LegacyGT.com

DIY 5EAT Transmission Rebuild

ClimberDHexMods

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 years later...
Other than the soft VB calibrations and the fragile diff bearings, which have already been solved, the major weak points are the high/low clutch pack and the front brake. Both are potentially used under high load conditions and just don't have enough surface area to hold up to considerable power. I have solutions for both that solve those problems, with products forthcoming. ETA is around the time taxes are due, possibly before.

We never got an update...

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
OP, did you end up replacing the solenoids on your 5EAT? Are the RE5R05A solenoids a direct match? I've got a funky solenoid in my '08 Tribeca and I've scoured the internet for information but can't find any. Seems silly to replace the whole valve body for solenoid that is a little wonky.

After getting the vehicle hot (1-2 hours driving), I get a very hard shudder at a shift (I think 2-3 but it's violent enough that I don't experiment further once it starts up), but only when going up a very steep grade, like a long mountain pass. Otherwise the tranny is great. A mechanic I know suspects it's a solenoid that's gummed up or one that has an issue with the spring or who knows. I'm not about to start pulling them out to inspect if I can't get a replacement. And I'm not into replacing the whole valvebody for an intermittent problem if I don't have to.

So, even though we owned a Tribeca I am not familiar with them. Is that a 5EAT? If so, it sounds as though you have the same issue I am having with mine. In doing some research it seems like it may be a bad turbine speed sensor. Read through the thread below...most of it that is...

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/valve-body-replaced-236072.html

Yeah, ATF has been changed along with the filters and the level is exactly right, and it is a 5EAT.

whitexc, have you tried the speed sensor fix? Mine's not throwing a code and the descriptions in the threads are similar but not the same. I guess it's easy and cheap enough to replace, but it'd be nice to be able to diagnose it. I haven't been able to find a TSB with info on checking resistances or anything of the current sensor yet.

I have not replaced the sensor, yet. I get the slide-bang 2/3 shift after a few weeks of driving. I do a TCU reset through FreeSSM and then it's good for another few weeks. If it keeps up I will pull the valve body this summer and see if a new sensor is the fix.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

IIRC, The 06-07 Tribeca 5EAT is fundamentally the same trans that is stock on the 5EAT-equipped 05-07 Legacy GT/3.0 and Outback XT/3.0

The 08-14 Tribeca 5EAT is fundamentally the same trans that is stock on the 08-09 Legacy GT/3.0, Outback XT/3.0 and the 10-14 Legacy/Outback 3.6.

Gear ratios may be slightly different, but, for a given year, the trans itself is the same across those platforms

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived