LegacyGT.com

ClimberD's / HexMods Diary

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pics of shop

I will post pics of my humble garage when it is all done.

Meeting my friend tomorrow and will be borrowing pressure washer from him then, and also getting my AC system back (hopefully it works well, or else I'm buying a new one). Going to pressure wash cement, and going to plumb in AC. Trying to find a silicate cement sealer that penetrates (not a topical coating) and doesn't cost too much. I might only be in this space for one year, as my wife has expressed a strong interest in buying (which would come with a bigger garage). I have no interest in setting up a separate dedicated shop off property until it becomes absolutely essential. Having minimal overhead allows me a lot of flexibility. I already have a garage rented off property, and I ended up not being able to go to it because I wouldn't be free until 6pm each night, and then only a couple days a week. I thought it would work, but it did not. I'm in my current garage every day, doing a little of this and that. The setup is working. I'm going to set it up so that I can be in it all day. Have picked out an insulation solution for the outside-facing wall and garage door itself. Have already installed T8 ceiling lights. Will run a couple new electrical outlets, as needed. Last step until I'm able to get to business in it will be to paint it semi-gloss white, so I can see better.

I already finished replacing a bathroom floor with tile (happy wife happy life) and am trying my darndest to get away from my existing job (real estate manager). I still need to lease two houses before that work load can drop to near zero. I have applications in on both, counting the days to July 1 :)

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

I will post pics of my humble garage when it is all done.

Meeting my friend tomorrow and will be borrowing pressure washer from him then, and also getting my AC system back (hopefully it works well, or else I'm buying a new one). Going to pressure wash cement, and going to plumb in AC. Trying to find a silicate cement sealer that penetrates (not a topical coating) and doesn't cost too much. I might only be in this space for one year, as my wife has expressed a strong interest in buying (which would come with a bigger garage). I have no interest in setting up a separate dedicated shop off property until it becomes absolutely essential. Having minimal overhead allows me a lot of flexibility. I already have a garage rented off property, and I ended up not being able to go to it because I wouldn't be free until 6pm each night, and then only a couple days a week. I thought it would work, but it did not. I'm in my current garage every day, doing a little of this and that. The setup is working. I'm going to set it up so that I can be in it all day. Have picked out an insulation solution for the outside-facing wall and garage door itself. Have already installed T8 ceiling lights. Will run a couple new electrical outlets, as needed. Last step until I'm able to get to business in it will be to paint it semi-gloss white, so I can see better.

I already finished replacing a bathroom floor with tile (happy wife happy life) and am trying my darndest to get away from my existing job (real estate manager). I still need to lease two houses before that work load can drop to near zero. I have applications in on both, counting the days to July 1 :)

Sure hope your Landlord is paying for all those upgrades if you only plan on being there a year. Insulation, electrical, floor sealing, paint, etc! Wow, lots of additional work for a rental!

Now get to work on a clutch pack kit for us..... :)

People will pay $100/month more for a slightly nicer set of finishings, but won't pay $100/month less and then upgrade the finishings themselves for what amounts to $100/month extra. Either means gets the same end. It's far better in my case: some labor here and there, a modest cash investment, and my rental goes from being good value to being amazing value. It's a lot easier to be productive in the right space.

So working on transmission is going to be your job from then on? i sure hope you have a big enough market to profit on.

It's going to be interesting to see where this goes. The important thing is we have thought it through responsibly.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Doc, are you having a problem with your stock clutches?

I'd like to be able to run 20 minute track sessions, 4-5 in a track day.

I've only tested my set-up in an auto-cross type format of one hot lap, stage and wait 10 minutes for another hot lap, etc.

Zero tranny issues so far, however I always and only drive it in manual mode and my current tranny has always had an extremely soft 4-5th shift.

My motor can handle way more power and my turbo can handle 25psi if I had a FMIC setup, so I'd like to know that drop-in clutch kits are in CD's hands if I ever needed them.

Plus, I'm sitting on my orig tranny that I pulled after my BNR 16g tuner did the complete tune in auto mode and really abused the tranny. ( I wasn't available to drive it for the tune). I never gave it enough time for TCU to learn to shift the 16G before motor was torn down for valve job that ended being a complete long-block replacement. Based on the motor build I sourced a new-to-me 40K tranny and a Hexmods VB and went from there.

So, I may be sitting on a good to go 86K tranny, likely I'm not though after all the other "mods" that 5EAT went through. The worst one being tuner suggesting running the car w/o recirc valve in place/ vent to atmosphere and my tranny hated life for a week. Knock your teeth out kind of shifts for a week couldn't have been good for hard parts let alone soft parts.

So, bring on those drop-in clutch packs ;) I still don't find another Subie more attractive to daily drive and track drive than my GT wagon!

Then pull your recirc hose, vent to atmosphere and be shocked at how the car bucks everytime you let go of WOT. Bad.

No I won't deal with IPT after they sold a $2 spring for $700 called a VB mod. Lame

I want knock-your-teeth-out shifts :(

have you asked IPT if their rebuild kit is of oem caliber or of stronger clutches?

The guy who rebuilt my transmission and installed the 350z TransGo kit in it talked to IPT about the VB and their clutches.

He ended up going with Borg Warner clutches, and machining the case to add an extra 4th & 5th gear clutch.

He said the IPT rebuild kit was probably as good a deal as the IPT valve body that he yanked out of my car. He wouldn't warranty anything if there were IPT parts in it. He said the IPT VB was crap as far as shifting went.

Mind you I'm sure the higher line pressure has saved a few trannys, so from that aspect the owners did receive some value ($769 VB vs. $5k total rebuild).

I'd like to be able to run 20 minute track sessions, 4-5 in a track day.

I've only tested my set-up in an auto-cross type format of one hot lap, stage and wait 10 minutes for another hot lap, etc.

Zero tranny issues so far, however I always and only drive it in manual mode and my current tranny has always had an extremely soft 4-5th shift.

My motor can handle way more power and my turbo can handle 25psi if I had a FMIC setup, so I'd like to know that drop-in clutch kits are in CD's hands if I ever needed them.

Plus, I'm sitting on my orig tranny that I pulled after my BNR 16g tuner did the complete tune in auto mode and really abused the tranny. ( I wasn't available to drive it for the tune). I never gave it enough time for TCU to learn to shift the 16G before motor was torn down for valve job that ended being a complete long-block replacement. Based on the motor build I sourced a new-to-me 40K tranny and a Hexmods VB and went from there.

So, I may be sitting on a good to go 86K tranny, likely I'm not though after all the other "mods" that 5EAT went through. The worst one being tuner suggesting running the car w/o recirc valve in place/ vent to atmosphere and my tranny hated life for a week. Knock your teeth out kind of shifts for a week couldn't have been good for hard parts let alone soft parts.

So, bring on those drop-in clutch packs ;) I still don't find another Subie more attractive to daily drive and track drive than my GT wagon!

id be interested in some plug n play clutch packs too.

im about to do a few 30 min sessions this sat.

since im not certain about the limits of the rebuilt trans i have + vb, ill prob be at 5/10ths, and a few wot laps (gotta learn the track too!).

I want knock-your-teeth-out shifts :(

have you asked IPT if their rebuild kit is of oem caliber or of stronger clutches?

Yea, everyone, im well aware of the ipt vb scenario. Just asking about their clutch packs

Make up your mind then. You know about IPT and then you wonder if I considered buying a clutch pack from them?

Why don't you go first and let me know how that goes for you :confused:

So, the fact that they sell a bunk vb mod means that their clutch packs are also shit? I didn't know such generalizations meant everything. There hasn't been many negative reviews on the rebuilt tranny's from them, just the rediculousness of their vb mod, which we all know and do not buy. If you were so adament about finding better clutches, you wouldn't atleast ask them? I want harder shifts but am not refering to purchasing their vb mod, hexmods is the way to go for that particular item.

That's cool, you run that trail and neglect to answer any of my questions. Clearly you have not investigated clutch options outside of your little ignorant bubble. If you wanted better clutches you would've have searched high and low and come up with a conclusion of who makes better ones and who doesn't, but you clearly fail to read any of my questions nor prove to come up with a proper answer, instead respond with uneducated, ground-less responses to base your decisions on. Keep up the fine work, son.

So, the fact that they sell a bunk vb mod means that their clutch packs are also shit? I didn't know such generalizations meant everything. There hasn't been many negative reviews on the rebuilt tranny's from them, just the rediculousness of their vb mod, which we all know and do not buy. If you were so adament about finding better clutches, you wouldn't atleast ask them? I want harder shifts but am not refering to purchasing their vb mod, hexmods is the way to go for that particular item.

Hmn, you think they have somebody make up some special heavy duty clutches just for them, just for this application that aren't available anywhere to anybody else? :lol:

I do believe, I do believe :lol:

Considering they boast the "high performance" transmission builds they do, my question was, do they use heavier duty clutches or do they use oem. That is all, and it seems no one can confirm or deny that they do.

• Mega Users
They probably just use oem and machine the drums to allow a couple more clutches in them. There's no way they're using borg warner parts. That would go against their company culture of screwing over customers.

Considering they boast the "high performance" transmission builds they do, my question was, do they use heavier duty clutches or do they use oem. That is all, and it seems no one can confirm or deny that they do.

they just raise the pressure a bit.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Please keep technical discussion about various transmission upgrades to their respective threads. This diary/journal is getting real messy.

Finished insulating garage door. Used 8 sheets of 4' x 8' x 3/4" R-Max foam sheathing from Home Depot, for my two-car garage door. So I have two layers installed, 1.5" thick of foam in every panel, for $110 in materials. Friction fit, no glue or tape. Took a LONG time to cut each piece to perfect size. Had to be done, as I intend to put in long hours all summer.

Each sheet of 3/4" thick R-Max foam sheathing has an R value of 5. So I have an R10 garage door :eek:

Garage temperature is 6-10*F lower with no other changes. I still need to insulate the few feet of empty drywall-covered framing above the garage door. All other sides are insulated with some version of rock wool /stone wool / mineral wool / whatever you want to call it. This wool material as insulation has the secondary benefit of some sound insulation, which is very good to discover already installed in your garage walls :)

Temperatures were/are low 90s all week, so getting halfway to ambient just with insulation is awesome! Still going to plumb in a portable AC unit, which will hopefully drop the temp to 70 :D

I have pics on my phone, will upload later, maybe.

Archived