LegacyGT.com

2011 Winter Tire Tests

outahere

There is no free lunch and tire performance envelope is a trade off.

Extra safety with studless tires will not be present in the wet or very warm weather, for example.

Krzys

PS Pilot Alpin PA3 are extreme example of winter performance. They are the best winter performance tires in the dry.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here is the U.S. test : Car and Driver , in Michigan's U.P.

They used all Michelins for the test.

They stated a definite improvement over all-seasons , but the improvement from perf. winter to regular winters was huge.

The fans of perf. winter tire do bring up a good point though ... " The performance-winter faction rightly points out that even if you live in a metropolitan area that gets significant snowfall, most driving will nonetheless occur on plowed roads."

I suppose it is all a matter of preference. I could get away with the performance winters because I can handle myself in the event I put it in a ditch or have to drive home in super-$hitty weather. I prefer the advantage the winter tires give me none-the-less.

My wife on the other hand , is not a bad driver , but she has our kid(s) with her , taking them to school etc. , just for the extra safety of my wife kids , I put studless winters on her car.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2009-winter-tire-test-comparison-tests

he that is cool i am from there (grey up in hancock/houghton) lots of skiing, hunting etc.. We still have a cottage up there on an inland lake and go back in the summer.

This was a pretty weak winter up here, I probably only "needed" my winter tires 3-4 days. But I did enjoy them those days! This was my first season on winter tires and I can definitely see what all the fuss is about. I ran Blizzak WS-70s in stock size on stock wheels.

i've had some of those days here in new england with my wrx on winter sports.. Some storms had about a foot on the ground and i went around a huge line of cars on the shoulder that couldnt get up a hill, and i usually take the backroads the 18 miles home from work as the expressway is backed up for hours as are the normal secondary roads.. i go home through neighborhoods with unplowed roads with a foot of snow and the car does great.. The next day if i forget clean the wheels and wheelwell it is all frozon in there and undriveable

• 2 weeks later...

Finnish Tekniikan Maailma 2011 studless winter tire test results (scale 0-10):

1 Michelin X-Ice XI2 7,6

2 Nokian Hakkapeliitta R 7,5

3 Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice+ 7,3

4 Continental ContiVikingContact 5 7,1

5 Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 6,9

6 Kumho I'zen KW31 6,8

7 Pirelli Icecontrol 6,8

8 Dunlop SP Ice Sport 6,7

9 Yokohama Ice Guard ig30 5,9

Studded tires:

1 Continental ContiIceContact 8,7

2 Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7 8,4

3 Bridgestone Noranza 2 8,3

4 Pirelli Winter Carving Edge 8,3

5 Michelin X-Ice North XIN2 8,1

6 Goodyear UltraGrip Extreme 7,8

7 Vredestein Arctrac 7,7

8 Hankook Winter IPike 7,3

9 Agi Sarek 2 7,0

10 Yokohama IceGuardStud ig35 7,0

• 3 months later...
how small can i go on my rims for winter tires and how much clearance will i need for my brakes on my 2012 lgt? im definitely gonna need a nice set blizzaks :p

As far as I know , the brakes & etc are the same as the H6 cars , so you SHOULD be able to go down to 17" .... I'm kinda guessing though , the brakes thing has been mentioned here quite a bit.

My LGT came with the michelin X-ice2's on the factory wheels , so I bought some Avarus rims from Tirerack , they are very similar to the factory rims.

We had a pretty mild winter here last year , but I think I like the Michelins over the Blizzaks (WS-70) for our winters (chicagoland). If the temps approach 40-45degF , the blizzaks get a bit squirrelly. The Michelins never had that issue , even at somewhat warmer temps , yet they still did well in the snow and ice.

Now , if you live in an area that gets AND stays very cold and/or deal with big snowfalls a lot , I'd lean towards the Blizzaks.

I'm not sure they even make a Blizzak in the factory 18" size ... 17" , probably better chance.

Any other ?'s , feel free to ask.

HD2

• 1 month later...
Ok, I've done a number of searches and maybe I'm missing it. I see a bunch of reviews of snow tires, but no one seems to mention the size they use. I have a 2012 LGT, looking for snow tires. Tire rack recommends 225/50R17's, but I'm curious as to whether or not we can run 225/45R17's or 55's. Anyone have any experience with those sizes? Thanks!

• 2 months later...
Ok, I've done a number of searches and maybe I'm missing it. I see a bunch of reviews of snow tires, but no one seems to mention the size they use. I have a 2012 LGT, looking for snow tires. Tire rack recommends 225/50R17's, but I'm curious as to whether or not we can run 225/45R17's or 55's. Anyone have any experience with those sizes? Thanks!

Good question, I am also in the market for a winter setup and would like to know, ... . Hope someone chimes in as I need to get some real soon.

• 2 weeks later...
Good question, I am also in the market for a winter setup and would like to know, ... . Hope someone chimes in as I need to get some real soon.

im running slightly smaller 215/50/17s on michellin x-ice 2's

they are on their 3rd season now - maybe 5-7k miles on them

just got back from a roadtrip in mammoth and i towed 2 small SUVs out of the snow! winter tires ftw!!!!!!!!!!

if anything you'll want to run something that is "thinner" since it'll provide more contact patch - not a smaller diameter

im on 215/50/17s and they are great for the winter (They do look a bit smaller than my regular setup:

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h120/stupidaznmunkey/IMG_4689.jpg

im running slightly smaller 215/50/17s on michellin x-ice 2's

they are on their 3rd season now - maybe 5-7k miles on them

just got back from a roadtrip in mammoth and i towed 2 small SUVs out of the snow! winter tires ftw!!!!!!!!!!

Nice : )

I have had Nokian tires and they were awesome - we are now using General's on my wife's car and they are great also - I have a friend that works at Goodyear and he says that there has been problems with the side wall in the past - we are on the 2nd year no problems at all - we measure snow in feet not inches

• 9 months later...

Archived