LegacyGT.com

What gauge pod would you like designed for the Legacy

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know I'm a little late on this one here so bear with me please.

First off, I love the idea of a steering column mounted pod cap a lot. A convenient location and easy install.

Has anyone played with mounting the gauges on the windshield above the rear view mirror on the Legacy? I've seen photos of it in Imprezas in the past and it seems like a decent idea. Very easy install in a location frequently looked at while driving and also not a common mounting location for gauges. ie: a potential thief may not think to look there for anything much less your shiny new $200+ boost gauge. Just a thought for you guys to chew on.

I'm in the market for a new gauge pod and I'm not too hot on the idea of mounting a gauge pod to my dash or on the A pillar (way overdone IMO). Anyway can't wait to see the prototype!

2012 Xterra Pro-4X

2003 Outback Sedan Limited

D.U.S.T.O.F.F.

"Dedicated Unhesitating Service To Our Fighting Forces"

• 2 months later...

I was driving yesterday and wondered if I could put a double or possibly triple gauge pod between the headliner and the rear view mirror. I'm thinking it could be a little black plastic pod thing that you stick to the inside of your windshield with double stick velcro tape (similar to a easy pass/fastlane transponder). You could run the wires through the headliner and down the A pillar.

I'm not too keen on loosing the functionality of the cubby, and I don't really like the "tuner" look of A pillar pods.

Thoughts?

EDIT:

I guess they are some what popular for in the diesel truck market... maybe I'll buy one and try and get it to fit.

http://www.rlh-motorsports.com/images/18017.jpg

This is what is going in my LGT, granted its form the scion, but they fit really nice. Its even textured similar to the dash. Also, as a result of the contours of the LGT dash, the gauge pod is angled toward the driver as opposed to straight back like on the tC. This is the ATi gauge pod.

http://www.advancespeedshop.com/images/ati-ezpod-gauge-scion-tc-carbon-fiber.jpg

I was driving yesterday and wondered if I could put a double or possibly triple gauge pod between the headliner and the rear view mirror. I'm thinking it could be a little black plastic pod thing that you stick to the inside of your windshield with double stick velcro tape (similar to a easy pass/fastlane transponder). You could run the wires through the headliner and down the A pillar.

Mach V has had these for a little while. It sticks onto the windshield.

http://www.fastwrx.com/widugapod20w.html

ok so i pitched this idea on someone that was making a piller pods but never heard back from them. so here you are..

make a rh had a pillar pod that has a mount built in for a GOPRO so you can put a go pro on the a pillar or make a b pillar pod for the gopro anyway. i think a camera would be cool..

That sucks, but happens. Ive ordered through FastWrx the windshield mount so if you guys are interested in this option, like i said, ill share the details of fitment. Will so far what he told me maybe a tight squeeze in between the mirror and the roof, but may fit a bit to the right of the mirror area.

What do you guys think about a replacement piece for the top of the steering column.

THIS. Would buy one in a heart beat. The parking light switch is useless, and that's prime real estate for one, maybe two 52mm gauges.

IMHO, cigarette lighter location is bad because you need to look away from the road. Same with center cubby. The steering column is the ideal location.

I just went out to the car during lunch. I have a sunroof, so if you don't the situation may be slightly different. With the rear view mirror pushed all the way down but still in a usable position there is 2" between the top of the mirror and the headliner. This is not nearly enough room. A 52mm gauge is 2-1/16", not to mention the space you'll need for the gauge housing.

From here I see two options if you really want the overhead pod to work.

1) relocate the mirror further down the windshield so that you have more mirror to headliner room. This way you can have your gauges be directly above your mirror.

2) shift your overhead gauge cluster left or right of the mirror. If you chose to do that the sun visors will probably not be fully operable.

I just went out to the car during lunch. I have a sunroof, so if you don't the situation may be slightly different. With the rear view mirror pushed all the way down but still in a usable position there is 2" between the top of the mirror and the headliner. This is not nearly enough room. A 52mm gauge is 2-1/16", not to mention the space you'll need for the gauge housing.

From here I see two options if you really want the overhead pod to work.

1) relocate the mirror further down the windshield so that you have more mirror to headliner room. This way you can have your gauges be directly above your mirror.

2) shift your overhead gauge cluster left or right of the mirror. If you chose to do that the sun visors will probably not be fully operable.

tell the chick in the passenger seat to use the side view mirror instead, problem solved.

I ordered the Auto Meter gauge pod from Summit Racing. I gave it a little test fit yesterday. It fits surprisingly well so far. The mirror needs to move down the windshield slightly and the gauge housing will have to be trimmed a little, but It doesn't seem like too much work.

Here's the crappy cell phone pic...

0912011809.jpg.4f76c1f8689e1e0afff210ec74ef4597.jpg

Looks do-able, but I'd be a little concerned about the lowered mirror. I have mine as high as possible so I can see over my tent-trailer (and the spoiler).

The mounting point of the mirror is the thing that I think will have to move the most, once the pod is installed you can push the mirror tight to the bottom of the pod. It's really only shifting the mirror about 1/2"-3/4" down vertically. The mirror mount may have to move 1" - 1-1/2" further down the windshield.

I dislike the idea of having to look so far up away from the roadway to view my gauges. Steering column is where I have mine.

A Corvette style HUD would be nice, IMO.

So you don't use your rear view mirror? I feel like take my eyes off the road when I'm looking at my speedometer or tachometer.

Maybe it's a height or how you position your seat kinda thing. I feel like the rear view mirror is slightly more in my line of sight than the gauge cluster.

I dislike the idea of having to look so far up away from the roadway to view my gauges. Steering column is where I have mine.

A Corvette style HUD would be nice, IMO.

i think i would feel more comfortable looking at the mirror gauges than i am currently looking at my boost gauge in the corner of my a-pillar. do you have a surround for the steering column or just mounted?

i think i would feel more comfortable looking at the mirror gauges than i am currently looking at my boost gauge in the corner of my a-pillar. do you have a surround for the steering column or just mounted?

http://www.perrinperformance.com/products/show/428/-Gauge-Pod?category=9&model=10

This?

Archived