LegacyGT.com

Headlight Replacement

I had the pleasure of doing this task this past weekend. :spin: Both of my low beams went out at the same time, leading me to think a fuse or relay had blown. Both of those checked out and I decided I'd have to pull the bulbs to check them. After reading this and several other threads, I decided my hands and forearms needed the extra room so I removed the front bumper. This turned out to be the easiest part of the process:mad:. I still had to lay on the ground and squeeze my arm up into tight spaces and guess at what I was touching. It took me a while to get out the passenger side bulb and even though others had warned to be careful to not break the tab for the spring in back of the bulb, I managed to break it. It took me half an hour of trying to rehook the spring to figure that out. Frustrated, I moved onto the driver side. I removed the battery, but still ended up going in through the wheel well. The replacement went pretty quickly but the plastic cap just would not go back on :spin:. Another half hour and another broken tab before I finally got it secured. I didn't know what to do with the broken spring on the passenger side so I decided to just take the whole headlight assembly out to try and fix it. I wish I had just done that in the first place. A few easy bolts and I was sitting in a comfortable chair with beer next to me and the whole unit in my lap. It was so much easier than lying on the ground squeezing my hand into tight spaces. I could see everything and finished the repair in minutes. I will definitely be removing the whole assembly to change the bulbs the next time I have to do this. After all the reading I did, I still did not expect this to be the hassle it was.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And I used make fun of Audis that required front bumper & radiator removal for changing the timing belt...

Fortunately I haven't been plagued with the frequent heading burnouts that others have experienced. I have no intentions of modding my headlights. I'll take advantage of Subarus free replacement program for the low beam bulbs of one does burn out. :) I'll be sure to have them replace the marker bulbs while they are in there, thanks for the tip.

Any chance you can give the steps to remove the bumper cover and the headlight housing?

i'd love to fix my passenger headlight without ordering a new one.

what did you do to fix it?

The steps to remove bumper and the headlight assembly are covered well in the other threads and are actually pretty easy.

As for the bulb clasp I thought about trying to JBWeld some sort of piece to work, but I just followed what someone else had done and used a piece of wire to hold the clasp in place. I figured it would be easy enough to remove the next time.

Perhaps this was sarcasm, but what is "Subaru's free replacement program for the low beam bulbs"?

I'm guessing this was a joke, right?

NOPE. We got a letter or postcard just a couple of months ago but it's been recycled.

It's for reals. 10 years I believe. They will even reimburse you for low beam replacements you've done in the past if you kept the receipt.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-gen-4-2010-2014/35770-terrible-headlight-bulb-lifetimes-3.html#/topics/367210?_k=36nnp2

Good on Subaru to come up with that. It's one thing to have bulbs burning out every year or two, but add in an asinine replacement method and it can really turn off some owners.

Anyone know if it covers all cars or just those with auto-headlights?

Well I am definitely looking into info on that. My left headlight went out about 1-2 months into ownership (still less than 40k miles on the car). I took it to the dealership and they end up replacing 4 different bulbs between the two headlights, and I'm fairly certain they charged me. Gonna have to check my receipts when I get home.

• 1 year later...
Old thread but want to confirm the low beam bulb replacement program works at least on 2010 LGT. I was traveling far away from home and inconveniently the passenger side went out and since I had to drive back at night on interstate it had to be taken care of before I hit the road because I didn't want to take the chances of losing the other light with my kid in the car. It was an instant head scratcher after I popped the hood and then found this thread, I didn't read until the last page but it was enough to realize I was not going to attempt a replacement in a Pep Boys parking lot with a Leatherman which was the only tool I had with me. So to the dealer I went with my cash in hand but to my surprise they replaced both sides for free!

Archived