LegacyGT.com

Because the stock ones have proven to be faulty....for a 165 dollar part that can save your motor from a massive failure....takes an hour to install...I would call that a must.

Scott G

Can you show me the proof ?

What is the percentage of failures between 2004 and 2009 ?

Surely if it is such an easy fix to a common problem then it would have been addressed by Subaru, no ? And if it has been proven as you say, then where are the warranty claims ?

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup, WaWa. It is a smart move on their behalf. Higher quality fuel and they are helping the environment for most average users of E85. Of course most of us here just like the added power potentials it brings.

With the oil pickups, there are not as many 2005 Legacy GT failures as there are 06+ failures. They do on fact go slowly, it is just hard to see since the oil pickup is in the pan.

Basically Subaru decided to braze their oil pickup tubes to the flange. This would not be an issue had Subaru cleaned off the flux and other chemicals use while brazing, but they did not clean all of the brazes off fully. So what happens over time is the braze and oil become corrosive and weaken the brazed joint where the pickup meets the flange and then it cracks. After the crack it eventually falls off. I am at 130,000 miles on my oil pickup, so I doubt mine has this issue. As IDRVSLO said, they go quick and fast. They did a pole on NASIOC requesting users inputs on what year, makes, and models have had oil pickups break. There was a surprising number of 2002-2004 failures to. I think it is all luck if your subaru will have issues and dependent on how clean the braze was done and if it was cleaned properly after.

If you are handy with a welder, instead of paying $165 for a new oil pickup you could always just reinforce the joint. But you better be damn good at welding and be sure to clean the braze and bake the oil pickup to get the oil out before welding.

Subaru has not issued a recall because they are a business. They look at the amount of money it would cost to replace ALL oil pickups on these cars as apposed to only replacing ones under warranty. Subaru generall issue a bulletin to their techs letting them know of an expected rise warranty issues. The oil pickup was one bulletin, and the bearing issue in 08+ motors was another.

Because the stock ones have proven to be faulty....for a 165 dollar part that can save your motor from a massive failure....takes an hour to install...I would call that a must.

Scott G

Proven to be faulty.... really.

Hour to install... also interesting

9 out of 10 times I hear about an oil tube failure I hear this line, "Yeah, my mechanic was taking off the oil pan and then it fell out in two pieces. He said it was the dreaded cracked oil pick up tube."

Have you ever tried to take an oil pan off the car while the engine was still in it? It is a tight fit and the oil pickup tube is wedged in there. If you aren't gentle and careful it is very easy to break the tube as you take the pan off. So even if the tube did develop a small crack, it would stay together until the pan was removed and the remover snapped it the rest of the way.

If the braze and flux were the issue, then you could just buy a new Subaru one and clean it off before you install it. Also, by your first oil change, all the flux is flushed out of the system anyways.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

dots. I hope the OP is ignoring all of this lol

Nope, but either way im learning alot. Maybe I should change the thread to: how did you achieve 300awhp? From everyones individual experiences we can learn how to achieve 300 wheel hp.

hey sorry bout all this mess boy battin, didn't mean to thread jack or whatever.

so idrlsv does it have to be the killer b one?? import image racing claims that the one they sell is the highest quality??. just askin cause i'm actually heading up to fbp to pick up the gt-spec under panel finally and might just do this oil pickup today...

Ummm no. I braze for a living while doing HVAC. Brazing is not filler like soldering...you are actually bonding the metals. If an over abundance of flux is used, which it is in subarus case, it will be trapped in the metal as well as on the outside. If you think oil will wash flux away also, you are mistaken. Flux is meant to withstand much higher heats than our motors put out ever. It also, much like oil, does not mix well...take some flux, melt it, and try to mix it with oil.

Bottom line, flux is meant to stay on the joint. Subaru should have welded the piping, not brazed it. But brazing is cheaper I suppose.

Proven to be faulty.... really.

Hour to install... also interesting

9 out of 10 times I hear about an oil tube failure I hear this line, "Yeah, my mechanic was taking off the oil pan and then it fell out in two pieces. He said it was the dreaded cracked oil pick up tube."

Have you ever tried to take an oil pan off the car while the engine was still in it? It is a tight fit and the oil pickup tube is wedged in there. If you aren't gentle and careful it is very easy to break the tube as you take the pan off. So even if the tube did develop a small crack, it would stay together until the pan was removed and the remover snapped it the rest of the way.

If the braze and flux were the issue, then you could just buy a new Subaru one and clean it off before you install it. Also, by your first oil change, all the flux is flushed out of the system anyways.

Mweiner2 and PhilT......are you guys running the stock oil tube?

I was probably a little light on the install time...but proven to be an issue.....yeah. Mazda never addressed the blown motors that kept happening in the 07-08 MS3.....is Subaru some magical company that addresses every warranty issue and replaces it without question....never denying a claim? I think that also is a false statement...to assume it is not a problem because Subaru fails to address it.

Can you show me these 9/10 times that the mechanic has said this? That they just fell into two pieces? You guys want proof for everything and want others to just take your word for it. Link me to some threads regarding these situations. Otherwise I do not believe you know 10 people personally that have had a cracked oil pick up.

Oh and please show me the parts list at 10,000 dollars for 300 hp....I will be anxiously awaiting the overkill.

I mention a Killer B oil pickup and people get all weirded out. Its good security.....you all talk about reliability.

Scott G

[

I agree it is extra added security. No brazing, and if I were to make an oil pickup replacement it would be welded like Killer B's for sure. Subaru issued a bulletin to their techs on the oil pickups and the 08+ bearing issues. They knew there was a problem and wanted to prepare their technicians for the coming warranty work and what to expect. They won't issue a recall on it because it is not life threatening like say faulty throttles ***cough cough Toyota***

Bottom line is Subaru will only shell out money when necessary, they are a business. They want to keep as much profit as possible. Look at my oil pickup, it has 130,000 miles on it. If it were to break tough for me it is out of warranty. Now if Subaru issued a recall I could have a million miles on it and it would have to be replaced.

uh lalgt, u r obviously just a bitch, go be an uber smartass somewhere else .bet if i met u in person u would not act so tough or wise.

rdvslo i just went and picked up my killer b . thanks again. hopefully it wont be too much of a pita to install.

I usually dont wish bad things to happen to people but I would not feel bad if your tube cracked...your oil pressure went bye bye and your engine became immediately starved of oil...all of this leading to an overhaul. Your sarcasm gets old......you spew out claims and do not back them up....where is this 9/10? Just because you have 10k posts does not mean that someone who just steps into a forum is not knowledgeable and should bow down to your every word.....good day.

Scott G

[

Because I'm not worried about it. I also have the facilities to remove and repair any part of my car should I want/need to.

My experience goes far beyond my post count. You want me to prove it's not so critical. Why don't you prove that it is?

Subaru has how many millions of cars on the road? How many of them have stock oil pickup tubes? 99.9% maybe.

The conditions you describe that cause the failure would be present on even the 2.5 NA engines. That would mean that if this were an actual epidemic of a problem, you would hear of it outside the aftermarket performance world. You don't.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Before you start spewing off false information, research helps. The oil pickups for the N/A are different part numbers. In fact there are also different part numbers for even the Legacy GT model. There are two part numbers under Subaru's parts catalog for the Legacy gt.

15049AA070

produced on Legacy GT's and STI's from 11/01/03 to 5/31/2005

And

15049AA110, for newer Legacy GT's and STI's

By all means keeps making a fool of yourself with your all knowing power. Look up your information before you start to speak, don't draw your hypothesis and skip the research to force your conclusion.

Because I'm not worried about it. I also have the facilities to remove and repair any part of my car should I want/need to.

My experience goes far beyond my post count. You want me to prove it's not so critical. Why don't you prove that it is?

Subaru has how many millions of cars on the road? How many of them have stock oil pickup tubes? 99.9% maybe.

The conditions you describe that cause the failure would be present on even the 2.5 NA engines. That would mean that if this were an actual epidemic of a problem, you would hear of it outside the aftermarket performance world. You don't.

I usually dont wish bad things to happen to people but I would not feel bad if your tube cracked...your oil pressure went bye bye and your engine became immediately starved of oil...all of this leading to an overhaul. Your sarcasm gets old......you spew out claims and do not back them up....where is this 9/10? Just because you have 10k posts does not mean that someone who just steps into a forum is not knowledgeable and should bow down to your every word.....good day.

Scott G

You have yet to substantiate your claim that the OEM pick up tube is faulty, you made the claim, now you provide the proof.

Have there been 10 broken, 20, 100 ?

How many cars are still operating perfectly well with the original ? 10,000, 20,000, 100,000 ?

There are far more cases of the stock turbo failing than oil pick ups, does that mean everyone should change it out as a precaution ? And yes, a turbo failure will toast the whole engine most likely.

Don't be a sheep, think for yourself, don't believe the scare mongering on internet forums.

Archived