LegacyGT.com

Aftermarket spark plugs?

My Legacy is geting all grown up and is gona hit the 60K mile in a few months and when that happens it's time to changes some that i don't know whats cold in the engine. When that's done it's aperantly a good time to change the spark plugs cus the engine has to be removed fore that. Now my question is. Are aftermarket spark plugs any better?

Spark plugs are one of those things I always stay OEM with. Seems like anytime people switch to a non-oem plug, they just have issues. If they don't have issues, they don't experience any benefit from the non-oem plugs. The only exception is if you're tuned and have to go colder, even then i'd still stay with the oem brand, same center electrode material and # of ground electrode(s).

x3 on the OEM NGK's. I ran some NGK's that were supposed to be oem equivalent from Autozone and I noticed reduced performance and a slight drop in mpg. I didn't run them for very long.

All NGKs are the same no matter where you buy them. I wonder why you had issues ?

We ran NGK's from Advance Auto Parts in the race Honda. No issues.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

With the proper u-joint and short extensions, I have absolutely no problem changing spark plugs on these cars. I can get the drill on the socket extension to zip them out and back in very quickly. Isn't that bad if you are methodical.
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

I'm also running NGK one-step colder plugs on my stg. 2 engine. I got my plugs form sparkplugs.com since they usually have good coupons available online. They have been in for 15K and no issues.

I use a similar method as ClimberD to remove and install my plugs. It is a pain since they heads are so close to the engine-bay walls but its do-able if you don't rush the job too much...

Just my .02 but far preferable to paying the dealer $$$$ for such a simple operation!

x3 on the OEM NGK's. I ran some NGK's that were supposed to be oem equivalent from Autozone and I noticed reduced performance and a slight drop in mpg. I didn't run them for very long.

check the box.... i bet you had a -11 at the end of the part number

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

That can be misleading if people don't know what you are talking about. .020 is not necessary or beneficial to change to if you have no ignition problems at a wider gap.
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

That can be misleading if people don't know what you are talking about. .020 is not necessary or beneficial to change to if you have no ignition problems at a wider gap.

I was going to add but deleted it from my last post.

On honda's we would close the gap as we increased boost. On the stock ignition we were down to .017" at 25psi on the 1.6L single cam at425whp. With a M&W Pro-14 box we were at 0.19" at 35psi 586whp.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

All NGKs are the same no matter where you buy them. I wonder why you had issues ?

We ran NGK's from Advance Auto Parts in the race Honda. No issues.

Do you mean to say all NGK spark plugs are similar regardless to part #? I can assure you that not to be the case. I believe Autozone simply recommended a plug that wasn't quite compatible. They don't always know what they are talking about.

I run NGK TR6's on my other vehicle at times for tuned nitrous runs, which are one step colder then my Motorcraft OEM plugs.

check the box.... i bet you had a -11 at the end of the part number

You are correct. The OEM plugs I use (recommended from Subaru) are NGK FR5AP-11 which I believe are common for the 2.5i. These are what were initially installed in the car from the factory and I've had really good performance/fuel economy from them.

The plug Autozone gave me was an NGK BKR5EGP. The Subaru didn't like them. They didn't even carry the oem part #. The cheapest I've found the plug is on Amazon for about $7 bucks a piece. The dealer wants $16 a piece. :eek:

My car is about to hit the big 60k also and just out of curiousity what does it usually cost for subaru to change the plugs?

Approximately

$16 a plug x 4 = $64 in parts.

1hr labor? = $75 dollars?

Total = Way, way too much!

Archived