LegacyGT.com

DIY 5EAT Transmission Rebuild

ClimberDHexMods

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You'd probably want to do the associated seals that'd you'd be touching at the same time, especially if you're opening up the piston end of the clutch assembly, so you could piece together those cheaper than a full rebuild kit, for sure.

As far as the pistons, they aren't necessary if you're not intending to do a full rebuild, unless the seals at its edge are worn or torn. A piston set isn't that expensive though. These are not the aluminum pistons within the clutch pack that I'm refering to here, but rather the stamped plate visible inside of it, secured with an external snap ring. Like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/K62900R-99-RE5R05A-5-Speed-RWD-Piston-Kit-Package-3-Pistons-2001-08-Nissan-/360433934439?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item53eb896067&vxp=mtr. I think these are referred to as retainer plates or simply covers in other nomenclatures.

s-l1600.jpg.39cd4d96f345956dfca0ddc10d8aad32.jpg

Looks like we'll only get 5 clutch pairs in the hi/low clutch pack with stock thickness clutches. There's just isn't enough material to take off of the piston. On the next build (the failed unit coming out of the car), I'll be doing custom thickness front brake and hi/low steels to increase the counts to 3 and 6 respectively.

I lathed the input, high/low and direct pistons last night and reassembled those clutch packs this morning. The input and direct both have 8 pairs of clutches via the Alto PowerPacks now and the high/low has 5 pairs of stock thickness Red Eagle frictions and Raybestos steels.

All of the clutch packs have 1.20mm (.047") of clearance, which is +.05mm from the tight end of the PowerPack specs. The high/low Subaru spec is 1.8-2.2mm for 4 pairs, but Nissan and the ATRA builders spec it at 1.0-1.5mm. At 1.20mm, it's still more clearance per plate than the PowerPack spec, so I'm quite comfortable with the 1.20mm spec that I decided on for the 5 pairs that are in there.

All of the pre-lathe measurements and calculated cut depths worked out perfectly to acheive the 1.20mm spec. I did have to mill new fluid relief notches on the direct and input pistons, but that's no big deal. The machine work was a bit time consuming. I think I spent close to 5 hours getting everything just right. Getting the piston faces perfectly parallel to within .0001" was the tricky part. Tap, tap, pry, pry, tap, check runout, tap, pry, etc.

Here are some pics:

2013-01-26_17-07-58_241.thumb.jpg.fb96ec28cde99ae78cdf8d190f9c0a1f.jpg

2013-01-26_18-39-19_135.thumb.jpg.2d6a5635d2020d484c046e2e6b7097ce.jpg

2013-01-27_10-42-23_365.thumb.jpg.ee42b1a61b3cc893b1cf9ee94fa9ddd5.jpg

2013-01-27_11-39-23_951.thumb.jpg.2e2e67bad47c1be4b7281ef60bc1c078.jpg

2013-01-27_12-42-28_598.thumb.jpg.4d6b01733b8ab185ded7c4690c42ac37.jpg

2013-01-27_13-41-21_669.thumb.jpg.0effa2a38a434f570bb221191c384725.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I've only been working on the trans intermittently now in my spare time. All of the major components are cleaned and ready for reassembly. It's going smoothly, it's just time consuming doing it right and I don't have a ton of spare time. It might be done and ready for installation this weekend though.

I've also been working on what will be on offer regarding 5EAT rebuild kits, clutch pack kits, and more. There will be a few options for each. I'm working on ironing out the supply chain in order to offer the best pricing. Don't expect to see anything for sale for a month or more though.

Other than the soft VB calibrations and the fragile diff bearings, which have already been solved, the major weak points are the high/low clutch pack and the front brake. Both are potentially used under high load conditions and just don't have enough surface area to hold up to considerable power. I have solutions for both that solve those problems, with products forthcoming. ETA is around the time taxes are due, possibly before.

Thanks - will look forward to that. Looking for a LGT 5EAT Wagon for the wife, but don't want to deal with the slush-box-like tendencies. 07 for the Si drive helps, but not enough. Want it to tow and be a wagon...and all that means.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 2 months later...
Other than the soft VB calibrations and the fragile diff bearings, which have already been solved, the major weak points are the high/low clutch pack and the front brake. Both are potentially used under high load conditions and just don't have enough surface area to hold up to considerable power. I have solutions for both that solve those problems, with products forthcoming. ETA is around the time taxes are due, possibly before.

I want to say a big thanks to yourself, climber d and frankster for the work and research you have put into the 5eat. Without this many such as myself would be quite lost...

Forgive me for my ignorance but when exactly is tax time in the USA? (I'm from Australia)

Secondly, do you have any line of sight over whether these kits will suit the later model facelifted 5eat? (08 plus in the USA or 07-09 in Australia).

If not this isnt a problem as I have one of each (04 GT box and 08 GT box).

Looking to rebuild at present to handle 400-420awkw (550whp).

Failing that, which gearbox numbers are you guys rebuilding? This is important for us audm folk who received the 2.0 GT in 03-06 and the 2.5GT in 07-09 variations.

My completely stock 04gt box was fine with 350whp and over 30 launches at 3000rpm plus, but can't see it lasting too long with my proposed power of 420-450whp, thus the rebuild I'm doing. Also bought a set of bushes from frankster (thank you again) which should resolve centre diff issues but seeking guidance on correct approach with the rest of it

Many thanks in advance for your assistance

Mick

In 2013 deadline to file taxes was April 15, it will be the same next year.

Last year was April 17. Depends, if 15th falls on a Friday, they are due the following Monday. If it falls on a Saturday or Sunday, they are due the following Tuesday.

In 2013 deadline to file taxes was April 15, it will be the same next year.

Last year was April 17. Depends, if 15th falls on a Friday, they are due the following Monday. If it falls on a Saturday or Sunday, they are due the following Tuesday.

So we're overdue for an update then ! :lol:

Kouki - anxiously awaiting reports of any progress you have made :)

Cheers

Mick

I'm still waiting on custom thickness steels to return from getting WPC treated. That will let me finish the first 6 pair Hi/Lo/Rev pack. Possibly this weekend, but more likely the weekend of the 11th. Need to document and photograph the next trans teardown and test fit the first ever 3 pair front brake. Parts will be ready before instructions. Nothing will be ready to ship, even to guinea pigs, until late May.

Just throwing this out there out of the blue like a total ignoramus but I've forgot what the consensus is. Does using the transmission in manual mode put more wear/tear on parts otherwise not used in full auto mode? I'm talking about the brakes you mentioned. Kinda late in the game to be asking this, 103K miles on the clock, zero issue and I use manual mode alot. I guess there's my answer :)

Just throwing this out there out of the blue like a total ignoramus but I've forgot what the consensus is. Does using the transmission in manual mode put more wear/tear on parts otherwise not used in full auto mode? I'm talking about the brakes you mentioned. Kinda late in the game to be asking this, 103K miles on the clock, zero issue and I use manual mode alot. I guess there's my answer :)

i would say no it would actually increase tranny life as the clutches are engaged faster. and kept with higher pressure.

its the act of high throttle shifting that does wear, not just being in a mode.

if you let off the throttle before shifts AND BACK ON ( IF THE STUPID TCU WOULD ALLOW YOU TO DO THAT) the tranny could last 500 000 miles at 500+ hp. just like how manual tranny the cluch would last forever on a mt highway car.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

• 9 months later...
Hey ClimberD, just curious, but if we ship our tranny to you do you do rebuilds? Or just make the various parts?

I have a 5EAT on its way to me right now for a full build. Customer has put down his deposit and we have discussed exactly what he wants.

Stay tuned.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Sweet, can you PM me general pricing info for that please? I'm comparing costs between a 5eat rebuild vs a 6mt swap and would like to start saving, planning, and prepping for either direction as soon as possible.

I don't need something super race built, just strong enough to handle an 18g on e85 (350-380whp). No drag racing, just a couple HPDE's a year.

Archived