LegacyGT.com

Proper flip key interest?

BAC5.2

Interested in an assisted open/close key?  

225 members have voted

1. 1. Interested in an assisted open/close key?

• Yes! I've been waiting for this!
    • No, the All-in-one is fine

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wife's company car has a flip key and it's a piece crap. Other flip keys I've seen have had problems with the hinge pin coming loose and just created a bigger key as a result of the plastic concealing the blade.

That's been my experience too. My wifes old VW key seemed to hold up alright, though.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

That flip key looks terrible, though.

This project is still in line, but is postponed until I can find a place willing to cut me a deal. I might have one, but the prototype will probably still cost a fortune. I'm going to redesign a few things, so the entire part can be cut without changing tooling, and see if that helps.

It might not look the greatest, but it's better than carrying around a huge key, plus a huge fob, plus an RSA token in my pocket. :mad:

Hell, it might look better than yours since nobody's seen it. ;)

You might want to show some people what they'll be buying before spending a bunch of your own cash on a prototype. I'm not saying that you're not making something nice, but an unseen product at an unknown price is a little hard to commit to.

I'll fork out the money to have one for myself. I don't need to sell them to make the project worth it for me. If people like the final product, then I'll do production runs as they come up. I'm not asking anyone to invest cash for something they've never seen.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

yall need to stop complaining... When you see the key to my originally over $50k sedan... is the same as a cavalier from 10 years ago... You figure out WHY GM needed bailing out in the first place.

BAC is trying to do something GODO for the community and people are giving him shit. sounds shittay to me.

Thanks!

I haven't forgotten about your Caddy key, or Xero's custom key. I've just been swamped with research and work.

I'll fork out the money to have one for myself. I don't need to sell them to make the project worth it for me. If people like the final product, then I'll do production runs as they come up. I'm not asking anyone to invest cash for something they've never seen.

Fair enough. If you're in it to make something you'll like, and aren't counting on a certain number of sales then you'll be fine. Since you're taking your time to make it right, I'm sure there will be interest in the part once you do have it available. I'm still interested, cost pending of course ;)

Sounds like you guys are on my wavelength.

A little bling never hurt. But right now I'm on a big vintage-warbird kick. I've been thinking about having a machine-turned outer surface with knurled edges. Saddly, I'm not quite at that stage yet. I still have to track down the time to move forward.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if this ends up below $100/ea. It sounds like you are doing it right, and I will definitely buy one.

BAC, if this goes well I think you should consider a Kickstarter project for GM vehicles and others that use that design of key fob. Could be quite profitable.

Thanks Brock, that's a good idea. I'm looking forward to the coming semester, because my time requirements will somewhat decrease and I'll be able to focus on bringing this thing to market.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if this ends up below $100/ea. It sounds like you are doing it right, and I will definitely buy one.

BAC, if this goes well I think you should consider a Kickstarter project for GM vehicles and others that use that design of key fob. Could be quite profitable.

Been telling him this for a while Kind of sad my 50K + original MSRP car came witht he same keys you would get on a old ass cavalier...:spin:

• 1 month later...
This vendor thread isn't to compare other keys, it's to log the interest and to develop a flip key product. Posts outside this scope, are considered "un-healthy banter" and take-away from the process.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Right now, I'm sitting on the redesign. I've got a ton of other stuff on my plate right now. Still in the pipeline, thats for sure, but It'll have to wait until after I finish my thesis.

Get that thesis to your wife to finish, so you can get on to more important stuff...like this flip key design and pre-production testing...:) j/k on the thesis, know that's an important milestone and priorities are priorities.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived