LegacyGT.com

Percentage of mechanical failures vs. reliable LGTs

Have you had any mechanical faliures on your 4th gen LGT?  

233 members have voted

1. 1. Have you had any mechanical faliures on your 4th gen LGT?

• No problems
    • Engine internals failure
    • Turbo failure
    • Transmission failure

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

42K on mine, owned since it had 19K miles. Been stage 2+ for a bout a year and a half (5EAT). Unsure of previous owners maintenance, but I change the oil with dino oil and a wix filter every 3K.

Only "problems" I've had have been electrical related. Burnt headlight bulb, burnt dome light, and a burnt out map light. Also had a vacuum line pop off, but that was a result of my mods.

Subaru Factory Demo purchased at 6K

2006 GT Wagon 5EAT currently 83K

Stg I @ 9K

StgII @ 20K Cobb Accessport

StgII.5 @ 58K OpenSource tune

Started tracking the car once a month @58K. Factory service 30K and 58K.

Added tranny cooler @58K. OCI always 3K. Castrol Syn @20K. Rotella Syn @58K.

Syn diff fluids @58K. Amsoil tranny drain/fill 80K.

19PSI tune and drive it like I stole it.

Since most owners with no mechanical issues don't start threads to note that fact, this poll has some value I think.

2005 LGT MT: Original owner

Mileage: 82K

Stage 1 TDC tune since 20k

No problems with engine, turbo, trans etc...

All regular maintenance performed by me. 30k / 60k maintenance performed by AZP.

Oil changes every 3000 to 3500 miles since new

Castrol Syntec - 5w30

My VB Garage... Pumping the air back into despair

I bought my '08 brand new with 3 miles on it. It currently has ~47k with no mechanical problems (knock on wood). I change the oil every 4-5k, and had the 30k service done at a dealership. The car is still stock in terms of mechanical parts.

2005 XT 5MT. 132,000KM. Driven moderately hard. 6,000KM OCI with GC 0W30. Stock turbo, no tranny problems.

• Stage 1 TDC map from about 30,000KM.
  • Clutch was replaced at about 20,000KM under warranty due to installation error and premature wear.
  • Rear wheel bearing went at about 110,000KM, replaced under warranty
  • Couple of CV boots, couple of minor gaskets replaced.
  • Bad cooling fan relay fried two ECUs. Both covered under warranty.
  • Headlights stopped blowing early after cooling fan relay was replaced with that of a different type.

2005 LGT, purchased new.

Miles= 40k

Stock

30k maintenance done by dealership.

No problems yet. Hopefully wont have any major ones anytime soon.

Daaaayyyyyum. 6 years and only 40k??? Your car must feel lucky. I wish mine only had 40k on it sometimes... then I know I could make it last forever. :lol:
Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

106k miles on an 05 LGT 5mt wagon. Wheel bearings replaced under Subaru extended warranty. Seized caliper at 80k. Nothing else.

We do change the oil every 3k-4k miles with dino since brand new.

Subaru Factory Demo purchased at 6K

2006 GT Wagon 5EAT currently 83K

Stg I @ 9K

StgII @ 20K Cobb Accessport

StgII.5 @ 58K OpenSource tune

Started tracking the car once a month @58K. Factory service 30K and 58K.

Added tranny cooler @58K. OCI always 3K. Castrol Syn @20K. Rotella Syn @58K.

Syn diff fluids @58K. Amsoil tranny drain/fill 80K.

19PSI tune and drive it like I stole it.

In addition bought an 09 2.5i Legacy 4EAT in Nov 2010 for my wife, 18,000 miles Lease return. It's gone through a quart of QuakerState oil in 5K and she drives like a grandma. Just switched to Castrol GTX 5w-30 to see if it sticks around longer than QS oil.

Whoever started this poll. Good Work. This just shows that you see more complaints than happy stories. If we also take into account the amount of LGT owenrs who dont use this forum im sure it helps aswell. GW

I should also note.

I have an 05 LGT.

bought it 2 yrs ago at 52000km

now at 83000km

only problem was the idle which I fixed by replacing injector 4.

Stage 1 tune Cobb Off shelf map since i got it.

I am the 2nd owner and bought it with 134K KM almost 2 years ago (~83K miles).

It now has 198K (123K miles).

Being a DD I beat on it occasionally getting up to highway speeds and such, which is almost several times a day, and I've had no problems so far (knock on wood). All I've done is normal maintenance but it is totally stock.

Edit: Just remembered replaced 2 rear wheel bearings but I don't consider those to be mechanical failures.

I bought mine last June with 44k on it, clean car & female owned (not sure if that's a good thing?)

Anyway, about 1 month after I went to Stage 1 (17.5psi etc etc). Otherwise all stock with a K&N filter. Change the oil every 3,000 miles with Mobil 1 & factory Subaru filter. Changed plugs, seafoamed etc.

It now has 59k on it no issues so far. I drive it easy but occasionally get on it...I would say it hardly ever gets "beat" on though

05 LGT wagon 5MT

Purchased new

66.5K-ish miles

1st turbo failure: 66K; second turbo failure, which took out the bottom end as well: about 150 miles later

No mods

Oil changes by the book: 7500 or less for first few years, approx. 3K in the last few years.

Transmission is fine, other than getting a new clutch while the engine was being rebuilt (the clutch was just about due anyway).

Hey all I'm the second owner of a 05 Outback XT. It has 116k and counting. I don't fully know what the origional owner went through, but I do know there must have been a trans concern (5mt). The cace looks shiny and new compared to the tranfer case and the engine block. I had to replace the turbo as the first repair. I bought it with a blown turbo, and installed the vf52, with a tune. After much research on this engine block and turbo set up, I think that the oil strainers in the tubo lines are a major cause to all of these failures. It causes oil starvation to critical arewas on the right side of the engine. I removes the srainers from my oil lines, and plan to keep a strict 4 month or 3,500 mile oil change interval to keep things from failing.

Wes.

05 LGT wagon 5MT

Purchased new

66.5K-ish miles

1st turbo failure: 66K; second turbo failure, which took out the bottom end as well: about 150 miles later

No mods

Oil changes by the book: 7500 or less for first few years, approx. 3K in the last few years.

Transmission is fine, other than getting a new clutch while the engine was being rebuilt (the clutch was just about due anyway).

7500 mile oil changes is by the book? I certainly hope the previous owner of my car didn't run those kind of intervals.

Archived