LegacyGT.com

GI: Bolt on KONI Set ups for the LGT

m sprank

I was just going to ask if there is a recommended spring that will keep stock ride height on a legacy sedan, or if stock springs with Konis is a good combination.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find the idea great m sprank.

A few questions to you: Why should someone do this vs. going with RCE Tarmac Coilovers (for example) for a few hundred more?

Is it possible to get a more robust top-hat with the unit, or is the stock top hat desirable?

Mike,

Thank you for offering this service. I also have been considering this, but was intimidated by the install.

I have a question. Would you be purchasing front inserts and rear shocks as a set and shipping all 4 units with Epics or would I have to take care of the rear konis and epics myself. The Epics come in a set of 4 (front and rear). Just wondering how this will work.

Sorry for any confusion. I would be including front and rear. Fully assembled. My intention is for the end user to simply remove 7 bolts/nuts on each side up front (three top hat, one brake line, one ABS line, two at knuckle) and three bolts/nuts from the rear (two top hat, one at shock eye).

Simple as possible. All I need in return as a core is the front struts minus springs and the rear tophat and spring perch (dont need strut or spring).

I do like RCE's no doubt. But they are about $1850 assembled. There might be a sale where the price is slightly less, that is up to RCE.

I get lots of questions about the Konis and do install plenty of them. But seems like those that are not local get a little timid about the install. Just thought this might make it more reasonable and available to members. I am not going to get rich at $150 in labor per set, LOL.

Definitely going to have to keep this in mind for the springtime... I really want to do suspension this spring/summer but coilovers are overkill, and konis scared me at first, but something this simple sound pretty great.

Curious on how the epic springs work on a wagon... I dont believe I saw anything earlier in the thread.

I have yet to install Epics on a Wagon personally. They do not offer a wago spevific spring like Swift does. But I would imagine it is a decent combo. If there were any rear sag, it could be removed easily with a small shim.

goneskiian - thanks for including that info. Does the 1/4" shim give you an even stance, or do you find yourself wishing you'd went 3/8"?

m -what would be the cost including the shims & necessary hardware?

Thanks,

Matt.

$1100 delivered to CON US. Koni with Epic. Full bolt in package. Plus $150 core fee. Refunded when I get your OEM's back. Need everything but front and rear springs and rear struts.

So total is $1250 up front. $150 is refunded. I anticipate you spending $40-$50 to ship back to me. Should put total at $1150.

I see that as $850 for the parts. $150 for the labor and $100 for shipping to you.

Add $40 for shims and longer rear studs (proper size and thread).

goneskiian - thanks for including that info. Does the 1/4" shim give you an even stance, or do you find yourself wishing you'd went 3/8"?

m -what would be the cost including the shims & necessary hardware?

Thanks,

Matt.

You betcha!

I think it gives a really even stance. Even enough to have not pulled them and added the 3/8's spacers I have collecting dust in my garage! :lol::D;)

Links to posts with pictures of the Eibach/Koni set up on my wagon...

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2660793&postcount=173

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2782590&postcount=202

Cheers!

Isn't Epic the name of the company? Epic Engineering?

This is a pretty cool idea. Koni's aren't a terribly hard install, but not having to take the time to do it is worth a few extra bucks.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Thanks, goneskiian, those are the first pictures I've seen of a wagon with the koni/epic 1/4" spacer combo and believe me, I've wasted many a enjoyable hour searching for pictures.

MSprank, I will be hitting you up soon for this service. I'm off to Costa Rica for a week tomorrow so I will wait 'til I get back to contact you. I just bought a nice '07 GT wagon and am very impressed overall (coming from a '02 WRX wagon which I still have and still love), except for the Buick-style bounces after hitting smooth 'dips' on the highway. Seriously, my WRX wagon on original struts at 172k miles has much better rebound control than the 32k mile Legacy. Unacceptable -- even to an old fart like myself. As others have said, thank you for offering this service.

Archived