LegacyGT.com

2011 Winter Tire Tests

outahere

Consumer Union publishes tire tests (including winter tire) in their Consumer Reports magazine, however access to text is for subscribers only. I buy paper copy of their November issue every year.

They have free forums here forums.consumerreports.org and they sometimes release snippets of their test results.

They do not release raw data only 5 levels of peformance (black dot, half black, empty, half red and red circle). They test tires on ice (skating rink), snow (rented or their own track depending on weather) and wet and dry (their own test track). They hire separate company for their wear test (winter tires are not tested for this). Supposedly the tires are driven on the same roads that UTQG ratings are obtained.

Krzys

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here is an interesting tire test from the Swedish magazine Vi Bilagare, in which new winter tires are compared to their twins that have been worn (shaved?) down to 6/32"...............If I understand it correctly from the imperfect Google translation, they shaved half of the new tires down to 5mm (6/32") then drove them all for 200km before starting testing? In real world use, the worn tires would also be more aged than the new tires with full tread, but that is apparently not the case in this test, and so I don't think this test tells us completely how these tires will perform in real world use when they are at 5mm tread depth and have been in use for 3 or 4 seasons. But there is still some interesting info in this test.....

http://www.vibilagare.se/sites/default/files/vibilagare/documents/vinterdack_2011_friktionsdack_hog.pdf

http://www.vibilagare.se/test/dack/dacktest-2011-odubbade-vinterdack-34652

As noted above, the Swedish magazine Vi Bilagare tested two sets of the 5 winter tires listed below, one set with full tread depth, and a second set with tread shaved down to a depth of 4.5 mm (slightly less than 6/32").

Nokian HakkaR

Michelin Xi2

Continental ContiVikingContact5 (twin of ExtremeWinterContact?)

Goodyear UltraGrip Ice+

Hankook Icebear W440

What effects does shallow tread depth have on winter performance?

One of the surprising results to me was the minimal degradation of snow traction with shallow tread depth. Two of the tires, the Conti and GY, even had slightly shorter braking distances in the snow with a shallow tread, compared to full tread depth.

Snow braking distances increased by an average of only 2.7%. Snow acceleration times increased by an average of only 1.6%. Performance on the "snow slope" test worsened by only an average of 3.5% (but the Hankook had a loss of 12.2%). The Hankook had the worst overall snow performance losses of the 5 tires tested, but the least wet braking degradation.

Ice braking distances increased by an average of only 3.6% (but 10.3% for the Michelin, only 0.8% for the Nokian). Ice acceleration times increased by an average of only 5.5%.

Hydroplaning resistance decreased by an average of 12.7% Slush-planing resistance decreased by an average of 10.5%

By far the largest performance degradation with the shallow tread was in wet braking. On average, stopping distances were increased by 22.9%, with a low of 6.7% (Hankook) and a high of 36.8% (Nokian).

Here is the ranking of performance degradation that is seen when tread depth decreases to 4.5 mm:

wet braking > hydroplaning > slush planing > ice acceleration > ice braking > snow braking > snow acceleration

Tire Rack and other sources advise us to buy new winter tires when they get down to a tread depth of 6/32", because at that depth you will see a significant degradation of snow traction. Some winter tires have winter "wear bars" at 5 mm or 6/32" tread depth. This test indicates that the degradation of wet traction, not the degradation of snow traction, is a more compelling reason to buy new winter "ice & snow" tires, especially when you consider that "ice & snow" tires, even at full tread depth, already have a built in weakness in wet performance, compared to performance winters and all-seasons.

My experience is that Consumer Reports tests are virtually worthless when it comes to picking snow tires. The problem with magazine tests in general is that they weight different performance areas to come up with a rank, but your usage may be much different. In addition, different sizes of the same seem to perform differently. The 225/45r17 size on many WRX is a popular test size in the US but not in Europe.

Sounds like the Hakka R is the one to get them if you encounter a variety of conditions. Just look at the tread of the xi2 - it's clearly not aggressive enough for good snow performance, but the same thing that makes it poorer in snow makes it better on ice.

You can't have it all :)

Well, unless you run the studded Hakka

We now have Hakka R's on my WRX and the company Ford Transit Connect. I also have WRG2's for the WRX which I use in the transitional seasons. We had RSI's on the Outback wagon but will probably switch to something new this season. We also have two Honda Accords, one with Nokian WR's and the other with RSI's.

On my wife's minivan (which lives in Boston but goes skiing) we currently have X-Ice Xi2. They are quite civilized as snows. We don't buy them for the company cars because the tread depth of the Nokians is substantially more (usually 12 versus 10.5 32nds) so they last a season or two longer: we discard snows at 5/32nds. Treadwear/durability is not something the magazines can test very easily.

We've tested a lot of the popular tires as we have seven company or personal vehicles and two co-workers also have WRX/STI. There is nothing like driving the same car on the same road in the same conditions with different tires back-to-back-to back to see what's up.

The Altimax Arctic is good on snow and ice but like most "traditional" snows is not very reassuring on dry or wet roads.

The Hakka R is a remarkable tire. It's quiet, has low rolling resistance (ie we retain good MPG), and handles pretty well on wet and dry roads. I only have about 12,000 miles on mine but our Ford Transit Connect has put over 20,000 on a set. We'll measure tread depth this week now that they've been remounted.

We'll be replacing snows on one or two vehicles (out of seven) this winter, and we'll probably try something we haven't used before just for reference.

PS Nokian has moved their US headquarters to VT.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

My experience is that Consumer Reports tests are virtually worthless when it comes to picking snow tires. The problem with magazine tests in general is that they weight different performance areas to come up with a rank, but your usage may be much different. In addition, different sizes of the same seem to perform differently. The 225/45r17 size on many WRX is a popular test size in the US but not in Europe.

Hmm

http://www.adac.de/infotestrat/tests/reifen/winterreifen/2010_Winterreifen_Test_225_45_R17.aspx?ComponentId=40334&SourcePageId=31821

German version

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/winterreifen-test-2011-1935412.html

Polish version

http://www.auto-swiat.pl/1-test-opon-zimowych-22545-r17-czym-bezpiecznie-przejechac-przez-zime

http://www.sportauto-online.de/testbericht/winterreifen-test-acht-reifen-der-groesse-225-45-r17-v-1445817.html

Krzys

I run the WRG2's in stock size.

http://dervish.smugmug.com/photos/446186335_P3tF4-L.jpg

http://dervish.smugmug.com/photos/421281831_EfcC5-L.jpg

But after punching a hole in the sidewall in a wicked pothole:

http://dervish.smugmug.com/photos/445461738_TgAeG-L.jpg

I bought 16's for the Hakka R's.

http://dervish.smugmug.com/photos/1120963949_snWbt-L.jpg

http://dervish.smugmug.com/photos/1120964285_oozgC-L.jpg

Haven't found a better all-around studless winter tire than the Hakka R. My wife had a lot of fun at the Team O'Neil Winter Safety School last winter.

http://dervish.smugmug.com/photos/1160651498_b3e8d-L.jpg

The X-Ice Xi2 doesn't look all butch like some snows, but they do sufficientlyly well in deep snow to feel safe. We've taken our [FWD] minivan skiing and traversed many a back road and haven't had any issues.

http://dervish.smugmug.com/photos/1199080407_rLXFd-L.jpg

Who Dares Wins

スバル

.............The X-Ice Xi2 doesn't look all butch like some snows, but they do sufficientlyly well in deep snow to feel safe. We've taken our [FWD] minivan skiing and traversed many a back road and haven't had any issues........................

Canadian owners of the X-Ice Xi2 seem to have a love/hate relationship with the Michelin's performance on snow. :lol: Something weird about Canadian snow? ;) Here are some reviews from 1010tires:

"I was expecting lots form these tires. I should have known better and gone with my gut instinct - no large open tread = poor snow traction. This is exactly what I found. They're good on ice but hopeless on snow. My ABS and TC lights are flashing all the time and I drive very conservatively. These tires ARE coming off as I can't risk a bump for the cost of some real snow tires. They're quiet, good on ice, lousy on snow. NEXT! My old Dunlops were awesome in everything"

"this tire seems to defy physics. the tread doesn't look that aggressive, but you aren't paying for looks. It is incredibly good at getting you up the steepest slippery hills, and holding your car around corners on snow that is slippery to walk in. seriously...these are incredible. the only weakness is hydroplane resistance at interstate speeds, and wet road acceleration where I'd rate fair. I won't be the chump embarrassed that my car is blocking the icy and snowy hill ever again."

"First time out today in rush hour with 4 to 6 cm on the ground. These tire offer no confidence in uphill, stopping or lane changing in these conditions. I am VERY disappointed with X-ICE xi2s"

"Good results on freezing rain, black ice, slush and medium snow(up to 6inch) in northern Idaho over 2 seasons. No experience in really deep snow as I use a vehicle with greater road clearance"

"TERRIBLE TIRES........ Putting all seasons back on. haven't tried them on ice but in snow they just pack full and make it impossible to get anywhere."

"Are all the negative reviewers on krack? These are the best snow tires I've even driven on. By far. They are UBER Tires."

"VERY disappointed with these tires in snow. The first medium snowfall of the year10 cm) and these tires can't get up a slight incline. The Michelin Alpins were much superior as a snow tire on the same vehicle as well as on my previous car."

"I've had these tires for a winter now, and I've been pleased. Driving through slush is my main concern, and these tires are much better than the Toyo G-02 Plus for the slush. These are also very good on packed snow and ice. I don't drive through newly fallen snow much, but haven't noticed a problem; however, I also buy my winter tires one width narrower to allow better cutting through fallen snow"

http://www.1010tires.com/tires/Reviews/Michelin/X-Ice+Xi2

The variations in the tests are likely to depend on vehicle used (especially noise) and temperature.

But as long as you select a tire that is consistently among the top 5 in all tests you should get a decent tire.

Interesting to see that there aren't much tests done in the US of winter tires.

Yes, in addition test result variability can also be due to differences in test surfaces (e.g wet snow vs dry snow), test protocols (e.g. 10mph ice brake test vs 30mph test, ABS disabled or enabled), climatic conditions (e.g. sunny test day vs overcast test day can affect ice traction), different ABS systems, different traction control systems, different drivetrain layout. And sometimes test results are so close to one another that differences in ranking are not reliably replicated (e.g. this is a problem with 10mph ice braking tests, where differences can be measured in mere inches).

Winter tire buyers in the USA seem to be more interested in subjective reviews than in objective tests. The user survey matrix at Tirerack's website seems to be a popular resource, even though it is severely flawed. How reliable and usefull can that matrix be when not a single winter tire reviewed there has received a rating of less than "excellent" for dry traction, dry steering response, hydroplaning resistance, and ice traction???? Every winter tire in that matrix is rated at least "excellent" in all performance parameters. Huh?

Consumer Reports is beginning the process of buying and testing winter tires (and AS tires) for 2012. These are the winter tires they plan to test:

BF Goodrich Winter Slalom KSI

Bridgestone Blizzak WS70

Continental ExtremeWinterContact

Dunlop Graspic DS-3

Falken Espia EPZ

Firestone Winterforce

General Altimax Arctic

Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice WRT

Hankook Winter i*Pike

Hankook I*Cept Evo

Michelin X-Ice Xi2

Nokian Hakkapeliitta R

Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7

Pirelli Winter 210 Sottozero Serie II

Pirelli Winter Ice

Unifoyal Tiger Paw Ice & Snow II

Yokohama iceGuard ig20

If they continue with past methodology, then the winter performance part of the testing will be very limited in scope, and confined to ice braking from 10 mph, and acceleration on snow.

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/2011/12/the-family-car-rubber-that-will-meet-the-road-announcing-our-2012-tire-test-program.html

• 2 months later...
for our area southern nh northern na i have not found a better tire the the winter sport m3's .. h rated. they last and have driven home in a foot of snow going around other cars.. but still good on highway since most of the winter we have no snow.. i have them on 3 cars. but just picked up a used lgt 2.5 2010 and am looking for a set of 17" rims to get some of these on again. Dont think any 16" rims will fit over the brembos.. any ideas.. On my 02 wrx i had them on stockers..

I ran the Blizzak ws-70 this year on my Outback. I was super impressed with them on that car. I have them on a 2001 Sentra also , they help tremendously for stopping on the slick stuff and do really well for snow/slush driving , but for taking off from a stop , they are only slightly better than the all-seasons I have ran on that car.

So , really I can see how a tire can act differently on different cars.

By the way , as the weather warmed up around here , the Blizzaks got REALLY squirmy at 50+ mph . The warmer it is the squirmier they got. I have the all seasons back on now.

We just traded the OB for a LGT that has the X-ices on it already , I didn't getto drive it in anything really nasty , but the wife did and was happy with how they worked. She had driven the OB/blizzaks in the nastiest of storms this year , so that is what she had to compare X-ices to.

It has been really warm here that past several days , and the X-Ices do OK so far, much better than the Blizzaks were doing. I have to get my summer tires for it yet ... and rims , and this ultra-warm March took me by surprise. I thought I'd have another month before having to make the swap.

M3 are old design and I think they are available in limited sizes.

I suspect that at this time of the year you do not have much choice and buy what is available.

Or wait till autumn.

Krzys

Agreed. Well actually I didn't buy anything since the selection on my area was really poor. So I guess the old ones are good enough for now...

now using: rengas

Still awesome tires for variable weather, great for starts, especially good at handling water & slush. Not bad for acceleration in snow >4" (10 cm), but steering and stopping is not as good as a traditional winter with huge sipes. For snow <4", its very good all around. Joyous performance tire for city folk.

This winter (here) has been so unusual weather-wise. Only about 4 single-day snow dumps, and only about a week or two of very cold weather. Otherwise, unseasonably warm.

We've already had weeks around 20 Celsius (~70F), and these tires haven't squirmed once. Even once!

The only deterioration I have observed is that last year I could accelerate hard and early out of a fast corner: this year, not as much (but still night and day better than the stock tires). I think it's drying out, year by year. I have a vehicle tracking app for my phone, and it definitely shows reduced fuel consumption versus last year, which (to me) means either less rolling resistance from 'dryer' rubber, or that we simply had less snow.

As the wear and handling are superb (compared to stock) and we still (likely) have April shower season ahead, I will leave these on for at least another month. Even though these are M+S winters, their only degradation is time, and these could very well be used as 'All-Seasons'. I won't buy summers until my stock All-Seasons get a bit more wear, so that might be a viable option.

Michelin has announced a new performance winter for the upcoming winter, the Pilot Alpin PA4. It has an asymmetric tread pattern (except for Porsche fitments, which are directional).

Plenty of photos at this link:

http://www.tireandtyre.com/winter-tires/322/michelin-pilot-alpin-4/

In all of the tests I read , the winter performance tires were only slightly better than all-seasons for winter driving.... just saying ... minimal improvement for a big outlay of cash.

My opinion is that winter tires ought to best perform winter duties , not race duties.

My experience , having used the X-ices and blizzaks this year , I'd just go with the X-ice if you need more "sporting performance" from a winter tire ,I had nothing but good experiences with them this (very warm) winter , clear road manners were great , they never squealed at me once , though I don't push hard when the winter meats are on.

I would advise against the Blizzaks if you are going to slingshot the on/off ramps in clear weather (unless it is below zero) ; very soft , very squirmy , very squealy, but they really , REALLY kicked arse in the storms and tighten right up when the temp. drops.

Having switched from Blizzak WS60s to Michelin Xi2s this past winter, I'd say your assessment is spot-on. The Xi2s were way better than the WS60s when there was no snow on the ground, but the WS60s gripped way better whenever there was snow. I'm happy with the Xi2s since the roads are plowed most of the time in Chicago.

...In all of the tests I read , the winter performance tires were only slightly better than all-seasons for winter driving.... just saying ... minimal improvement for a big outlay of cash................

Did any of these tests of AS tires vs Performance Winters come from a source other than Consumer Reports?

Here is the U.S. test : Car and Driver , in Michigan's U.P.

They used all Michelins for the test.

They stated a definite improvement over all-seasons , but the improvement from perf. winter to regular winters was huge.

The fans of perf. winter tire do bring up a good point though ... " The performance-winter faction rightly points out that even if you live in a metropolitan area that gets significant snowfall, most driving will nonetheless occur on plowed roads."

I suppose it is all a matter of preference. I could get away with the performance winters because I can handle myself in the event I put it in a ditch or have to drive home in super-$hitty weather. I prefer the advantage the winter tires give me none-the-less.

My wife on the other hand , is not a bad driver , but she has our kid(s) with her , taking them to school etc. , just for the extra safety of my wife kids , I put studless winters on her car.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2009-winter-tire-test-comparison-tests

Archived