LegacyGT.com

Percentage of mechanical failures vs. reliable LGTs

Have you had any mechanical faliures on your 4th gen LGT?  

233 members have voted

1. 1. Have you had any mechanical faliures on your 4th gen LGT?

• No problems
    • Engine internals failure
    • Turbo failure
    • Transmission failure

7500 mile oil changes is by the book? I certainly hope the previous owner of my car didn't run those kind of intervals.

Yes. The oil change interval for the 2005 LGT was 7500 miles. That is what my service manual clearly states. If you own one, go look it up.

Only for severe service -- which did not apply to my driving conditions or style back then -- was the oil change interval shorter.

I gather this interval was halved for subsequent years. I don't know with which model year -- maybe 2007? (Others can supply more detailed information.)

I also gather that Subaru now recommends that owners of 2005 LGTs change the oil consistent with the severe service oil change interval.

Service intervals are going up for many vehicles. The 2001 Audi S4 had an oil change interval of 10,000 miles. I gather that BMWs have variable intervals depending on how the car is driven, but can extend well over 10K miles. Etc.

Frankly, if Subaru feels that the oil change interval needs to be halved, what is amiss in their design or implementation?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2008 LGT 42000 miles, bought new with 4 miles on it, driven hard from day one didn't follow factory brake in recommendation. Stage 1 at 3000 miles, stage 2 at 6000 miles, stage 3 at 29000 miles, oil changed every 3000 miles (Valvoline instant oil place), never had any problems, most reliable car I ever owned.

• I Donated
That's logical. The items are not mutually exclusive. For example, my car has suffered both engine and turbo failures.

Yep. The "no problems" percentage is the actual percentage of people who voted in the poll who have no problems. The remaining people have had at least one of the other three options.

Funny it always seems someones has a problem with there car, but this poll shows the majority don't have any major problems.

I agree the problems may be overblown, but 75% 'free of catastrophic failure' rate is not exactly something to brag about.

haters go buy a Honda, cheapos go buy a Kia. People who love their cars, and want to maintain them drive cars that last.

I've owned 30+ cars of many makes and models, I LOVE my Legacy. I bag the shit out of it, then change my oil EVERY 3500 KM's. Castrol GTX Dino, Lucas products in everything, and I have 150,000km on it. stage 1 open source. Just blew the end tank off my top mount doing donuts on dry pavement at 6000rpm, cause a buddy said I couldn't do it in a 4 banger with AWD.

I'm a mechanic, I love working on my car because the engineering is very intelligent. It starts every day, goes anywhere, and it does it quickly and with class and style. I'm the only LGT driver in 100 miles and I like that.

Here is a thought for the people with major failures, do you know how much oil is in your car right now?? what color is it?? I check my oil every few days. I add oil every week.

you want to get in a car and drive for 5 to 10,000 miles and not think about the oil??? sell your Subaru and buy a car with out a turbo.

Auto trannys dont fail if the fluid is clean, fresh, and doesnt overheat.(barring manufacturing defect of a specific part, or straight abuse) it is the same for manual trannys.

why is it that the stage 2+ cars dont have the problems the granny driven ones do??????????

ITS A PERFORMANCE SEDAN/WAGON and needs to be driven/maintained like one.

ford tempos are meant to be granny driven/maintained thats why the junk yards are full of them.

haha nice rant....... thanx

You make a few good points in your rant, but it also contains contradictions.

Re oil: my car's oil is almost clear, since it was changed just a few hundred miles ago along with the complete rebuilding of the engine. I checked it the day before yesterday.

Before the first turbo blew, the oil was filled to the upper mark on the dipstick (checked at the last gas stop before the failure), since it had been changed roughly 1000 miles before the failure. It was a routine color for the mileage on the oil and the engine.

I check the oil level every one or two gas refills. I top it off before the oil reaches the low mark. Rarely do I have to do so (maybe twice or thrice in the entire life of the car?), for the engine didn't consume much oil in between oil changes even before the turbo failure.

irrational self congratulatory rant

Yeah... thats great.

Driven like a 'performance sedan' - suggesting that the car must be modded to stage 2 and driven hard to avoid engine/turbo failure is absurd, and I can't seriously believe you meant that.

Maintained like a 'performance sedan' might be valid too, if there were no well maintained cars or 'stage 2' cars that blew turbos or engines. Do other comparable turbo cars have similar rates of major failures? I don't know definitively if they do or not, but my impression is that the EVO/STI/WRX crowd have less of these issues. If other turbo sedans *can* more reliable than the LGT, then the LGTs design is inferior when it comes to reliability.

Loving your car does not require denial of it's faults, much less dismissing anyone who has run into them as 'haters', 'cheapos', abusers, or liars. Do I love my car? Sure. Am I surprised by how many people have major problems? You bet.

• I Donated
Do other comparable turbo cars have similar rates of major failures? I don't know definitively if they do or not, but my impression is that the EVO/STI/WRX crowd have less of these issues. If other turbo sedans *can* more reliable than the LGT, then the LGTs design is inferior when it comes to reliability.

The STI and WRX and FXT all have problems of one kind or another. It's all the same engine and transmission, and reasonably similar turbos (although the VF40 is kind of notorious for blowing up). The Audi 1.8T (not sure about the 2.0T) and the BMW N54 both have problems. The Audi 2.7T doesn't have problems... if you upgrade the turbos. Not sure about the Evo. I think Volvo turbo engines are fine, but at least the S60R/V70R have horrific AWD problems, so they'll get you somewhere. Turbo cars are definitely more finicky than NA cars, at least in their most common implementations.

This is the most unreliable car I have had to date. Had a whole strew of mustangs and lightnings.

Tranny issues twice

blown turbo at 33k totally stock

coil pack took a shitter

power steering pump went

p.s. my car is an 08 that I have had for 8 mnths.

This is the most unreliable car I have had to date. Had a whole strew of mustangs and lightnings.

Tranny issues twice

blown turbo at 33k totally stock

coil pack took a shitter

power steering pump went

p.s. my car is an 08 that I have had for 8 mnths.

Holy Cow....I hope my 08 LGT 5EAT holds up better. I have had it about 2 weeks, it had 9863 mile (low for an 08) and I have put about 1400 mile on it (I drive 100 mile a day). I bought Subaru for the great reputation. I am so paranoid I swear there is mis-fire at idle especially at cold startup. I attribute that to the nature of the turbo engine and/or auto tranny. If it's a misfire then it's so slight the ECU has shown me a CEL. I understand there is a trade off having a turbo car versus a NA car. I understand that the car requires oil changes every 3000-7500 (depending on what manual/TSB/post/dealer/mechanic you ask). With that said the car should be designed and built to get 100K easy out of most major parts (including turbo).

Point in case. Everyone raves on Honda build quality, I thought so too. Until 2 days before our beach trip last summer the torque converter goes out (sound lock rocks in it, I figure a fin broke loose) in the wifes 05 Honda Accord LX 4CYL with less than 83K. Read up and found it's a common problem in the V6 model and limited cases in the 4 cylinder models. Wife drives back roads to work with 2 kids in the car, she doesn't hot rod. Left it at a family members shop you dropped in a reman TC. Wife still wanted to trade off to get something with 4WD for winter. In case anyone cares, she moved on to a 07 black cherry FJ with 43K. Things a beast, drives like a brick sucks the gas but will go anywhere. Serviced per the schedule by dealer due to time, weather, kids and to keep the lifetime powertrain warranty the dealer gives. It now has 59K, sounds like it could have exhaust leak (dealer says no 2 separate times, serpentine belt squeaks).

You wanna see cars with problems look at any VW/Audi forum. I know first hand, we had a 00 New Beetle that had rings replaced at 20K due to oil consumption, power window switches, ate headlights like candy, air bag lights. It's funny because dealer told us to run the same Rotella T Syn 5W40 (was harder to find in 01-04) or Wolf's Head oil ( can not find around here). I always wondered why run a diesel oil API C_ instead of the API S_ rated stuff. To me I would think the additive packages would not be well suited for any gas car, but see it mentioned here alot. Fast Forward a few years there I was two weeks ago considering a Jetta or Golf or GTI (after vowing I would probably not own or let my wife buy another VW) due to the fact they are about the only manufactuer with a small TDI (BlueTec) and get 41+ MPG.

My belief is any car will give you trouble at some point. Some more than others. My first generation new body style 97 (actually built Jan 96 with 95 4.6L, so a very early model) now has 207K. Nothing major due to failure. I have replaced many parts due to my obsession with everything sounding/feeling new. Original motor and 4 spd auto (4R70W, better version of AODE). Oil changed every 6K or sooner with Mobil 1 5W30 and Purolator Pureone filter (decent filter, check them out, use to love the blue they were painted, matched the truck).

Now Subaru and the deep down details of turbo cars are new to me, Know a little from the guys with diesel trucks (Cummins and Powerstroke's and the Mustang guys (Paxton's and Vortech's). If I could get 24+ MPG, I would drivin a 06 5.9L Mega Cab. I look at this car as a fresh start

OK, enough of my life/car story. Let's all agree anyone can get a lemon or have a problem. Oh, and I reserve my right to change my mind if this car turns out to to be crap.

Archived