vs. snow tires and cost?!

As a general rule, snow tires are better than all-seasons whenever the temperature is below 45 degrees. If you already have dedicated summer tires, get snow tires, not all-seasons.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From my past experience, although it is limited, two full seasons in some serious snow, I can say that when it comes to snow driving, there is absolutely no substitute for a dedicated, aggressively tread, winter tire.

I am going to give the altimax's a shot again this year..... they are 380 bucks in the size I need from tire rack, so I'm sure I could find them much cheaper elsewhere.

• I Donated
How would you rate the altimax tires? Id like to get snow tires, just they are a bit pricey for me.

My girlfriend can get around in 2-3" of snow in her Mustang with sandbags in the back and Altimax Arctics all around. 'Nuff said?

• 1 month later...
  • Mega Users

I figure I have one choice with snow tires. I don't make a 150k a year, therefore I think its foolish to spend more than 600 bucks on snow tires. Generals here we come! Now just need to sweep craigslist for a set of $150 alloys to strap them too.

Thats a good winter wheel package IMO.

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

I had the WS-50 on my old Corolla, and they were great. They were about 1/2 worn and still pulled through stuff I would have been stranded in with all seasons.

I recently snagged a set of Toyo Observe Garit KX snows from this guy: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/fs-monroe-ct-toyo-snow-tires-163390.html and I'm curious if anyone else has used them. Read some online reviews and they looked pretty good.

Toyo's best snow tires ever!!!!!! 4 winters on em!!!

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

I just got me a set of new Nokian Hakka 7. But it's not time to put them on yet so I have them in storage for the time being. Give it a month or so and it's time.

http://www.bedug.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=733&g2_serialNumber=2

453747.png

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Blizzak+WS60

^FTW. I could barely break this things loose sometimes in pretty bad conditions. Also been up past 100 on highways and felt fine. Haha. Not the best decision but these tires are seriously unreal. Also, Im on my 4th winther with them, they wear very very well. Worth every penny and then some.

• I Donated
They are unreal tires, I would pay double what they are selling for. Ive noticed that if you drive on them on hot days when the pavement is warm they wear super fast. So as soon as winter ends, take them off.

That is a standard trait of snow tires.

Multicell compund is famous or rather infamous for this rather quick wear in dry, warm weather. I am amazed that you can get 30K+ from your WS Blizzaks (or you drive them on snow only).

This is one of the reasons I am using performance winter (Continental TS810 currently). MA may have snow in December and spring like January followed by a few snow storms in February and March. I am afraid I will need magic compund when it wore off already.

Krzys

Archived