LegacyGT.com

How often do you get stuck in the snow?

I echo the earlier feelings. Ground clearance is an issue with these cars. Otherwise, I too have 3 LSDs on the car which makes it pretty unstoppable with the right tires as long as I do not drive over the snow. I always tell people who ask me about an LSD upgrade: a) you feel it in fast corners in the dry and b) you feel it in slow corners on the snow - the car will have less of a tendency to rotate.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i find that Subaru only get stuck when they run out of clearance...

+1, and the front suspension bits are like anchors. i never had issue with any amount of snow, but framed the car like a brick in mud one time. lousy treads + swifts drop + subie hubris = humiliating tow from ~1940 tractor.

If you get stuck then you are not a very good driver. And has less to do with your tires or your actual driving prowess. You are a good driver also when you recognize the limitations of your equipment and the hazard : the potential to get stuck and therefore avoid driving altogether or choose an alternate route or the need for better tires.

1. You can't recognize the limitations of a vehicle without getting stuck a few times.

2. The best driver in the world can't do **** in snow with summer performance tires. Tires have a LOT to do with how well you can handle driving in snow.

Solution to all the world's problems: Keep a collapsible shovel and a bag of sand in your trunk during the winter.

Looks like a fun lot to play in. I did get a little stuck in my own driveway the other week -- oops! Two causes: while I was out, a road plow graciously piled up a lot of slush and snow a couple feet high, and I entered the pile at low speed going uphill instead of approaching it from the downhill angle. Oh well, about 30 seconds of quick shoveling solved that problem.

I've had no issues on the road, especially with Hakka R's on.

I got myself stuck intetionally just to see how the leggy reacts (and how I react) and to get myself unstuck. I was in a parking lot not 30 feet from where I live. It was packed pretty well but a bit of rocking got me free. I consider it good training. cooper studs with some serious mileage on em.

My girlfriend got my car temporarily lodged in the snow while backing out of the driveway (I have no idea how she couldn't back the car straight out), but it was nice to have the AWD there. The driver half of the car was into the snow and we were on an incline. About 2-3 minutes of rocking the car finally freed it. It was her first experience "driving" in the snow as she is originally from the south

I got stuck three times in four winters in my LGT wagon.

<snip>

Actually, I got stuck a fourth time, but it truly was not my fault.

I was driving around a gradual right turn with a rock wall covered in snow on my right. A snow plow being towed by an even bigger truck came around the bend in the opposite direction, and started sliding into my lane. It was bury myself in the snowbank or get crushed. I went for the former. At least the guys towing it stopped and pulled me out.

They did have the right idea by attaching the back of the snow plow to a pickup, to try to keep it from swinging around. But it didn't work.

1. You can't recognize the limitations of a vehicle without getting stuck a few times.

+1. Nothing wrong with getting stuck, it's a learning experience. Keep a shovel in the car, dig yourself out, and move on with your newfound knowledge of your car's limits.

Archived