LegacyGT.com

Official 5th Generation Suspension Thread

I wouldn't use Megan or any of the cheaper coilovers if you plan to drive in the winter where they use Salt. Definitely go with KW's or Racecomps. KW actually salt tests their coilovers for hours when they do testing.

Thanks, I forgot all about that issue. There are a lot more parts to seize from the weather. Here in PA they salt the bah-jiggers over everything in the winter and we get a fair amount of snow/ice.

Yup, for pricing on RCE T2's (which are KW V3's with more aggressive valving), give Myles a call.... hes one of the vendors (Racecomp Engineering)

Low in the summer raise it up in the winter

just remember, every time you raise or lower the car, you should get an alignment because your toe and camber will change. ;)

I hate paying for alignments so I found a happy medium and stuck with that year round.

just remember, every time you raise or lower the car, you should get an alignment because your toe and camber will change. ;)

I hate paying for alignments so I found a happy medium and stuck with that year round.

Well my thoughts of coilovers have been assuredly crushed:rolleyes:

Back to my old way of doing things; spring/strut packages.

I think the only one making Struts is Myles (racecomp). In the meantime i recommend the Swift springs while you are waiting :)

Just got an update from Swift. The first batch is on the ocean from Japan and will be here shortly. There's only 10 sets made for this 1st batch and I will either make new thread or update the current one when I get more info about how to acquire them.

-Gary

I think the only one making Struts is Myles (racecomp). In the meantime i recommend the Swift springs while you are waiting :)

Curious, why just a recommendation for swift? I've tourchered the car on the RCE Blacks on and off pavement. This is with 18x9 rims with 35 offset. Tires have never hit the fenders.

Given the soft spring rates of stock, any change is a good change. Myles has been the only visible and clearly interested fabricator over the last few years. Given the departure of the Fth gen from 4th in many areas, Myles involvement from the start, his requesting test cars and so forth made my selection simple.

Maybe he is looking for a larger drop then the RCE's can give, personally i didnt go with the RCE's because of looking at pictures upon pictures of them on cars i really can tell a difference with them and the stock springs but im sure they are a solid spring given myles' experence, what they claim and users feedback.

Curious, why just a recommendation for swift? I've tourchered the car on the RCE Blacks on and off pavement. This is with 18x9 rims with 35 offset. Tires have never hit the fenders.

Given the soft spring rates of stock, any change is a good change. Myles has been the only visible and clearly interested fabricator over the last few years. Given the departure of the Fth gen from 4th in many areas, Myles involvement from the start, his requesting test cars and so forth made my selection simple.

I wish I can explain the comparisons and their past relationship regarding the 2 said companies, but since I don't represent Swift, I can only be nice and express my personal opinions. :) About RCE's black springs for 5th gen, they do have a nice market for those who wants an improvement while keeping more stock-like clearance.

For moderate drop with 2 finger gap F&R, Swift would be a great choice. I understand it may not be the more appropriate drop for all, but it would great for most and believe me when I say that their springs are very well engineered/tested while working with data acquired from Subaru's engineers. Swift's manufacturing/quality control are also very strict. For example, if the spring-ends wind up to +/- 1mm, it is not good enough and they won't even ship it.

Swift's aftermarket business is only about 10% while the rest is all focused on various racing industries throughout the world, so you'd never see them in the forums. But from what I know and in my opinion, I know they test/analysis all competitor's products and has tons of data about them. Swift uses a superior material that allows very consistent data on the dyno. It produce fast coil response, less unsprung mass, and it does not have the break-in sag. To be honest, if Swift didn't make springs for us, I would definitely have gone with KW-V3 and swap out the springs to Swift, but that'd be too much $$$ for a dd.

Advice Needed!

I just picked up my 2010 LGT on Tuesday and drove it 1600 miles to my home in the west. Tremendous highway car stock, but a quick drive on my favorite twisties tells me some suspension work is needed.

Here are my requirements. I'm moving to a small town where it snows and there are lots of dirt roads, so I don't want to lose much height. I just want to reduce body roll and float. And money is definitely an issue.

My thought is to start with a rear anti sway bar and front strut tower brace. I'd like some advice on brands. I read here that changing the front brace requres lifting the engine...I'd like to avoid that expense.

If that is not enough, I'd probably swap springs. I'd like input on which ones are good that don't give a severe drop.

I'd only swap out the struts if the stock ones don't work with the springs.

I love this site. I used to lurk here in '05 when my wife OBXT 5speed was new. She's 62, and loves blowing Mustang GT's off the line in her station wagon!.I just sold my BMW M3, so I am used to a great handling car. All your help will be appreciated.

I wish I can explain the comparisons and their past relationship regarding the 2 said companies, but since I don't represent Swift, I can only be nice and express my personal opinions. :) About RCE's black springs for 5th gen, they do have a nice market for those who wants an improvement while keeping more stock-like clearance.

For moderate drop with 2 finger gap F&R, Swift would be a great choice. I understand it may not be the more appropriate drop for all, but it would great for most and believe me when I say that their springs are very well engineered/tested while working with data acquired from Subaru's engineers. Swift's manufacturing/quality control are also very strict. For example, if the spring-ends wind up to +/- 1mm, it is not good enough and they won't even ship it.

Swift's aftermarket business is only about 10% while the rest is all focused on various racing industries throughout the world, so you'd never see them in the forums. But from what I know and in my opinion, I know they test/analysis all competitor's products and has tons of data about them. Swift uses a superior material that allows very consistent data on the dyno. It produce fast coil response, less unsprung mass, and it does not have the break-in sag. To be honest, if Swift didn't make springs for us, I would definitely have gone with KW-V3 and swap out the springs to Swift, but that'd be too much $$$ for a dd.

Are you sure you don't represent Swift? :lol:

I read here that changing the front brace requres lifting the engine...I'd like to avoid that expense.

you need to lift the engine for the front swaybar, not front strut tower brace.

The strut tower brace shouldnt take very long to install with simple hand tools.

I still don't feel that a strut tower brace is worthwhile on these cars though...

Advice Needed!

I just picked up my 2010 LGT on Tuesday and drove it 1600 miles to my home in the west. Tremendous highway car stock, but a quick drive on my favorite twisties tells me some suspension work is needed.

Here are my requirements. I'm moving to a small town where it snows and there are lots of dirt roads, so I don't want to lose much height. I just want to reduce body roll and float. And money is definitely an issue.

My thought is to start with a rear anti sway bar and front strut tower brace. I'd like some advice on brands. I read here that changing the front brace requres lifting the engine...I'd like to avoid that expense.

If that is not enough, I'd probably swap springs. I'd like input on which ones are good that don't give a severe drop.

I'd only swap out the struts if the stock ones don't work with the springs.

I love this site. I used to lurk here in '05 when my wife OBXT 5speed was new. She's 62, and loves blowing Mustang GT's off the line in her station wagon!.I just sold my BMW M3, so I am used to a great handling car. All your help will be appreciated.

My current setup:

RCE "Functional" Lowering Springs (0.75" drop F&R)

19mm 2010 Subaru STI RSB (stock is 16mm), $75 for the bar w/ bushings

GT SPEC Front strut tower bar

Pirelli PZero Nero M+S tires (36f 34r)

IMHO, this is one of the best setups if you want to improve handling while actually improving ride quality at the same time. This is not a super aggressive setup, it is meant to be a daily driver in LA, but also meant to be driven like a maniac in the malibu canyons on the weekend. The springs are tuned to work with the stock struts (and they do so quite well). This is how the LGT should have come from the factory IMO.

The strut tower brace shouldnt take very long to install with simple hand tools.

I still don't feel that a strut tower brace is worthwhile on these cars though...

I noticed a very small improvement in turn-in responsiveness with the strut tower bar, but that's about it. To me it's worth the $150 though, even if it is just a small improvement in handling, especially when I'm shelling out the same $150 per tire anyway, which last me maybe 10,000mi if I don't totally thrash them in the canyons.

Are you sure you don't represent Swift? :lol:

^^this

^^and this. Nothing against strut tower braces, but spend the $$ elsewhere first--tint, bushings, brake pads, etc.

all, just to confirm the 08+wrx/sti Whiteline rear sway endlinks will fit right? didn't see it in the first post...

KLC172/KLC166

That is correct. The front endlinks are on backorder everywhere however.