LegacyGT.com

Brightest yellow fog light bulbs?

Zac88

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
anyone have opinion on Hella Yellow Star?

A tinted bulb is a tinted bulb. I had a set once on another car, if I recall they were dichroic yellow, which made a cool rainbow effect on my reflectors. But I also burnt the set out within a week...85/110W H4s relayed so the low and high filaments could be on together at the same time. :lol:

suvlights.com has some specs, but google has more.

The "hot spot" is dead center right below the cutoff, which is optimal for distance brightness

No it's not, and this coming from someone that drives on dark roads, just like I used to, frankly I find it surprising. That pool of light serves to instinctively draw your attention to it, away from lighting in the background, up ahead. The difference of intensity between foreground and background is significant. My eyes continually fought with this difference. Like brother TSi+WRX pointed out in another thread, and many agree with, more light is not always better.

I was asking you about the specs of the Legacy's projector, not the HID bulb. I looked on SUVLights but wasn't able to find it. Did I not look good enough?

So we've established that real life performance is subjective (too bad not enough people realize this) AND opie specifically stated he wants to avoid HIDs, I am left wondering why you and other HID-propoments interjected. With "facts", nevertheless, trying to somehow refute the subjective matter of the performance of HID in a halogen projector ... If HIDs work great for you, that's awesome, feel free to not defend your choice. Can you not handle the fact that not everyone likes them?

Trust me, if I were taking apart my headlights to fill the squirrel finders, I sure as s*** would just swap the projectors with a proper retrofit. I'm not about cheap, I'm about proper.

BTW, MiniSTI's thread regarding filling the squirrel finders is dated March 2008. My HID kits went in an out in early 2007. If this information was readily and widely available at that time, then I apologize and admit that my research was lacking. However, I am pretty convinced I covered all the HID topics here and elsewhere on the internet prior to making the jump because I wanted to be well-informed and it came short.

No it's not, and this coming from someone that drives on dark roads, just like I used to, frankly I find it surprising.

I suppose I could take a few photos for you, but I'm not convinced that you're open to the idea of being wrong.

You do have one thing right though; that is, it's not worth my time to argue this.

So, do you have the specs of the OEM projector as far as focal point and other technical aspects?

Optics are designed around bulbs and their specs. So the focal point spec of an H7 bulb is what the OEM H7 projector is based around.

You're on a crusade against HID kits here, claiming you've done it yourself, but you missed the most important part of the install, which is filling the squirrel finders, I don't care HOW carefully you sealed the dust cap, you skipped the part that affects glare. Yes, I know you didn't know about it at the time, but that really doesn't change things.

Another question: Did you modify the base flange to rotate the bulb to get rid of the return wire shadow? Not doing so creates a huge dark spot in the beam pattern. This is the second most important part of the install, after the squirrel finders.

Not worth the time to take out the real camera, so I shot this with my iphone. Time is 4pm when I got off work. Yes, it's dark here by then.

Despite the low quality, I adjusted the photo you so you can see where the brightest part of the beam is...dead center, right at the cutoff, and it dims as you descend into the foreground, keeping the foreground from overpowering your eyes and keeping your eyes focused at the cutoff where it hits the ground many meters ahead.

Setup is DDM 55W 5000K in OEM projector with filled squirrel finders and rotated return wire. There is some light scatter above the cutoff, but that is due to my ultra haggard external headlamp lens, and it doesn't bother oncoming traffic. I don't get flashed, period.

Interesting note, I was flashed quite often in my S2000 with its OEM HIDs properly aimed. Why? Stiff suspension and clear projector lens causes a very noticeable flicker.

IMG_0403.thumb.JPG.eafc8aa72cd4277034febd1af85e2a38.JPG

You're on a crusade against HID kits here

I'm on a "crusade" against those that preach it as the end all be all.

claiming you've done it yourself

"Claiming"? Don't be an ass, are you saying I'm making things up? I sold my kit to a member here, Tommypenguin.

but you missed the most important part of the install, which is filling the squirrel finders

The squirrel finders, as you pointed out previously, is regarding glare for oncoming traffic.

Another question: Did you modify the base flange to rotate the bulb to get rid of the return wire shadow?

Yes

Despite the low quality, I adjusted the photo you so you can see where the brightest part of the beam is...dead center, right at the cutoff, and it dims as you descend into the foreground, keeping the foreground from overpowering your eyes and keeping your eyes focused at the cutoff where it hits the ground many meters ahead.

:lol:

Up and personal to the garage door of course it will make it seem like the brightest part is right up at the cutoff line, but a shot with the beam spread on the road will tell a different story. Also, quite noticeable drop in lighting in between the bulbs. It just once again underlines the problem with spread. I am also noting the noticeable dimness on the right side lateral.

I can take a picture of my halogens and if I was really engaging in a crusade, would easily alter the photo without you even being able to tell. I could also take such a picture as to make it appear brighter than your shot.

Optics are designed around the bulb and their specs

You are right, projectors are designed around the bulb, what you are missing is the fact that the optics are also designed around the light pattern that the lightsource creates. Having a similar focal point doesn't tell the whole story. So basically you don't have the projector specs, you just made a guess at how you think it should work.

Again, you are out to show it works "good enough". It did not for me, nor for the op. I guess we have higher standards. I'll say it again, you don't have to defend your choice. I'm glad it's working out for you.

I dont know if we have come to an agreement on what the best yellow foglight is. I am still looking for a yellow 9006 foglight to replace the polarg bulbs that came in my car. I dont want a set of Nokya's that will blow in a few months but i dont want to spend $70 on a set of PIAA's either.

Seeing that I want a bulb replacement and not HID's what is the longest lasting yellow bulb?

I dont "need" a yellow bulb I just like the way it looks with my 6k HID headlights. If there is not a good yellow bulb replacement what is the best and most white bulb replacement?

Jay

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

Up and personal to the garage door of course it will make it seem like the brightest part is right up at the cutoff line, but a shot with the beam spread on the road will tell a different story.

I'm not taking sides on this HID vs H7 in projectors debate you two are having, but I'm going to point out right now that he's right regarding the hot spot.

If the brightest part is shown to be right below the cutoff, the brightest part on the road will also be farther down the road in the distance, NOT in the foreground. There really is no way physically (and I mean that in the sense of actual physics) for the brightest spot to be elsewhere once the light is thrown down the road. The higher the light is thrown, the farther it will travel before hitting the road, assuming you have your lights aimed properly at a slight downward angle.

In theory, yes. But somehow these damn things still managed to light the road up hella bright right in front of the damn car and did not spread evenly that same amount of brightness (or, is it glare? ;) ) far up ahead. I know, I know, I must have done something wrong with my install :rolleyes:

LE: to illustrate what I have experienced, if you look at the first picture in this post, the bright spot and brightest in the beam pattern was roughtly where you are seeing the foglights being the brightest down on the ground. So roughly a few feet immediately in front of the car.

I dont "need" a yellow bulb I just like the way it looks with my 6k HID headlights. If there is not a good yellow bulb replacement what is the best and most white bulb replacement? Jay

Philips Xtreme Power are the brightest, whitest bulbs in a 9006 base.

Philips Xtreme Power are the brightest, whitest bulbs in a 9006 base.

Awesome I will get a set I think they are like $30 or so shipped on eBay. I hope they last a. While it seems everytime I put in a yellow fog lamp bulb they don't last long. The looniest lasting H3 builds I had in my WRX were the selective yellow ones from Daniel sterns company candle power Inc but they don't have that option in a 9006.

I will pick up a set of those Phillips ones candle power has them but they are cheaper on eBay so they must be a good bulb.

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

Put a 9012 HIR bulb in instead of a 9006. From a very quick googling, people say the HIR bulb should last a lot longer and also be brighter. 9012 HIR bulb is about 1875 lumens. Stock 9006 is 1000, and the Philips is 1200. This is a no brainer.

Put a 9012 HIR bulb in instead of a 9006. From a very quick googling, people say the HIR bulb should last a lot longer and also be brighter. 9012 HIR bulb is about 1875 lumens. Stock 9006 is 1000, and the Philips is 1200. This is a no brainer.

Completely forgot about the HIR. Note that there is some filing involved, a very simple process. You can find the instructions on candlepower.com as well as other places.

http://store.candlepower.com/ph3rdge90h.html

$32 per bulb. A bit spendy.

This is what I was told to do by Kenny @ candle power. Are they (HIR) bulbs only sold by candlepower or can I find them cheaper on eBay? Is the HiR that much brighter than the 9006 and will it last that much longer?

Edit. Found them on amazon for $27.23 shipped each so $20 more than the philips extreme bulbs. Are the HIR's that much better?

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

I dont know if we have come to an agreement on what the best yellow foglight is. I am still looking for a yellow 9006 foglight to replace the polarg bulbs that came in my car. I dont want a set of Nokya's that will blow in a few months but i dont want to spend $70 on a set of PIAA's either.

Seeing that I want a bulb replacement and not HID's what is the longest lasting yellow bulb?

I dont "need" a yellow bulb I just like the way it looks with my 6k HID headlights. If there is not a good yellow bulb replacement what is the best and most white bulb replacement?

Jay

not to stoke the argument, but cost/longevity was absolutely the main factor for my original interest in hid :lol:. this car eats bulbs like no other...

however, for gents insistent on halogen (which i respect), and concerned with price v. longevity: my piaa ions had unilaterally outlasted the cornucopia of tinted halogens at my wayside.

This is what I was told to do by Kenny @ candle power. Are they (HIR) bulbs only sold by candlepower or can I find them cheaper on eBay? Is the HiR that much brighter than the 9006 and will it last that much longer?

Edit. Found them on amazon for $27.23 shipped each so $20 more than the philips extreme bulbs. Are the HIR's that much better?

They're suppoooooosed to last a LOT longer and be almost 2x as bright as a normal bulb. It's up to you whether or not you want to fork over the dough.

I'm on a "crusade" against those that preach it as the end all be all.

"Claiming"? Don't be an ass, are you saying I'm making things up? I sold my kit to a member here, Tommypenguin.

The squirrel finders, as you pointed out previously, is regarding glare for oncoming traffic.

Yes

First, the be all end all would be quad TL bixenons with DL50s and clear lens. A plug and play kit is nowhere near that quality and nowhere near that price for that matter. But it sure is superior to a pair of piddly halogens that cost the same...you can quote your Daniel Stern and ask for specs all you want.

Second, I'm not being an ass. Being an ass would be pointing out how much you think HID kits suck, yet having the nerve to sell your old one to another member here. Talk about integrity, eh? On second thought, yeah, I am being an ass. ;)

Third, yes, the squirrel finders are the glare causers, but your crusade against HID kits is largely based on the assumption that the kit itself causes glare. I'm glad you've come around and can admit that the kit itself has nothing to do with glare, the squirrel finders do.

Finally, I'm glad an impartial 3rd party here stepped up to point out the obvious, that the hotspot is dead center under the cutoff, and that wouldn't change regardless of distance. And are you seriously going on about the lack of light in the middle, even right after you've acknowledged that the car is parked "up close and personal" to a wall? As iNVAR said about actual physics, the closer you are to a wall, the less the beam will spread. My beam pattern is wider than the 6 feet shown on the garage door that is 3 feet away...:lol::lol:

I think I'm done here. If other readers here want to agree with the guy who doesn't understand the basic principle that light spreads from a point source like waves, then so be it. Cheers.

They're suppoooooosed to last a LOT longer and be almost 2x as bright as a normal bulb. It's up to you whether or not you want to fork over the dough.

I've been on the same pair of 9011s for I think...5 years now? In that time I've gone through many low beam halogens.

I use my highs (9011) all the time too, not to mention the frequent on-off cycles.

I like them.

Completely forgot about the HIR. Note that there is some filing involved, a very simple process. You can find the instructions on candlepower.com as well as other places.

http://store.candlepower.com/ph3rdge90h.html

$32 per bulb. A bit spendy.

I've been on the same pair of 9011s for I think...5 years now? In that time I've gone through many low beam halogens.

I use my highs (9011) all the time too, not to mention the frequent on-off cycles.

I like them.

after doing a little reading on candlepower and other lighting forums I am DEF gonna get the 9012 to replace my 9006 bulbs for my fogs, They are rated almost twice as bright and last alot longer than the second best Philps Xtreme bulb in a 9006. On amazon they are $54.50 shipped which is pretty damn good considering.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Philips-HIR2-9012-Standard-Headlight/dp/B00480N18G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1295532725&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Philips HIR2 9012 Standard Headlight Bulb, Pack of 1: Automotive[/ame]

I also have read all I need to do is sand down one of the plastic tabs to make the bulb fit.

In the end the Xtreme bulbs would be $20 less however if these last longer and put out more lumens/light what the hell.

Thank you Guys

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

Second, I'm not being an ass. Being an ass would be pointing out how much you think HID kits suck, yet having the nerve to sell your old one to another member here. Talk about integrity, eh? On second thought, yeah, I am being an ass.

That right there just goes to show that for whatever reason you are too dense to have understood my argument. What part of "it's a personal choice and objective decision" don't you understand? If the guy loves them, and you love your HIDs, that is your position. I did not like them. The squirrel finders are NOT the sole source of the glare, it's a matter of optics. Even the quality of the HIDs themselves is questionable most coming from no-name mass-produced Chinese factories (you get what you pay for). Plenty cases where the color temperature does not match the one quoted by the specs or the two bulbs settling into a different one. If things are dandy and peachy, I wonder why some folks still opt to go with retrofits. Maybe they've got too much money or are pretentious bastards.

The dim spot in between the bulbs translates down on the pavement soon as you back the car up. If there was light spread there, it would have overlapped on the garage door and looked like an even white spread below the focal point.

But you're right, this argument is over and your interjection into this thread was completely and utterly useless. You have HIDs, opie specifically stated he didn't want HIDs. Have a nice day.

so I had the oppertunity to see HID's with the squirrel finders filled in in person on someone else LGT,

All I can say is now I wont ever consider HID's in our projectors ever, thanks and good bye.

Archived