LegacyGT.com

ClimberD's / HexMods Diary

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Made some progress on my car...

pulled front rotors, which are shot. New rotor rings on order.

Hopefully I can get the damn from brake lines to not rub on the tire. They're from someone else's car, so they have an irritating form memory I am having trouble repeating.

Pulled all 4 KWs, will clean the collar threading and set to new ride height.

Coming along...

I'm going to redo my engine bay wiring harness, make it a lot more accessible and easy to work with.

http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/500/555/555-1067x.jpg

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performance+Products/555/10670/10002/-1

Found these low profile zip ties, which I will try to use on larger vinyl sheath ends. They do not look like they will work on small diameter parts of the loom, so will have to live with the cube-end zip ties, or a proper wire harness tape.

Also trying to figure out the right tape, since electrical tape has been nothing but a disappointment.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/F4-Tape-Self-fusing-Silicone-Black/dp/B002LA2258/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337031802&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: F4 Tape Self-fusing Silicone Tape Black: Home Improvement[/ame]

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Putting more time on VB research than before. I need the car to be running. Will most likely do wiring after VBs. Wiring is such a time drainer.
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

sounds good!

seeing as you're mating an 08 vb to an 05 tranny, maybe this will open up more options for 05 people wanting the potential benefits of the denso vb

That's not the plan, they're not interchangeable. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Fine. Unsubscribed.

^ Not really something that has an easy answer, but why do some members feel the need to post 'unsubscribed' prior to unsubscribing from the thread. Especially on a thread that is essentially a personal journey about an owner and his car?

Seems a bit childish

Made some progress on my car...

pulled front rotors, which are shot. New rotor rings on order.

Hopefully I can get the damn from brake lines to not rub on the tire. They're from someone else's car, so they have an irritating form memory I am having trouble repeating.

Pulled all 4 KWs, will clean the collar threading and set to new ride height.

Coming along...

I'm going to redo my engine bay wiring harness, make it a lot more accessible and easy to work with.

http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/500/555/555-1067x.jpg

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performance+Products/555/10670/10002/-1

Found these low profile zip ties, which I will try to use on larger vinyl sheath ends. They do not look like they will work on small diameter parts of the loom, so will have to live with the cube-end zip ties, or a proper wire harness tape.

Also trying to figure out the right tape, since electrical tape has been nothing but a disappointment.

Amazon.com: F4 Tape Self-fusing Silicone Tape Black: Home Improvement

i have some of that silicone tape. but it doesn't realy stick to anything else, its how they make 90 deg and other fancy silicone couplers.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

i have some of that silicone tape. but it doesn't realy stick to anything else, its how they make 90 deg and other fancy silicone couplers.

That'll be fine, I'll wrap it tight to see what it can do. That or resort to 3M scotch Super 33+ electrical tape, or combo of one then the other, or I'll keep looking for a different tape. Was hoping it would be easy to find the right product and order it for the shelf, but I guess not that easy. Don't want to de-pin the connectors to get shrink wrap in.

That'll be fine, I'll wrap it tight to see what it can do. That or resort to 3M scotch Super 33+ electrical tape, or combo of one then the other, or I'll keep looking for a different tape. Was hoping it would be easy to find the right product and order it for the shelf, but I guess not that easy. Don't want to de-pin the connectors to get shrink wrap in.

I have a pack of those low-profile zip ties somewhere at home. They're nice in the sense that you don't have a bulky cube sitting atop the zip-tie, but the problem with them is that they're harder to pull tightly. If you need a really tightly pulled zip-tie the low-pros are not the ones to use. For your wiring harness, they should work perfectly though. If I remember right, I got a pack of them at Home Depot...they have a pretty healthy selection of zip ties.

In terms of electrical tape...i've done a ton of electrical projects on my other cars (and soon on my LGT) and the ONLY electrical tape i'll use on my own projects is Scotch 33+. It's the best electrical tape, IMHO...so much easier to wrap wiring bundles tightly with a high quality electrical tape versus the cheap stuff that doesn't stretch and doesn't stick. It looks much better too since it ends up looking much tighter. Kinda pricey, but so worth it, IMHO if you're kind of a perfectionist like me...:)

I have a pack of those low-profile zip ties somewhere at home. They're nice in the sense that you don't have a bulky cube sitting atop the zip-tie, but the problem with them is that they're harder to pull tightly. If you need a really tightly pulled zip-tie the low-pros are not the ones to use. For your wiring harness, they should work perfectly though. If I remember right, I got a pack of them at Home Depot...they have a pretty healthy selection of zip ties.

In terms of electrical tape...i've done a ton of electrical projects on my other cars (and soon on my LGT) and the ONLY electrical tape i'll use on my own projects is Scotch 33+. It's the best electrical tape, IMHO...so much easier to wrap wiring bundles tightly with a high quality electrical tape versus the cheap stuff that doesn't stretch and doesn't stick. It looks much better too since it ends up looking much tighter. Kinda pricey, but so worth it, IMHO if you're kind of a perfectionist like me...:)

Thanks for the tip!

Does the Scotch 33+ hold up in the engine bay? That is my biggest concern.

Thanks for the tip!

Does the Scotch 33+ hold up in the engine bay? That is my biggest concern.

NP...but yes it holds up pretty well in the engine bay. I think the key is to pull it tight when you're wrapping wires with it. It stretches a good deal more than your run-of-the-mill electrical tape and if you pull it nice and tight, the tension (in addition to the adhesive of course) helps to hold it in place.

Cool thanks!

New front rotor rings are in from RacingBrake.com.

Great since my old ones are fried.

I may have a brembo piston not retracting properly back into the caliper, so it may be rebuild time. Would be a good opportunity to powdercoat them...

Got K&S rear adapter rotors in, and OnkleRacing parking brake shoes.

Trying to get this done right so I can have the car to enjoy without lingering issues.

• 3 weeks later...

Moved into new place! It has a nice garage, which I'm making nicer.

Installed 8x T8 fluorescent tubes for lighting.

Going to pressure wash, scrape and strip cement floor, get it as clean as possible. Then will seal it a few times until it's good for working on.

Going to insulate the panels of the garage door with two 3/4" thick sheets of R-Max insulation. Then perhaps do a full cover of the inside of the garage door with radiant barrier sheet.

At some point, going to paint all the walls with semigloss white, so I can better see what I'm working on. Semigloss will reflect more light, and will be easier to clean if someone/something contacts it.

Going to check the wall surrounding the garage door to see if it is insulated. If not, then going to insulate it with quiet-bat in the big areas, and Great Stuff Big Gap Filler polyurethane expanding foam in the small areas if I find any non-insulated areas.

Already found the left and right walls are filled with some sort of insulation that I will identify tonight. Awesome to find that!

The back wall of the garage backs up to a living space, so I suspect it is both insulated and sound deadened. Metal saws are LOUD, so we'll see what sound gets through.

Upstairs in my office, going to setup a space for R&D, valve body modifications and clutch pack rebuilding. Top concern for the space is keeping ATF from getting on anything.

Lastly, spending a small fortune on new tools for the garage.

Work bench.

Shelving.

Cordless electric impacts (Milwaukee 1/2" and 3/8").

Impact socket set, shallow and deep (somehow gotten this far without one).

MIG and possibly TIG (later).

Milwaukee metal miter saw.

Nice shop vac (Hoover).

Nice modest pressure washer (AR383).

Portable A/C or fan or combination to keep the garage cool and dry (Texas problems).

A lot more.

Also doing all the honey-do chores, such as interior lighting installs, replacing flooring in one bathroom, hanging paintings, etc. Time drain adds up. It will all be done soon.

Coilovers are going back together soon.

Then it's finishing the Brembo rebuild, then getting the car into my garage where it will live until it's all ready to rock and roll!

I wish I had made a move like this a year ago. Excited to finally be able to get real work done and make forward progress.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a new 2/3 time job (for real now): HexMods!

I fought myself for the longest time about making aftermarket modifications a serious job. Until recently, I was sticking to my guns that this would only be a small thing on the side.

Long story short, I have become comfortable with the idea of such a drastic career track change, and I have the spousal support to make it happen (this is most important, since I'm going to have to work 4x as hard to make as much money). However, I like the aftermarket 20x more, I really enjoy interacting with most of you. I feel that I have not been able to serve some of you very well in the past, and I hope this course correction results in better service going forward.

Lastly, many of you have noticed I have not been on the forums much anymore. A former president of Limited Brands once told a group "you can't all become consultants; we need some of you to actually DO something so the rest of you will have something to consult on." Every minute I'm posting on the forums, I'm not doing anything. My intention is to make up for lost time, and get to doing.

I'm off to work :)

true words. but surely, weekly or periodic updates on progress of up-coming products will keep customers wanting more. we've heard no progress or milestones in the 08+ vb reverse engineering. no word, nothing. hope is being lost.

Archived