LegacyGT.com

Brightest yellow fog light bulbs?

Zac88

i'm sure the legacy would be fine with 4 ballasts, but i dont think its the best idea to turn them on all at the same time. that initial surge of current is too much.

just curious does you yukon turn all of them all at once? pretty cool.

my setup for reference. you can see how crappy the fogs pattern is.

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/7276/dsc07032m.jpg

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
wrong. the foglights are reflector. only 05-07 are projector. 08-09 are reflector.

Wrong what? OP has an 05.

And wtf is "electrical load?" Amperage, voltage? :confused: I can see this thread is full of scientists and electrical engineers. Who am I to argue with the experts? :lol::lol:

[...]And wtf is "electrical load?" Amperage, voltage? :confused: I can see this thread is full of scientists and electrical engineers. Who am I to argue with the experts? :lol::lol:

I'm on the fence about this whole topic, but I'll say that for somebody trying to assert themselves as a technical expert in this thread, you've lost a lot of credibility. Second paragraph: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_load. With enough load (and the subsequent voltage drop), a ballast won't fire.

Uhh, our concepts of gravity have changed a lot since it was first quantified by Newton, and continue to evolve to this day. I like how you continue to talk about "science" in your following post. Clearly, you possess a critical mind for science.

I see, so if your arguments start to falter or fall apart, you start with personal insults. Typical. I didn't intend to say science is never revised and I fully expected you to pick apart my example. Did the law change in recent past? I'm pretty sure you got my point but just chose to pounce on the example at an attempt to strengthen your argument.

Pray tell me, what new scientific data should be injected in the supposebly outdated articles that Dan Stern refers to? Just so you know, I don't consider him a God of Lighting of some sort. I think he knows enough and he operates a store front.

Sorry but again, you don't have a leg to stand on. You are arguing opinion.

out, and as you have conveniently ignored, filling the squirrel finders is essential to prevent glare above the cutoff. I'm not surprised that your perfectly aimed and double-checked (haha) headlights created glare.

But ... why would I have to do this? I do not understand. You said the focus is almost the same, you said the length of the bulb filament is almost the same, all I kept hearing is "almost the same". I am confused. So this is an exception to that. I wonder what else is an exception. You laugh, but I think it is clear that I made the best attempt I possibly could to make a proper HID integration. At the time I did this, nobody has mentioned the squirrel finders, I do believe it was not a well-known fact. Contrast me to someone that simply slapped them in and off they went. BTW, I was also one of the very few which chose to drill the caps on the headlamp and seal them with silicone from the elements. My install took a good two hours because I'm anal and everything needs to be tidy and as OEM-like as possible for me.

Here is a picture with my stock low beam bulbs and Tungsram Selective Gold fogs. It should be noted that this picture was taken with a point and shoot in manual mode. It is not a good representation of brightness, but does do a good job at capturing where the fogs hit and the contrast they create. The fogs are at their factory aim, I did not touch them in any way aside from swapping the bulbs. Compared to the picture above with the HID fogs, I think mine do hit farther.

Later edit: guess I had some comparo shots as well. They are with the HID lows though. Still relevant to the discussion of fogs.

Picture 2 makes a good job at pointing out what I did not like about the HIDs: crappy peripheral lighting compared to halogens. Lots of light right in front, right in the middle. Which served to draw my attention to that area and made lighting up ahead less ideal. That's my dad on the left in picture #2. You can barely see him and he's what ... a carlength ahead?

100_8827.JPG.d342f492e40cfccdebc341e3fb39e522.JPG

100_8829.JPG.fc49ef5b3c5c42be0b3195d47983de03.JPG

100_8828.JPG.93fb5c6bb00995b053d200591e9bd0cc.JPG

The previous owner of my 08 LGT put in Nokya foglights and they looked nice and yellow but the light output IMO was terrible. One of them recently blew so I ordered a set of Selective Yellow 55w bulbs from Daniel Stern's company out of MD www.candlepowerinc.com

I loved the output and color when I had these in my 04 WRX and granted I had projector foglight bulbs I kept on blowing bulbs (when I used Hella yellow stars) and when I switched to the bulbs from Daniel Stern's company they lasted until I sold the car a year later.

I may end up doing HID fogs I am not sure yet though as the bulbs cost me about $30 shipped a decent HID kit will be a little bit more.

just my .02 cents.

Jay

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

:lol:

Here is a picture with my stock low beam bulbs and Tungsram Selective Gold fogs. It should be noted that this picture was taken with a point and shoot in manual mode. It is not a good representation of brightness, but does do a good job at capturing where the fogs hit and the contrast they create. The fogs are at their factory aim, I did not touch them in any way aside from swapping the bulbs. Compared to the picture above with the HID fogs, I think mine do hit farther.

Later edit: guess I had some comparo shots as well. They are with the HID lows though. Still relevant to the discussion of fogs.

Picture 2 makes a good job at pointing out what I did not like about the HIDs: crappy peripheral lighting compared to halogens. Lots of light right in front, right in the middle. Which served to draw my attention to that area and made lighting up ahead less ideal. That's my dad on the left in picture #2. You can barely see him and he's what ... a carlength ahead?

well i must say, those HIDs you have there are terrible. what brand are they? maybe tonight i can post my lights so u can see the difference...

They're not terrible as much as the fact that again, it was a p&s camera.

The kit I had was a 5000K DDM kit I got from Xenonexpert.com, which is a vendor here.

Don't put too much effort into posting pics. I'm more than familiar with them, as well as HID kits on Legacies in person. Mine was no exception. If anything it was an exception in the sense that I did not go for the cheapest kit ...

How would I find squirrels if I fill the finders?

Fog lights are to be looking at the ground and not looking anyfurther. Fog lights are for finding the lines in the road in snowy weather. If they are brighter you loose visability when the ground is white. I really think the Original fog lights are good. I have driven in many fog storms here in Colorado and like the Original Fog lights.

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/7276/dsc07032m.jpg

This thread hurts my brain as it is a re-hash of the same arguments that creap up every year for the past 6 years....

The pic above is a perfect example of what fog lights are supposed to do; flood the front surrounding ground with light so you can pick up lane markers or curbs etc to keep you in your lane safely in shitty conditions.

It likely was repeated above but fog lights are not driving lights, they are not baja rally lights- they are not supposed to project a hundred feet out in front of your car.

I think the OEM fog lights and their design are spot on for what they are intended to do.

This thread hurts my brain as it is a re-hash of the same arguments that creap up every year for the past 6 years....

The pic above is a perfect example of what fog lights are supposed to do; flood the front surrounding ground with light so you can pick up lane markers or curbs etc to keep you in your lane safely in shitty conditions.

It likely was repeated above but fog lights are not driving lights, they are not baja rally lights- they are not supposed to project a hundred feet out in front of your car.

I think the OEM fog lights and their design are spot on for what they are intended to do.

Yes and no. The fog lights on my 09 LGT were aimed so low, that I literally couldn't see them at all. The upper cutoff was too low. Re-aiming helped some, but wasn't great.

I now run 35W, 3000K HIDs in the fog lights, and its a significant improvement. I only use fogs in adverse conditions for helping see lane markers and pot holes. Its entirely possible that the extra spray due to HIDs in a reflector housing actually helps. Using a 55W HID is a recipe for causing glare, its just too much light.

I do not understand. You said the focus is almost the same, you said the length of the bulb filament is almost the same, all I kept hearing is "almost the same". I am confused.

Let me clear the confusion:

Other bulb sizes such as H4 and 9007...focal point WAY OFF compared to HID capsule. Reflector based optics...impossible to establish proper cutoff unless the light source is speced exactly. Now whereas H7...almost the same spec as D2S. Projectors use a cutoff shield...doesn't matter where the light source is, as long as it's behind the shield, the cutoff will be sharp. The Legacy uses both H7 bulbs AND projectors. That is why HIDs work well in them. 92 Civic...uses H4 and reflectors, focal point is way off and there is no way to control the excess light above the cutoff. If you care to google bulb specs, you can compare each size to HID capsule specs. H7 is the closest.

At the time I did this, nobody has mentioned the squirrel finders
That's fine, but now that they have been mentioned, you know where your glare problems arose from. As I said, even with Osram Rallyes, the squirrel finders caused me an unbelievable amount of flashes from oncoming traffic.

Where did you get the specs for the focal points?

I was never confused about the differences between reflectors and projectors. The projectors still unfortunately don't spread the beam pattern evenly. I was very receptive to the fact that there was much more light in the immediate front, middle of the car, and less light on the sides and up ahead. This bothered me, it is a fact of life and I got rid of them. The Rallyes allow me to focus my attention wherever I want and they do not cause me eye strain. I have had them for years and I have never been flashed.

We will never agree on the properness of the swap, but we can agree that everyone is free to do it however they are the most comfortable with.

Where did you get the specs for the focal points?

I was never confused about the differences between reflectors and projectors. The projectors still unfortunately don't spread the beam pattern evenly. I was very receptive to the fact that there was much more light in the immediate front, middle of the car, and less light on the sides and up ahead. This bothered me, it is a fact of life and I got rid of them. The Rallyes allow me to focus my attention wherever I want and they do not cause me eye strain. I have had them for years and I have never been flashed.

We will never agree on the properness of the swap, but we can agree that everyone is free to do it however they are the most comfortable with.

suvlights.com has some specs, but google has more. With HIDs, the projectors spread the light evenly as long as you rotate the return wire so there is no shadow. The "hot spot" is dead center right below the cutoff, which is optimal for distance brightness. Though the spread of light to the side may not be as even as with halogens, the massively increased intensity of HIDs means that overall light output even on the sides is improved over halogens. There is more light up ahead AND on the sides with HIDs.

I have also had Osram Rallyes for years and I was flashed all the time. I bought them when they first came out, and used them up until very recently. If you have the patience to search my old posts, you'll my favourable reviews of them, as well as my subsequent questioning about squirrel finders. In the end, even aiming them wayyyy down below spec didn't stop people from flashing me. But as I said, I live in the mountains and I do a lot of pitch black driving now. Back when I lived in the city, I don't think people cared to flash you even if your lights were atrocious, given the number of ricerockets rolling around with HIDs in reflectors and simply idiots driving with their highbeams on.

if my car did not come with the fog installed, should I purchase the OEM fog kit then replace the light bulb with HID or is there a HID fog kit?

Short answer, yes. If you want something better, you can put HIDs in Hella Micro DE fogs, though doing a clean install of the Micro DEs is something I've been too lazy to take on myself.

Archived