LegacyGT.com

Aftermarket spark plugs?

My Legacy is geting all grown up and is gona hit the 60K mile in a few months and when that happens it's time to changes some that i don't know whats cold in the engine. When that's done it's aperantly a good time to change the spark plugs cus the engine has to be removed fore that. Now my question is. Are aftermarket spark plugs any better?

Am I the only one that had trouble understanding the original post? I mean, I read it 4 times and still don't understand why the engine is being removed besides "some that I don't know what's cold in the engine"?

He's removing the engine because it makes changing the spark plugs alot easier.... which it does.

I hate changing spark plugs, you know that... :) But removing the engine requires laying on the ground, bear hugging the engine, and wrestling around until it separates from the tranny... At least that's what Rao told me when nothing else was working....

geeze so about 150ish give or take hu? That is a bit on the pricey side for plugs

My buddy has an 08 Porsche Cayenne S, and the dealer wants $3200 to change the spark plugs and oil. $150 is what I was planning on charging him.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Ha ha, ever call the dealer to see what they want to change our plugs? After I did the turbo swap on my car and got the engine back in to the wife's Outback, I called around for quotes on changing my plugs because I was so frustrated with working on the car at that point, it's not cheap either. Luckily mwiener2 helped me out...

A lift would have been very nice and probably saved a trip to the eye doctor to get crap out of my eyes that made it past the safety glasses... :)

Aren't the plugs on top on a Cayenne?

It's a big V8 :) Not very Porsche-like, but then the whole car is one massive contradiction...

Found all sorts of ways to save money for him... "Porsche Magical ATF" for $33/qt is in fact Mobil 3309 for $10/qt, which is cross-compatible with Toyota Type-IV for $4.50/qt. The list goes on... his last brake job was $3000, because his wife took it in... I love senseless rich people.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

He's removing the engine because it makes changing the spark plugs alot easier.... which it does.

I thought you were joking. :eek: I guess I'm just ignorant when it comes to the gt. I guess your engine bay is a lot more cramped.

I think he is joking... At least for me it's much more work to pull the engine than to change the plugs where they are. Maybe middle ground would be unbolting the engine mounts and lifting it up an inch if you really get claustrophobic. I did this to get an Up Pipe installed and it worked fine.

Longest its ever taken me to do plugs is 3-4 hours. Fastest I've ever pulled and replaced an engine is about 7 hours.

That's about right, laying on you back. Lot quicker if you have a lift. GT should be under 2hr. With my lift.

If I ever pull the motor out. I would cut & weld in 4 tube in the frame rail. That would make spark plug change in under 30min.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

im trying to make sense of all this spark plug talk, i have been searching all over the site for some answers but to me this is somewhat confusing. I am running stage 2 and i see everywhere that people are going one step colder with the plugs and are buying ngk because they work the best and are oem brand from my understanding. I went to check out fred beans parts, they have the one step colder plugs but say its mainly for use with cars that are running numbers of 100 hp over stock. I know there is no way any stage 2 legacy is running 100 hp over stock, should i just stick with oem plugs right from the dealership since i cant seem to find the right part number since they are now using newer part numbers and arent these plugs pre gapped if so why if everyone changing the gap setting even though ngk recommends that you do not change them if so its at your own risk?

Archived