LegacyGT.com

Drove an M1 Yesterday

Chassis dynamics, solid 10. Feels like it was carved from a piece of granite.

Engine, doesn't feel like a turbo motor. Actually surprised at how slow it felt. Nice car though, styling is beautiful.

Shifter? Schwinggggg!!!!

Anyone else drive one?

It says M1 on the back???????

Still, compared to my RattleRue it's a great car. Rao, what is it you don't like about the car?, just curious.

I think my LGT would demolish it in a straight line. 0-60 in 4.9 my butt! It felt slow.

It says M1 on the back???????

Still, compared to my RattleRue it's a great car. Rao, what is it you don't like about the car?, just curious.

I think my LGT would demolish it in a straight line. 0-60 in 4.9 my butt! It felt slow.

Clown car = too small.

They are nice if you want to wedge yourself into one, but pricey (no surprise there).

To expensive for what it is. Is it still understeer happy?

I just remember the regular 3 series driving much better then a non M 1 series. Also, for some reason I am just not interested in this car, which is weird because I usually anticipate new BMW releases.

Personally, I am still waiting for this Subaru/Toyota coupe to come out. I think that car will be the one to look out for in the small coupe segment. I hope it doesn't get watered down too much from its concept form.

I wasn't able to push it too hard, the guy just got it and I didn't want to scare the poop out of him or worse, crash his car. Although the initial feeling in curves was understeer, I wanted to try and see if I could "rotate" the car with throttle, but again I didn't want to beat on his new toy.

Personally, I am still waiting for this Subaru/Toyota coupe to come out. I think that car will be the one to look out for in the small coupe segment. I hope it doesn't get watered down too much from its concept form.

I think it's pretty much guaranteed to be totally watered down. Have you seen the spy shots? Unless they are just using a mule with a non-production body it looks like ass. The Toyota concept looks much sexier, but it's going to be a freaking Scion, so I'm sure you'll be able to get color-matched lighting underneath the seats. :rolleyes:

I think it's pretty much guaranteed to be totally watered down.

Yeah, I was a bit surprised that they are now showing it as a Scion. It doesn't make sense IMO but the bean counters at Toyota probably think Scion brand needs a shot in the arm more then Toyota.

I have faith that Subaru designers will make this one right, look how much time they have spent on this car and during that time period what kind of styling Subaru has put out. Looks like Subaru has been focusing too much on that coupe:lol:

But back to the M1...

I just pray these cars don't show up in the BMW drag racing scene. I think it is silly what some of those people do to a brand new $50k car to run low 12s.

This guy is a fabricator. He is making an exhaust mani (tubular) to fit one Garrett 30r or 35, I forget what he said. I'll post up pics when he is doen with it, he's real good. He does FMIC piping for WRX guys in the area here.

This guy is a fabricator. He is making an exhaust mani (tubular) to fit one Garrett 30r or 35, I forget what he said. I'll post up pics when he is doen with it, he's real good. He does FMIC piping for WRX guys in the area here.

That would be neat, I haven't heard of anyone successfully swapping out the stock N54 turbos yet and performing better. I think the limitation on these cars is the fuel system.

That would be neat, I haven't heard of anyone successfully swapping out the stock N54 turbos yet and performing better. I think the limitation on these cars is the fuel system.

Yes, this kid is a smart dude. He is thinking of a type of dual pump setup. Right now he's concentrating on the single turbo and mani which he thinks he can offer the complete set up for about 3K. Currently he says you need to spend 5k to upgrade those stock turbos, basicly bigger compressor wheels and clipped exhaust turbine wheels.

Chassis dynamics, solid 10. Feels like it was carved from a piece of granite.

Engine, doesn't feel like a turbo motor. Actually surprised at how slow it felt. Nice car though, styling is beautiful.

Shifter? Schwinggggg!!!!

Anyone else drive one?

I'm disappointed, I thought you did drive the real M1:

http://germancarscene.com/wp-content/uploads/bmw-m1-26-3-08.jpg

453747.png

Jeez ehsnils, I was a kid when that came out. I never took to the Delorean styling of that car. The first Bimmer I ever drove was a E24 633csi, I didn't even have a license yet! I think it was an Alpina (alphina?) model too.

http://manualspace.com/1984BMWe24_633csi.jpg

Hold some of that laughter until BMW comes out with a compact FWD that shares the platform with the upcoming MINI Cooper

Ahhh yes, the new zero-series. :)

The M1 is a car for people too cheap to buy an M3

And people who think the new 3-series is just too damn big.

Fun fact: the current 1-series is bigger than my old 3-series.

Last time I went car shopping, I test drove a 3-series and was amazed how big and heavy they had become. I went into that test drive trying to convince myself that it wasn't that much more expensive that the other cars I was looking at... and finished the test drive relieved that could just scratch it off the list.

My previous car was an E30, so it's way old now, but still. I know cars bloat over time, but that just blew me away.

Yes, this kid is a smart dude. He is thinking of a type of dual pump setup. Right now he's concentrating on the single turbo and mani which he thinks he can offer the complete set up for about 3K. Currently he says you need to spend 5k to upgrade those stock turbos, basicly bigger compressor wheels and clipped exhaust turbine wheels.

Hmm.. That's interesting... Keep us in the loop on that development!

A bunch of very well regarded tuners have tried (ie. AMS) to figure out a turbo swap/fuel system upgrade for this engine in the past few years but no sucess yet.

Jeez ehsnils, I was a kid when that came out. I never took to the Delorean styling of that car. The first Bimmer I ever drove was a E24 633csi, I didn't even have a license yet! I think it was an Alpina (alphina?) model too.

http://manualspace.com/1984BMWe24_633csi.jpg

Yea my friend found a gem in the rough an alpina model the kid said that it was his dad sold it for 1500$. We went home and put the boost pipe on and a little other stuff...HAHA

I stopped by his shop last night. He had the front fascia off cutting everything is sight to fit a 24"x12"x3.5" front mount. He made the IC himself. I have to keep my camera in the car so I can snap pics of his pregress. Last night we were discussing fuel. Apparently it has an external main pump with a little pusher pump in the tank. I am brainstorming with him right now on his options.

Interesting thing he said, due to the direct injection he may not need to do injectors.??

I have seen many 1 series up close and personal and if it is going to be a daily driver for a non baby carrying person... then it is big enough, honestly BMW are a bad investment (if you buy them) anyways... I know the Utah state BMW warranty agent and she even says ONLY LEASE... They do honestly have the BEST industry WARRANTY up to 50k miles it covers EVERYTHING I mean Everything... but after that you are screwed and the cost of ownership from there you might as well buy a new car when work needs to be done.

All of that aside... For a car that light and that much horsepower to the rear wheel it will not have a hard time leaving many others as specs in the rear view mirror, but it is all in the rear wheels which sucks for snow.

this car is at the top of my list for business lease due to the the industry I am in.

Archived