LegacyGT.com

Percentage of mechanical failures vs. reliable LGTs

Have you had any mechanical faliures on your 4th gen LGT?  

233 members have voted

1. 1. Have you had any mechanical faliures on your 4th gen LGT?

• No problems
    • Engine internals failure
    • Turbo failure
    • Transmission failure

Pretty interesting that for all the guys on here crying about all their problems and failures that 65% of us have had "No problems" with our cars. Did you see on the news this morning the the Top 10 cars were listed for performance and reliability.... Honda and Subaru tied for #1??? Maybe that will tell us something ;)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Couldn't vote since there is no category for electrical/ECU failure. My ECU locked following a short in the wiring harness @65k miles.
All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

Bought it a yr ago with 32k miles, now 44k miles and stg 2 for 10k of those. No problems besides a clutch whose days are limited. Dealer replaced the rear wheel bearings and fan relay prior to purchase. All good so far and still puts a smile on my face often.

Dino oil every 3k, and just changed over to rotella syn, and will keep up with the 3k OCI

When I got home from work. I rolled over 160k . My OCI avg.12k with Amsoil 0w-30 SSO & Ea oil filters. Running Cobb st1 93 map, max boost is still 16.2psi. Original motor & turbo are running like new.

Now if you talking wheel bearings, on my 3rd. set in the front.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

When I got home from work. I rolled over 160k . My OCI avg.12k with Amsoil 0w-30 SSO & Ea oil filters. Running Cobb st1 93 map, max boost is still 16.2psi. Original motor & turbo are running like new.

Now if you talking wheel bearings, on my 3rd. set in the front.

Mike

Wow. 12k oci!

As for me, got the car @ 35800

Now 46600 no problem so far. Car is stock..

Oci 3750 miles

5w40 syn oil

I have an 06 LGT that is stage 3 with 88k on it. So far I have only managed to destroy my old 5eat, after my 20th or so 3500rpm launch. I drive this car like I stole it on a daily basis, but I also maintain the Hell out of it.

I purchased my 05 LGT used November 2006 with 14k miles. Now I'm running a stage 1 map at 100k miles on the clock and an OCI of 4k (mainly PP, M1 if I can't find it, 5w30/10w30 depending on the season).

Detonation killed the ringlands.

Video killed the radio star ;)

I purchased my 06 5EAT Limited about 4 months ago with 63,000.

Previous owners were an older couple, all subaru family. Meticulous maintenance records. Changed the oil every 3-4k with penzoil. No recorded problems.

As soon as I purchased it (through an auto broker), my guy there did an oil change, machined rotors, changed belts, front brake pads, and some ding removal. Since then, SUBA performance did the 60k service (about 5k past the mark), and told me the engine was in excellent shape.

SO. No problems, OCI's in the 3-4k range, bone stock.

EDIT: and for the record, I haven't lost any oil in the last 5k, and I drive her fairly hard

you should have the option for people to change their votes on the poll. For example, some people could vote "no problems" right now and then a few weeks, months, years, whatever.. Have a mechanical failure of some type.

+1

• I Donated
You should have the option for people to change their votes on the poll. For example, some people could vote "No problems" right now and then a few weeks, months, years, whatever.. have a mechanical failure of some type.

I don't know how to do that... :(

#2 exhaust valve recession with engine miss at idle appearing just over 100K, eventually triggering check engine light and requiring head rebuild at 125K. Driven conservatively, 60-75mph highway mostly, Castrol GT or Synthetic and oil filt every 2500-3K with Tufoil added each change since ~24K. Also needed tumble generator valves at 104K - not internal, but expensive.

I'll play...

1) 2005 LGT MT Limited Wagon: Original owner

2) mileage: 81K

3) Stage 1 and other suspensions mods since 25K

4) No major problems with engine, turbo, trans etc...

5) 90% of maintenance and installs performed by me.

6) Oil changes every 3000 to 3500 miles since new

7) Penzoil (dino) 5w30

1) 2008 LGT Spec B

2) mileage: Bought used with 13k, currently 41k

3) Stage 2 Cobb OTS (5000 miles)

4) No problems at all...yet

5) Oil / transmission / diff fluid changes done by myself

6) OCI 3750 - 4000 since 13k miles

7) Rotella T6 5w40

2008 lgt, bought with 42k on it, subaru had just replaced the turbo.

Not sure of exact mileage of failed turbo.

No problems since with 53k on odometer.

60k service done when mileage hit 45k.

3k oil changes.

whatever oil is at mitchell subaru.

Archived