LegacyGT.com

08 Volkwagen GTI VS Subaru WRX/Legacy GT

I am having this long debate with someone I know. He claims the VW GTI is FAR BETTER then any Subaru made.

He say's it is Luxurious, Fast, Sporty.

It's quick and Sporty yeah. Luxurious? No. He is trying to tell me Ricers drive AWD. And that FWD is far superior. It somewhat angers me. Not sure why.

I am here to see what other people think about these 2 cars. I feel they are in a different league.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He sounds like a VW fanboi that won't change his mind no matter which facts you give him. Ignore his hatorade.

Other than that, they are in different leagues, LGT is more like a Passat.

GTI is in the same group as a WRX/STI.

In both comparisons, I'll take the subie ; )

He is all about stance as well. But yet has his car tuned at 20 PSI on the stock turbo making 220WHP. He told me he likes VW's because they don't try to prove a point.

Hypocrite. I like cars and am not biased towards Subaru. But sometimes the facts don't lie.

He say's it is Luxurious

Something that cannot be quntified by anything other than the defination of NOT luxurious. Opinion based.

Fast

Well thats just stupid - they are not fast. Neither are LGT.

Sporty.

2 door hatch? Well, sporty in a utilitarian way. DSM eclipse its not.

Ricers drive AWD.

Another indication of his stupidity - SOCCER MOMS DRIVE AWD.

And that FWD is far superior.

Superior to NO wheel drive.

It somewhat angers me. Not sure why.

Because he is mostly wrong and deliberately pushing your buttons?

I am here to see what other people think about these 2 cars. I feel they are in a different league.

Not in a different league.

GTI vs Impreza is a more appropriate comparison anyway.:p (Tell him that one :lol:)

As far as mods go, any time you're going past stock you're pissing away incrementally more and more power to wheelspin than you're actually putting down on the pavement.

FWD isn't necessarily bad, but with front suspension being struts it's absolutely atrocious.

GTI is basically something with a bit more oomph than a base model, base engine car. It successfully convinces people that it's a rocket ship and more power to VW for being able to do so.

The GTI is a great car for a sporty daily driver, and in stock form I'm sure it outhandles a stock LGT... Straight line, it's LGT all the way.

The GTI is a "hot hatch" while the LGT is a more grown up car.

Once you start modding them both, the GTI's FWD will quickly become a hinderance in comparison to the LGT's AWD.

Volkswagen gti, That's a car 16 year old high school student drive thinking there all cool with the sunroof open and radio blasting. They or Your buddy think's all the other cars including the lgt are ugly and slow because they got a 2 door hatchback HIGH SCHOOL RACE CAR!!!!!! 0-60 IN 7 SECS. Nothing you say or tell him or her will get in there head! Its like arguing with a 16 year old, They always win

He is all about stance as well. But yet has his car tuned at 20 PSI on the stock turbo making 220WHP. He told me he likes VW's because they don't try to prove a point.//
The reality is that most of the people who buy VW's would be driving BMW's if they could afford them.

In the end, there's just no sense in arguing with the Eurotrash. Better to just smile and move on.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

An APR tuned GTI can be pretty quick. A stage 2 GTI and stage 2 LGT would be a close race in a straight line.

Well, if you look at SCCA classes, they are not close in the turns:lol:

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Not going to reitterate the obvious comments stated earlier, so I will briefly share from my experience of a car in the same class as the GTI. I test drove a 2004 R32 in 07 when I owned my 06 Cobalt SS/SC. I took down a couple of GTI's, RSX-S, and Civic's with the SS, as far as the same class goes. From a roll the SS didn't feel much slower than the R32 from my experience of both(a little dissappointed with the R's power; great car nonetheless).

FWD blow's versus AWD and RWD.

You need to upgrade your friends.
That's a little harsh. Just have mercy on their ignorance. They're proud of they're vehicles as well as we are.

I too have some friends who think they're stock cars are faster and better than mine. One has a 2010 Corolla S and the words out of his mouth was that he now owns a race car, no joke. He often likes to say he is rolling dirty too. I play along with it cuz it is humorous:rolleyes:

The reality is that most of the people who buy VW's would be driving BMW's if they could afford them.

In the end, there's just no sense in arguing with the Eurotrash. Better to just smile and move on.

There are many people on here that own subie's that dream of a 3 series too.

That being said R32s have psuedo awd (haldex) which is mainly fwd until wheel slip is detected. I gladly pass those cars all the time in my full time awd LGT in snow. Interior wise they are about the same unless you get a R32 which comes with Recaro's (as do Evo's and Sti's). A GTi is just an option package for a Golf anyways. The new Golf R that is supposed to come stateside as a '12 model uses the TT S's 265hp 2.0T. It will be interesting as to how much it's going to cost though.

Either way there's a reason why I have a LGT instead of VAG product. The price diffence didn't make sense to me when you get more value in the subie. Only slight exception would be for a TDi, but that kind of takes the performance aspect out of it.

Archived