LegacyGT.com

android Torque app

MDKSDMF

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey, just a quick question about the BT adaptor ?

How is this device powered ? battery or from the ecu ?

Is it safe to leave it plugged in full time, ie, just leave it in there.

Will it drain the battery ?, or does it shut off with the car ? I know the my usb VAG-COM cable stay lit even when car is off, and draining from battery.

Thanks.

I left it plugged in 24/7, until I kicked it on a -40 day and broke the casing :redface:, after that I just pulled it out when I needed it. :) Powered by the OBDII connector, and turns off when the car turns off, so no battery drain.

This is the one I got: http://cgi.ebay.ca/OBDII-OBD2-Diagnostic-327-wireless-Bluetooth-V1-4-/370453542731?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item5640c0774b#ht_2347wt_905

Here is another option for about $26 shipped. Its a trusted website and I always got my orders from there. Too bad there is nothing simillar for the iphone.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/obdii-bluetooth-car-diagnostic-cable-black-blue-orange-dc-12v-42825

time to get rid of the shitty iphone...haha

i want this, but i dont NEED this....

ya i just bought a VAG com cable which kind of rules me out of getting this...altho it sounds like a legit scan tool which could come in handy as i dont always have my laptop on me.

I left it plugged in 24/7, until I kicked it on a -40 day and broke the casing :redface:, after that I just pulled it out when I needed it. :) Powered by the OBDII connector, and turns off when the car turns off, so no battery drain.

This is the one I got: http://cgi.ebay.ca/OBDII-OBD2-Diagnostic-327-wireless-Bluetooth-V1-4-/370453542731?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item5640c0774b#ht_2347wt_905

How fast is the refresh rate? 1Hz? Cause if it is 1Hz, then that's slow (i.e. gauge would get refreshed once per second).

Why does it rule out getting this? You can use both, you know...

That's exactly what I did with my Impreza. I had a tactrix for logging and tuning, and then kept this thing in the car for when an engine light popped on and I didn't have my laptop handy, or for just watching a couple of specific items while driving.

Plus, no cord in your lap while driving.

• I Donated
Plus, no cord in your lap while driving.

Get a USB extension cable and this won't be an issue. ;) I got an auto/air adapter and a USB extension cable and ran them through my dash and out the side of my center console. Makes it easier to pull the laptop out, plug it in, and use it. I just keep it under the driver's seat and never take it out of the car.

How fast is the refresh rate? 1Hz? Cause if it is 1Hz, then that's slow (i.e. gauge would get refreshed once per second).

I have the refresh/log date fixed at 0.5 sec, but it's something you can set starting at 0.1 sec... Up to 5 sec. I will try setting it to 0.1 sec to see if the mobile refreshes so fast... For logging it works for sure, but it's something you cannot see live...

I have the refresh/log date fixed at 0.5 sec, but it's something you can set starting at 0.1 sec... Up to 5 sec. I will try setting it to 0.1 sec to see if the mobile refreshes so fast... For logging it works for sure, but it's something you cannot see live...

thanks for the info. How about the turbo gauge for instance? Do you know how fast it refreshes?

Edit: I guess I just found the answer by doing a lil search :rolleyes: on [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiIjx6Bvzko]youtube[/ame]. Still though, I want to make sure that in our Subies, we can get the same performance. In any case, i am going to buy the bluetooth adapter. just wished I could find one that is much smaller in size.

thanks for the info. How about the turbo gauge for instance? Do you know how fast it refreshes?

Edit: I guess I just found the answer by doing a lil search :rolleyes: on

. Still though, I want to make sure that in our Subies, we can get the same performance. In any case, i am going to buy the bluetooth adapter. just wished I could find one that is much smaller in size.

I would tell you that in my case is as fast as in the video you linked... For the connector size, I will tell you that I'm 6ft high and have a 13 shoe, and with the Plx Kiwi I just cannot avoid sometimes to touch it with my feet when driving (clutch). But I would tell it's much smaller than the direct BT adapter. I just connected the OBD2 plug, and then got the wire through the below the door plastic parts easily just to the drivers seat, where it stays safe from kicks and discrete all the time.

I would not want to have the BT thing there all the time, I would kick it every time I got to the car, as some other has already mentioned!

Can anyone tell me if there's something I'm missing? I have a Bluetooth OBD-Key and an HTC Evo with Torque installed, and I'm trying to read data off of my 98 OB. I can read lots of data on my computer, but using the Torque app on the Evo, I can't seem to get any data other than coolant temp... not really sure why, unless it's simply Torque that sucks at supporting older vehicles.

I would tell you that in my case is as fast as in the video you linked... For the connector size, I will tell you that I'm 6ft high and have a 13 shoe, and with the Plx Kiwi I just cannot avoid sometimes to touch it with my feet when driving (clutch). But I would tell it's much smaller than the direct BT adapter. I just connected the OBD2 plug, and then got the wire through the below the door plastic parts easily just to the drivers seat, where it stays safe from kicks and discrete all the time.

I would not want to have the BT thing there all the time, I would kick it every time I got to the car, as some other has already mentioned!

Cool thanks. I am planning to unscrew the obd2 connector from the plastic trim so that I won't kick it. I am glad you confirmed that gauge is as fast as the video. That's pretty good I think.

Cool thanks. I am planning to unscrew the obd2 connector from the plastic trim so that I won't kick it. I am glad you confirmed that gauge is as fast as the video. That's pretty good I think.

Just one thing more! Take care because your mpg will fall for the first couple of weeks:lol::lol: I have been there looking at turbo peaks, air temp, coolant.... much more nervous driving than standard!;) I think I will try the same connector unscrewing... you know, as soon as I got the thing I plug and played, and really didn't use a second on thinking how to do it well!

Can anyone tell me if there's something I'm missing? I have a Bluetooth OBD-Key and an HTC Evo with Torque installed, and I'm trying to read data off of my 98 OB. I can read lots of data on my computer, but using the Torque app on the Evo, I can't seem to get any data other than coolant temp... not really sure why, unless it's simply Torque that sucks at supporting older vehicles.

I think that it will have to do with the manufacturing year... nevertheless, for my 06 is really good, BUT, Subaru is not sending some data that I cannot understand how they missed, like oil info and others (so important for the engine)... seems that other car manufacturers try to send more info than Subaru through OBDII.

You don't unscrew the connector. It's held in with clips.

Actually, I think it is both. I remember taking the plastic trim off cause I had to install my sound system. And I do recall taking a couple screws off, and then pushing the obd2 port out of the plastic trim cause it was still stuck due to those clips. IIRC

Just one thing more! Take care because your mpg will fall for the first couple of weeks:lol::lol: I have been there looking at turbo peaks, air temp, coolant.... much more nervous driving than standard!;) I think I will try the same connector unscrewing... you know, as soon as I got the thing I plug and played, and really didn't use a second on thinking how to do it well!

coool lol.

by the way, I know you swapped your engine to an EJ255. So do you have a hood with a hood scoop? Cause your picture does not show one.

• I Donated
Actually, I think it is both. I remember taking the plastic trim off cause I had to install my sound system. And I do recall taking a couple screws off, and then pushing the obd2 port out of the plastic trim cause it was still stuck due to those clips. IIRC

The screws hold the actual plastic piece to the kick panel (there are 3 plastic ones IIRC). The connector itself is only clipped in.

what does log do? i tried to put log toggle on when i left to colleged this morning then turned it off to email to me i tried opening it on my macbook but it said some crap about some problem.

what does log do? it data logs ur paramaters as u drive. good for monitoring the efficiency of ur motor. what error popped on when u went to open the file on ur mac:confused:? i am BANKING on this feature

Archived