LegacyGT.com

Smoking leads to big headaches

Hello everyone...I been on this fourm just never posted...

Well i just brought my first Subaru.. Was all about honda

Any way i brought a 2005 subaru legacy gt...

When i brought it.. it had 99,995 miles on it... The car had 3 pages of mantance work every time it was due it was done.

They told me they had just replaced the turbo with a new one.. So when i test drove the car they said the smoke was from oil on the motor so i said ok.....Then after a day or two it stopped... So about a month or two the car started to smoke again random but only in the mourning..i took it to them and they said leave it so i did.

Week one they was supposely checking it out. No call so i call them.They did a compression test.They told me the pistion is bad and they told me they will fix it. So i said ok..

The next week i called they said that its takin the part a while to get to them cuz of the tsunimi......

Later that week towards the end they tell me the rod is bad...Then i was told it would be done into the next week then i called the

next week the bearings are scorn... So im gonna get new bearings also...

But now im into this week and now they telling me a piston ring is bad...

Im like WTF cuz shit they pose to be the best in Ct for dealer and service...Why didnt they find this all out in one shot.

I want my damm car back..Its all getting done under warrenty..

Has anyone had this problem motor wise:spin::spin:

If they replaced the turbo because it was bad and didn't flush the engine then they screwed up and all the problems you see are due to residue in the engine from the blown turbo.

There's even a TSB describing that a flush is needed.

453747.png

Gee, I have never heard of such a thing. Sorry, welcome to the forum.

Your's in far from the first one of these we've heard about.

Dealers are dumb when it comes to these cars. They can save themselves money by just replacing the shortblock. Even my buddy who owns a auto machine shop told me, it cheaper to buy a new OEM short block then pay him to rebuild mine. The short block can be had for around $2000 or a little less.

You can tell us the stealership name if you want.

BTW, they all say the are the best in the state.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Not to defend dealers too much, but you can't blame them for thinking some part has gone bad, and as the engine is apart, they realize a whole pile of stuff has broken as well.

They don't have a magic microscope that sees thru steel while standing out in the parking lot looking at the car for the first time.

Consider it exploratory surgery.

Have them put a new shortblock in there and call it a day. This is not the first or the last time this will happen.

I am amazed at how many people are buying cars with problems and then are surprised when some other part brakes.

[

Not to defend dealers too much, but you can't blame them for thinking some part has gone bad, and as the engine is apart, they realize a whole pile of stuff has broken as well.

They don't have a magic microscope that sees thru steel while standing out in the parking lot looking at the car for the first time.

Consider it exploratory surgery.

I could may be agree with you if this was 2005. But it's the middle of 2011, these cars have history.

I find it hard to believe any good mechanic would just replace a piston, with the old rings in one of these engine's without doing a proper rebuild.

Sorry to disagree with you on this one Gire.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I could may be agree with you if this was 2005. But it's the middle of 2011, these cars have history.

I find it hard to believe any good mechanic would just replace a piston, with the old rings in one of these engine's without doing a proper rebuild.

Who's paying for it? The sales department at the dealership. They took in a six year old car with 100k on it. The tech inspected it and reported that the turbo needed replacing and attached the laundry list of what it needed to be done right. Sales said "replace the turbo only and see how it goes."

Then somebody bought it. Now Sales isn't just trying to minimize costs against some future hypothetical sale, they know exactly how much money they made on it and are desperate to keep additional costs to $0 so every nut and bolt is going to be intensely questioned. Service did the best job that they were allowed to do. The tech wanted to fix the car properly, that work just didn't get approved.

Ill post the dealership when i get the car back I dont want to step on toes till i get it back..

I got the car from a Subaru Dealership where the car was service all its life.

When i was told the turbo was replaced i thought it was not gonna be a problem this is my first turbo car and first subaru but its leaving a bad taste in my mouth is this the road i have to go down cuz its to exspensive granted i got a 3yr/36000 mile warrenty.

I wish they would have just replaced the short block but they probly want to save money. I have no control cuz its covered under warrenty

...granted i got a 3yr/36000 mile warrenty.

It sounds more like a service contract, and they care more about keeping the cost down than about fixing it right (or within a reasonable amount of time). The guys approving things here are the same kind of guys who only approved replacing the turbo instead of everything the turbo took out.

Has more to do with the realities of a 6-year old turbo car and the economics of car dealers more than anything at all to do with Subaru.

And the fact that 95% of all owners of turbocharged cars don't know how to properly drive/maintain them.

Archived