LegacyGT.com

ClimberD's / HexMods Diary

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Congrats on the insulation going up. I know from my own garage it made a huge difference once all of the proper insulation was put in place...It will make a world of difference for your work ahead.

Final verdict, 8*F lower in garage... oddly my garage is always 82 regardless of outside temp, day or night. Use to be 90*F all day... I don't know how these Texas mechanics work 8 hour days, 5 days a week, in shaded free-air bays. I could only last maybe an hour at a time at 90*F, now at 82*F I can last a good half day. At 70*F I can only imagine how nice it will be.

In my upstairs office I have an L-shape setup: computer and office table on one wall, valve body land on the other wall. It's coming together.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

^ ah you get used to the heat.

imagine working in a hayloft loading hay into barn, there about 110-120 deg and be up there for hours ! after that anything less feels like a cool breeze

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

^ ah you get used to the heat.

imagine working in a hayloft loading hay into barn, there about 110-120 deg and be up there for hours ! after that anything less feels like a cool breeze

While I believe you, I've been in Texas 3 years, and am still not there. It's only a 22' by 18.5' space + extra bit of storage area, so cooling it is not too hard.

I may be giving up on sealing the concrete to the extent I wanted. Most products do not appear to be both cost-effective, and sufficiently durable. Boo...

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

• 7 months later...

Been ages, time for an update:

Garage is looking like a real garage.

I've got a row of benches, consisting of metal lathe, table for bench grinder an drill press, other things, then 12' of metal table for transmission work. Dehumidifier always keeps humidity <40%. A/C is plumbed, though I don't use it too often (winter).

As for the car, new 332x32 RacingBrake rotor rings just showed up for the front. Going to get the car all back together this week or next, then take it apart again. Vicious cycle. I'll post up more when something cool happens.

how many F1's have you sold so far?

inquiring minds want ot know

it's still my favorite mod to date

I donated to LegacyGT.com which allows me to have this nifty signature. :p

If anything SCASEYS posts ever becomes a sticky i'm gonna light this whole place on fire :lol:

not too shabby man, great product

any failures yet?

318/360 going strong

I've had several customers say to me, 'I know my trans is worn out, I just want to buy some more time with the F1, and then I'll have it already to put in the rebuilt or replacement trans.' No failures, though with enough driving every 5eat will fail, since they're wear parts, just like brake pads.

A few warranty replacements so far. VB didn't shift right, so I sent them another one. So far this has solved these issues; no one has said "the mod didn't take, I would like to send you the VB back (reverse core swap) for a refund, though I would accept such a request if it ever came up. Anyways, once I get a trouble valve body back, I take it out of commission. The F1 Core is as much a guarantee as it is a valve body upgrade, which is what I want my products to be: Not a hunk of metal, but a guarantee that the thing you bought will work.

I hate Brembos.

There, I said it.

I bought a set of Brembo GT front calipers and floating 2-piece rotors (front), DBA adapter rotors & Brembo STi rear calipers and mark1 brackets a while back from a nice forum member, out of LA. Came with SS lines as well.

I've hated my car ever since, and am finally getting it resolved (at epic expense).

One piston stuck in the front, ruining a rotor ring. Seller said rotors were 228x28, which I thought was weird, could find only one WRX kit that barely could meet that spec. Ordered RacingBrake Rotor Rings in 228x28. THEY DON'T FIT.

Ordered 12" digital caliper. They're 332x32. So RMA on the rotor rings.

Next issue: Had to order new seals to fully rebuild all calipers, to be safe. That's fine.

To the rear, brackets (which weren't the KNS, put the pad out of alignment with the rotor surface. Ordered KNS brackets.

Next, DBA rear rotors are a bit heavy, so ordered 04 STi rotors, and Onkle racing adapter shoes. Great customer service from Onkle racing by the way.

Lastly, I can't get the front SS lines to stop rubbing on the tires when turned full lock. The SS lines have memory, which somehow does not line up with my setup. Hair pulling frustration.

So, I bought used, did reasonable research but a) not enough research to ask the right questions, and b) bought products poorly described by the seller, and did not have the sense to walk away when the parts weren't obvious black and white. In aggregate, some fault was on everyone, but I am the one responsible for my own actions.

When I am done, the only original parts I will have left from the transaction will be:

Front and rear calipers, maybe the SS lines, and the front Brembo hats. THAT'S IT. Even all the bolts (except 2 top mount bolts on either front caliper) are being replaced.

IF I had only stayed stock...

Stock LGT calipers. Could have added STi master cylinder swap, nice rotors (which are relatively very cheap) and stoptech pads, then I WOULD HAVE BEEN SO MUCH HAPPIER. That and any 17" wheels would fit, not just some.

Sure I now have better brakes than any stock LGT, but THE COST SIMPLY WILL NEVER JUSTIFY IT.

Take my advice: keep your stock calipers. Heck, paint them with an expensive epoxy caliper paint if you must. But for the love of g-d don't swap them out for bling. I hope my poor assessment of the size of my manhood, and my efforts to compensate for it with racing bling, will serve as a cautionary tale to someone out there.

^ yea the maximum stopping power of your car depends on the tires.

and the mass and ventalation of the rotors are the how many high speed stops you can make.

the brake "feel" thing i never realy cared about. if the car stops its stops.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

That is a whole different dilemma, not to be touched, like a "Can of Worms" type conversation.

I'm only looking back long enough to know what to do in the future, for my next build. :rolleyes:

What I of course mean in this context is "If I had only kept my calipers stock"

Seeing as a lot of my car is aftermarket and will be staying that way, no need to comment on my position on the whole car staying stock. Certainly not approaching it from the grand perspective.

When I get the whole damn Y(&%^$%%&$ thing rolling again, I might even keep my eye out for a set of LGT calipers, and may even put my entire, complete, legit, no BS BBK setup up for sale. But I doubt anyone would want to pay what it's worth, in which case it will probably just sit on the car and make it look more awesomer. If I can lockup my tires with sticky rubber again and again even at high speeds, then might just keep it.

So, was it that specific set of brembo's that made you have a bad experience? Do you think you would have had a different stance on them if you bought it from.. say a vendor maybe, and gone new everything?

So, was it that specific set of brembo's that made you have a bad experience? Do you think you would have had a different stance on them if you bought it from.. say a vendor maybe, and gone new everything?

I did think about that a lot since then. I should probably add up the costs and form a quantifiable assessment. Brand new everything I have now would have A) been almost zero trouble, B) cost maybe $3k-4k plus heavy cost of replacement front rotors at $400+ axle. I never would have spent that much on brakes. Never, and I'm still well under that, except for the heavy time suck. The specific set I bought was problematic for aforementioned reasons, the fact I did not have ideal working conditions at the time really hurt my ability to address the problems on the spot (now I do have a great working environment), and then there's my taste in having the end product be 'right'. These are factors that I REALLY should have weighed first. Lesson learned.

On the topic of brakes, I'll get this adapter set: http://www.ebay.com/itm/150641511849?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649, a nice set of STI rotors, some Wilwood Forged Superlite 4 calipers and BP-20 pads if I ever decide that I want to upgrade from the stock LGTsetup.

I did something similar on my 240 with 350Z Track rotors. It's a nice, relatively low cost big brake setup with inexpensive, easily sourceable replacement parts and the largest selection of pads out there. Oh, and the pads are super thick and cheap to boot.

Right now I run EBC YellowStuff pads and flush the fluid occasionally. It stops pretty well, and the fluid flushes help restore decent pedal feel. For an LGT.

So for a potential owner of brembos what advice can you give?

I say you've read my posts, go read other posts, then make your own decision. If you're not 95% sure they're a wise investment, don't buy them. That's it :)

Archived