LegacyGT.com

How often do you get stuck in the snow?

All seasons and a foot or two of snow piled up around the parked car caused me no issues two winters ago.

Other than that, we don't get enough snow to worry.

Has anyone mentioned dedicated snow tires are a good thing yet......?:hide:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never been stuck in my LGT. I got stuck once in my '98 Impreza when I bottomed it out trying to bust outta my parking spot I was plowed into. Took a while with my ice scraper to dig it out, but I got her loose :lol:

Once I stopped to help someone in an accident in a median and once I was finished speaking with the trooper, he looked at my car and said "you're gonna need towed outta there" I smiled back and said "nah, I'll be fine, it's a Subaru" and pulled right out. :D

Finally got over my laziness and uploaded these snow pics

Very cool. If you haven't already you should post these up in the post up your snow pics.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

If you get stuck then you are not a very good driver. And has less to do with your tires or your actual driving prowess. You are a good driver also when you recognize the limitations of your equipment and the hazard : the potential to get stuck and therefore avoid driving altogether or choose an alternate route or the need for better tires.

by saying snow tires were a must i'm just saying if you HAVE to go through bad conditions.. good driver or bad, snow tires will help you. obviously the best route to go is to not put yourself in a position to get stuck... ie: driving off the pavement into plowed over snow :lol:

Once during a storm that was a blizzard. I went off the exit through a windrow snow pile from passing plow higher than my Legacy GT hood. Lost site of what was next and ended up with my front end sucked into where the plow last left its wake and rotated 45 degrees blocking exit. The "plowed" part was 6"+ deep and drifted in only deeper and with a bit of speed.

The LGT was up the snowbank a bit. I was lucky as state plow worker could not get by or around me. He hooked my tow strap to dump truck and gently pulled me out. He was not supposed to pull me out but the exit was blocked and next tow truck was hours away.

I will never go out during a blizzard again.

i find that Subaru only get stuck when they run out of clearance on hard packed snow or ice or if you get 2 wheels of the ground. if the snow is fluffy/fresh and you have clearance otherwise, these cars are unstoppable assuming you have the right tires.

Yeah, I can get out of almost any snow as long as I don't overcook it into a turn and get my car sitting up on packed snow. I love the AWD in this car, but the ground clearance is the one thing that makes me with I had bought an SUV or something a little taller. I suppose as long as I don't drive like a total fool out there I should be fine. But from the sounds of it, snow tires won't help with that problem at all, once you're sitting on enough snow

Never been stuck. Snow tires make a work of difference in the deep stuff. We had 1.5ft last week in milwaukee and I had no problems getting out of my apartment.

What part of Milwaukee are you from? I live in Tosa right now

HA! Stuck?? Hardyharhar. Never once. Been down deep snowy uphill seasonal roads, across farm roads with 3ft plus of powder, 18+ inches of wet snow and the closest i've come to getting stuck was last week. Wet and icy base with about six inches on top parked on a steep driveway with another car parked four feet ahead of me. Had to go back and forth a few times but she got out.

Dedicated winter tires are a must, but if the car had a limited slip front diff I would have to say its the most capable snowy car out there.

I got stuck three times in four winters in my LGT wagon. I always used "performance winter" tires. (Would true snow tires have gotten me through these situations? I doubt it. Maybe the first one...maybe.)

Once I stupidly stopped at a stop sign in wet/heavy snow up to the door sill, and was instantly high sided. Even winter tires don't help much when they're barely touching the snow. ;) I knew better than to stop, but I wasn't actively thinking about it so my normal driving instincts kicked in. It took a lot of shoveling under the car to get free. The snow was still coming down pretty hard too.

Another time I tried to drive down an unplowed street with 1.5ft or so of unplowed, very wet/heavy snow. I'd been reading stories of how the LGT can get through 2ft of fresh snow with some momentum...ummm, no, not if that snow is Sierra cement. :lol: I didn't get far at all so I was able to rock the car free without any shoveling.

The third time I tried to get up a steep driveway with maybe 1.5ft (I don't remember exactly) of Sierra cement, with no space to get a running start from. That took some shoveling and rocking the car to get free.

As stated in this thread....the ONLY way to stop a Subaru is to ride up onto it . Once the underbelly is sitting on hard snow...... Nothing will help---not even studded tires . If there is no contact with the road, you aren't going anywhere.

I stupidly drove confidently out of my garage once and got stuck in 18" of perfect "snowball packing snow". It was as if I had driven the car up onto ramps to change my oil. Had I not been so cocky and come out of the garage slowly , I would have realized what was about to occur.

Other than that one moment of over-confidence I've not been able to get myself stuck.

Do it right the first time.........or don't bother doing it at all.

This*"stuck"*is*what*happens*to*us*peons*without*winter*tires.*I*just*got*my*car*about*3*months*ago*it*came*with*brand*new*all-seasons,*so*i*(foolishly,*i*guess)*decided*to*go*ahead*with*those.*They're*Kumho*Ecsta*ASTs.*They're*ok*in*anything*that*is*about*6"*or*less.*Anything*more*and*goodbye*traction

I fit into this segment. Except they sold me mine with 4 Summer tires. They are the mystical Fuzion ZRI tires. I'n the wet sticky snow they dont do to bad, in slippery poweder... it can be scary some times. Cant afford winter tires :(

But I haven't got stuck yet and I've been driving in all the New England snow storms this year (live in RI) With a little common sense, and not trying to bite off more then you can chew on the roads you shouldn't ever be stuck

For me, stuck once when ice was too thick at the end of the driveway and created a small bump.

Quick question not directly related to snow but to the cold:

I have a 2010 Legacy 2.5 Limited and I am having issues with the CVT transmission with the cold weather. A good example, I started my car this morning (15 degrees outside), car was ok to start. I was able to go from Park to D. However, while the car is cold and in general for another 15/20 mn, I was not able to go back to either Neutral or Rear. This is a safety hazard as I had to rear my car at an intersection and I was not able to. This happens only when the car is cold, the transmission grips. Has somebody seen that before? Not sue if the CVT can "freeze"?

For me, stuck once when ice was too thick at the end of the driveway and created a small bump.

I have a 2010 Legacy 2.5 Limited and I am having issues with the CVT transmission with the cold weather. A good example, I started my car this morning (15 degrees outside), car was ok to start. I was able to go from Park to D. However, while the car is cold and in general for another 15/20 mn, I was not able to go back to either Neutral or Rear. This is a safety hazard as I had to rear my car at an intersection and I was not able to. This happens only when the car is cold, the transmission grips. Has somebody seen that before? Not sue if the CVT can "freeze"?

You would probably get more help posting in correct forum area then in thread about getting stuck in snow. Being a 2010 you likely still have a warranty, so maybe trying taking it to the dealer.

Haven't seen this before, but then again, this is the first year MY with CVT. Try posting it in the Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - ) forum to see if others are experiencing this. Sounds like a safety of flight issue to me.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

You can never get stuck in the snow when you drive a MATV. But in all seriousness I have never got stuck in the snow in the Subie. I am out in the worst road conditions due to my job and not being able to take a snow day or being able to adjust my times due to snow. If you just take it easy and not speed around the snow is not an issue....well at least not for me.

matv_utility.jpg.e8954045ee2cfd09495c25e56953fd23.jpg

As stated in this thread....the ONLY way to stop a Subaru is to ride up onto it . Once the underbelly is sitting on hard snow...... Nothing will help---not even studded tires . If there is no contact with the road, you aren't going anywhere.

That's what happened to me both times... I'm embarrassed for being such an asshat, but I'll just chalk it up to learning my limits and being young.

Exactly. Which is why if there is more than a few inches of snow I drive my truck. 12" of ground clearance and AS tires beats 5" and snow tires in deep snow every time.

Archived