LegacyGT.com

new to subaru's.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I drove around a bit when I had the Outback bumper on my auto with no fog lights. Creates drag like you wouldn't believe & it's very noticeable not mention bad for the plastic behind it in the wheel well. With enough time, I'd imagine those tearing right off after resisting the wind for a little while. A more aerodynamic bumper would be best.

• I Donated
can someone explain what piggyback is?? lol. cause i've no idea. :/ sorry i'm complete noob to this type of stuff.

A piggyback is a type of fuel management system.

Basically, you have stock, piggyback, and stand alone ecus.

Stock = what orignally came in your car

Piggyback = an addition to the stock ECU. It runs WITH your stock one and allows you to "tune" your car by running custom air / fuel ratios, ignition timing, etc.

Stand Alone ECU = a complete replacement for your stock ECU. This is the most powerful option, but is usually reserved for track only cars....or hard core modders like myself lol

If you run custom settings in the ECU, you can add power, add MPG, etc. Change how the engine runs, you will change its performance and economy. On our cars however, you can not do this with the stock ECU, so at least a piggyback system is needed. To be honest with you, its not worth the money if you're just looking to squeeze a few MPGs. If you ever get into heavily modding your car however, then it will be time to look into it

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

• I Donated
so i'm going to the scrap yard tomorrow. what year bumpers and from what cars can i get? not sure there will be alot to pick from, but i'm gonna try.

any 95 - 99 Legacy or Outback. Remember though, if you change bumpers, you will have to change the beam behind it as well.

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

• I Donated

the grounding mod will help out with a lot of things.

before i did the grounding mod on my old legacy, i had problems with the amp for my sub overheating and shutting off. after i did the grounding mod, it never happened again. all of my other electrical stuff worked better as well.....brighter lights, faster wipers, etc. It also helped smooth out my idle a little bit

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

Yeah I heard its a great thing to do. lol. also cheap. So I need to get my exhaust fixed. One of my cats and part of pipes broke off. rusted all the way through. Will it be cheaper to get stock stuff put back on? or should i get some performance stuff?

• I Donated
the cats have to be OEM to my knowledge. Now would be a good time to go to a muffler shop and have them run you new pipe from the cat - back and install a decent aftermarket muffler

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

• I Donated

I think the problem with replacement cats is making them fit. I just ran a cat-back system on mine. Never messed with the cats.

And to be honest with you, you're not really going to get a performance gain from high flow cats. You really don't need to worry about exhaust restrictions until you start hitting high horsepower numbers. On a car thats all stock (or close to it), its just really a waste of money

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

then i'll ask a question i haven't found a answer to yet. Is there a white backed gauge cluster from like another car that will fit in mine? i know i can get after market but thats to much money. and i know i can change the colors. but haven't found anything bout this. lol

ok. I'm thinking about buying this i just wanna make sure that it will work before. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-01-IMPREZA-2-2L-2-5L-CHROME-SHORT-RAM-AIR-INTAKE-/170634134667?_trksid=p4506.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D2%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D9108981713566085218

will this fit like the other ebay intakes i've been reading about?

it won't hurt anything to take it out, it can just cause some stumbling down low at WOT. read the link i posted. basically there is a resonance that the "snorkus" cancels that causes the MAF to read high between 1000 and 1800 rpm. it thus dumps more fuel than needed. the ECU tries to correct this based on the O2 reading but it can only compensate so much. it isn't enough to hurt the motor but can cause some momentary hesitation.

Ok. so i've had big gap in my exhaust from the cat to almost the muffler. ITs bout 2 1/2 foot long. My parents are going to pay to repair but i was looking i Think i can do it my self if i get the borla replica headers new cat and a new muffler and some pipes? I've looked all over and haven't found anything showing how to do this. so. any help here? if i get that head is it all bolt on? lol. cause i have no clue. thanks for any help. and thanks to you guys that have helped me out with all the stuff i've asked. :D helped alot.

Archived