LegacyGT.com

ClimberD's / HexMods Diary

I have a question.

During WOT it seems that when I'm in D it upshifts faster than if I let it shift at redline when in manual mode. Shifts even slower if I'm using the paddles and wot. Slower meaning, more slip time between shifts.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I ran AVG Antivirus and finally found the rootkit! FINALLY. Didn't get around to trying Webroot, but I did try several other reputable programs, and they all missed this last rootkit. Even AVG missed it with the full system scan, but got it with the root scan.

Borla XR-1 3" muffler is here, as are all my many summit band clamps. Summit has the fastest darn shipping...

I hear ya on that. I ordered an exhaust from summit and got it same day. It helps that I'm only an hour away though. :lol:

I threw an '05 5EAT in my '06 and it did not work. Fitment fine, Hex VB, fine, but car kept giving me gear ratio codes and it would vary from a p0700 generic code to specific p0735, then 4, then 2. Always random and always changing from one wrong gear ratio to another.

Swapped all TCU sensors from 06 harness into 05 harness, one at a time and never could get it to shift right, let alone quit throwing codes.

Never swapped in the matching TCU for the 05 tranny though.

I don't suggest the expense of an 06 tranny swap into your 08, it was all wasted labor and time for me, over a long period of time or experiments before I sourced another, good, 06 5EAT for my car.

I have a question.

During WOT it seems that when I'm in D it upshifts faster than if I let it shift at redline when in manual mode. Shifts even slower if I'm using the paddles and wot. Slower meaning, more slip time between shifts.

I do not know why it would do that. I have a similar issue on mine, but part of it is the manual delay.

I'm ridiculously interested in the 08 VB mod, since that's the biggest barrier between me and Stage 3 :) It got me thinking...has anyone thrown a 2006 5EAT into their 08/09 since it's proven to hold up with a VB mod?

The TCUs are most likely not cross-compatible. So the answer is most likely no.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

only way to do that would be stand alone trans controler.

ie megashift or one of the other brands ..

Exactly. I'm still thinking about swapping this 08 5eat I have here into my 05. But that would be the end of stock TCU control, which would be nice for me but bad for R&D. Maybe later. The 08 grants a little more control and a little less excess than the 05, and that longer final drive :wub:

My RPMs are stupid on the highway.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

• 2 weeks later...

So I have new toys going on the car soon, and am very excited to experience the outcome, namely boost threshold and peak boost RPM, and of course power/torque. Heck I may even dyno it once all done.

Hybrid22L's turbo kit:

VF37 with 18G-sized wheel

JDM Spec C headers & up pipe

Custom downpipe (looks very nice)

RacerX FMIC.

Straight through exhaust.

Very little intake restriction.

Plenty of fuel (going to do both 93 and E85, perhaps even a 87 map since I've been curious what a IAM/DAM timing advance table should really look like).

Hallman Pro-RX whatever-named MBC to start (can't argue with easy, and no I won't be making IAM drop).

Going to tune with Cobb AP V2 ATR, and backup maps for RomRaider.

Predictions on the setup are very welcome, as this will be a little different from what Hybrid22L was running.

Facetious because I subscribed right after you started this thread. :)

I'm honestly very curious how much timing you can run on 87 octane. I think you're correct that it would indicate what the base timing table should be. Maybe a couple degrees less, in case you get some really bad fuel that's only 85 octane.

• 1 month later...

I finished doing overdue repairs on my other two cars, so after winter family vacation I look forward to returning to my one true love hate the LGT wagon.

Of course it is a big no-no to work on a car if your substitute vehicles are not in tip top shape. No one wants to own 3 cars and be stranded with all of them down.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE

not much to say, except that I need to build a couple websites, do a lot of LGT work, replace front pads on my old Lexus (grinding noise at present), do the 80k service on my wife's Volvo, and all the while do a lot of back office work for my main company.

Legacy work will be the most fun, very excited for what's coming.

Replaced front pads on Lexus, now I have my DD back at least... helped a friend change a starter on a 2001 Mitsubishi eclipse (what an unfriendly place to put a starter).

work work work...

Crossposting from the 11s thread:

why don't you just put in a 5 eat with megashift ? and make it rwd/ 4wd flip of switch.

Is this something you could do as an F1 option?

I even don't have a 5EAT, but I still gotta ask, because it sounds pretty cool.

^ the rwd /4wd is a "hardware" change removing the center differential and directly coupling the intermediate shaft to the output shaft.

i have the prototype welded together. just have not had a chance to install it as of yet.

as a product this would probably require a group buy. it would require a special cnc setup of either a new shaft. or even better a special coupling. so it would be a simple " bolt on" . then the system can either work as stock where the rear wheels would me primarily driven and slip detected the front engaged . or you can disactivate the front to do doughnuts. or full engage front for extream 4x4 action.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

^^^ or PWM it with fancy controller or even stock control for STi-like variable lockup to suit different levels of acceleration x different amounts of cornering force. I don't think there would be any gas savings since everything would still be spinning in the front when in RWD mode.

no not for fuel savings.. but ability to rip donuts.

but you could remove the front axels. ( but loose the parking pin because it only holds the front diff from turning. )

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

I like my new VB, ClimberD!

Thanks for the excellent customer service!

I will second this reply... but change it to, I love my new VB...

and also agree with the customer service, almost always available, and dealt with my noob questions very patiently, esp with explaining my fuel cut issue.

Can't say thank you enough david!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Anymore information about your clutch pack upgrade idea? While I am not in the financial position yet, I would prefer to buy all the trans bits at once and was curious if it was still a project of yours or if you found another quality source for the packs.

Thanks,

C.H.

Archived