LegacyGT.com

Gutting your dp/up

I've been stage 1 for about 1.5 years and recently i've been considering going stage 2 and gutting my dp/up. I've done quite a bit of reading on the forums but i would still like to know is there a large difference in power gains between gutted dp/up and aftermarket dp/up?

I've also been searching for a DIY for gutting your dp/up but cant seem to find any. I'd appreciate if anyone can help me out with that.

I would just suggest grabbing up and STI up pipe or an aftermarket up. It is super easy and they you can delete your EGT sensor at the same time. I recommend doing this simply for the security that it provides.
[

Get some used up pipes and down pipes. Prices are so good and they are relatively easy swaps. Or a tuner shop can put them in for a couple hours labor.

The good news is you then have your fully functional non-hacked factory pipes should you ever need them again for re-selling your car.

Of course gutting them is the cheapest option but you still have to take them off and on again. If you take the factory ones off yourself, putting aftermarket pipes on takes the same time.

The downside of gutting your factory UP is that ANYTHING that is missed becomes debris inside your turbo. I've gutted a cat before and thought that I got everything, but when I started it up there were a couple black chunks flying out. I would HATE to think that those chunks got into my turbo.

I'd go with an STi Up pipe. The uppipe cat is tough as nails and you run the risk of leaving something behind. The earlier (02-03) ones were the same material as the downpipe, but when I gutted my 05, it was a bear. It's less than $100 for the pipe, and from what I've seen anything from 02-08 works. I haven't got to play with anything newer than 08 yet.

If you don't have high horsepower aspirations, there's no need to spend money on a down pipe. The cats can be had with a long masonry drill bit, a long screwdriver, and a mallet. Unlike the up, the 2 in the dp are buttery soft.

Don't forget a tune. DIY or buy, but it's a must. The car will run and drive as long as you keep your foot out of the gas, so you can drive it to a tuner if you prefer that route... you'll just get a CEL for no cats. If you're paying for a tune, ask about having the EGT limits raised so that you can keep the sensor functional. It's literally a 1 minute fix.

edit: You could also pick up an 06+ wrx pipe. When they went to 2.5 in the wrx they eliminated the cat.

what do you guys think about getting an STi uppipe, gutting my own downpipe and then getting an infamous1 tune? will there be a significant difference in power from a gutted DP and an aftermarket DP?

Dude, search. You'll find out soooo much more information and you may even find a tune you can use. I've had my car for 2 months and I'm already able to modify a tune, read logs, and understand almost everything I've needed to know about my car. Had to put in the work searching and reading though.

What he said. But to answer your question...Uppipe-check NASIOC or check out infamous since you already mentioned him. He'll set get you what you need.

DP-you could gut you dp for free. There are members on here that have done it. I prefer an aftermarket with a bellmouth design. CNT dp go for $300. If low on cash, then just gut the dp. You'll sacrafice some power but got to do what you can.

Tune-Is an absolute must for a gutted dp or aftermarket dp. You can get an e-tune from infamous or the Accessport route. You also could get a dyno tune but those are pricey (4-500 bones).

i havent gone stage 2 yet but read a lot on it. gut your pipes if you are short on money but i personally would buy uppipe and down pipe cuz u can always sell it later on. i also dont want to make a mistake or damage stock parts which i might or will use again if i ever sell the car or have any problems down the road.

what do you guys think about getting an STi uppipe, gutting my own downpipe and then getting an infamous1 tune? will there be a significant difference in power from a gutted DP and an aftermarket DP?

This is a great combo if you're on a tight budget. I've been running it for over a year now. It's been great fun. You're not leaving much on the table at stage 2 power levels. If you decide to go for more power with a larger turbo definitely get an aftermarket DP.

You'll still have a cat in the second part of the DP as you're just gutting the first one in the "shorty" part of the DP just after the turbo.

The tune takes care of any CEL's you'll get. You can also add a resistor to the EGT sensor you'll be unplugging in the UP. Here's a link for that...

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131488&highlight=resistor

$300? If you're looking at catless you can get it for under $200 shipped. Check the vendor classified section.

It's a matter of preference and a few ponies between catless and catted dp. I'd venture a guess most people would vote for catted dp...for many reasons.

I can tell you, stage 1 to catless stage 2 is a nice performance gain. My 05 gets from 70-110mph much faster then my 09 Spec B at stage 1.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I know a lot of people go for catted, I just figured since OP was talking about gutting his stock DP then having a cat back there wasn't a concern for him.

When you gut the first cat in your DP to run a stage 2 map there's still another cat. ;)

Archived