LegacyGT.com

Headlight Replacement

You can replace the passenger side light through the engine compartment by pulling the airbox. It was easier than going through the fender on the driverside. The lights failed less than one month apart. Driver then passenger.

+1 to pulling bumper and doing both at once next time.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Same thing happened to me. A real pain! I have been using a plastic tie down to keep the metal latch in place. Luckily there is enough for it to grab on to. Hope that helps.

dealer tells me you can't replace just that part - need to replace the entire headlight assembly. :confused::confused::confused::confused:

dealer tells me you can't replace just that part - need to replace the entire headlight assembly. :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Or, you can find a damaged assembly at a junk yard or on eBay, then you would use the damaged one as a parts donor to fix yours. Of course, this involves baking your headlamps open.

If that doesn't work then probably not.

Not that difficult. Take out all the plastic pop rivets and be gentle with the two front fascia end tabs. In order to get them off put your hand under the bottom of the fascia and lift upward, should pop off. Sometimes they take a little force. After that it's pretty straight forward, couple bolts on each headlight if I recall and disconnecting harnesses.

• 6 months later...
1 year and 3 months, think that's a new record. Passenger side low beam went out yesterday. Thought maybe this time the GE's would last longer. Next up are a set of Philips.

Mine made it 3.5 years. driver side went out and it took me so long that i ran out of curse words to scream as i fail to get the bulb in time and time again that I didn't do the passenger side... now its out too obviously and I'm gonn have to figure it out in the dark tonight, I'm hoping removing the air box will let me do it (passenger side) since its time to clean my filter anyway but I'll likely have to do the drivers side again before winter is done since i definitely touched the bulb and i got those super sweaty, greasy Italian hands.

i definitely touched the bulb and i got those super sweaty, greasy Italian hands.

Haa.. Nothing is funny at 3am but this made me laugh. Sorry for your struggles. Ive been there myself, having to change the drivers side and being left handed.(right side of body slight cerebral palsey) You have to put it back in blind. The best way is to pull the tire and drop the plastic inner fender to get to both sides. I have never tried removing the air filter box. Let me know how that works for you. You would think with all the brilliant engineers designing these cars they would figure a better way to replace a simple light bulb.

Knock on wood, I am still on my original bulbs at 54k and 3 1/3 years. I was going to swap my headlight out to the 13-14 headlight housing when I have to replace a headlight bulb. I guess that I should get serious about buying a set of '13-14 headlights.

removing the air box would have been a good idea. i got the 2 bolts that hold it down off but could not even come close to loosening the hose clamp that connects it to the rest of the intake track so that was a bust but if your air box has ever been out than it should be easy to do it that way. if i removed the whole wheel liner i could have gotten to the hose clamp but i would have had to remove a wheel too. i got everything done through the wheel well up until putting the waterproof cap back on and realized i have a poorly trimmed tab directly behind my headlight i have a about a 1/16" of wiggle room to get it on. i ran out of day light... and then night patience, I'm going to try to get it on today and if i can't I'm gonna take it to the dealer and force them to put that stupid cap back on for free.

Oh i also investigated removing the battery to do the drivers side and that won't work unless you have tiny hands, wrists, and forearms. the fuse box is much more in the way than the battery is

:( today marks my 4th set of bulbs within 2 years. It's always the driver's side, but I replace headlight bulbs in pairs. By far the easiest method for me is dropping the top half of the bumper down and removing the headlight assemblies.

I've found that if I don't remove the headlight assemblies I have issues getting the cover to sit and seal properly, that thing is a b!tch to get seated right and if it isn't, can lead to condensation within the housings

I wonder why so much trouble removing the clamp? Could you not get a ratchet on the bolt, or was there some other issue?

the head of the screw that loosens the clamp it faced away from me and literally has no room in front of it to point that its actually scratching at my fender liner with the sharp edges from the flat head. i cant get a wrench on it from the side either because its a socket head not a hex. it was a bitch but my second try went quickly. i figured out that the arrow on the cap has to lined up with the ridge on the housing (tho i tried that yesterday and failed). I think I've got it figured out so that it should only take me about 45 minutes to do both *fingers crossed*

the head of the screw that loosens the clamp it faced away from me and literally has no room in front of it to point that its actually scratching at my fender liner with the sharp edges from the flat head. i cant get a wrench on it from the side either because its a socket head not a hex. it was a bitch but my second try went quickly. i figured out that the arrow on the cap has to lined up with the ridge on the housing (tho i tried that yesterday and failed). I think I've got it figured out so that it should only take me about 45 minutes to do both *fingers crossed*

Bummer. It was tight against the fender liner for me ss well, but I managed to loosen it a bit and finished it by hand. I made sure I repositioned it for "easier" removal.

Bummer. It was tight against the fender liner for me ss well, but I managed to loosen it a bit and finished it by hand. I made sure I repositioned it for "easier" removal.

next time I'm going to attempt to loosen it with some needle nose pliers not sure why i didn't think about that yesterday

Oh i also investigated removing the battery to do the drivers side and that won't work unless you have tiny hands, wrists, and forearms. the fuse box is much more in the way than the battery is

My 1st time changing one of these bulbs was a drivers side on a 2010 Legacy I took the battery out and had my 12yr old son reach in there and change it. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived