LegacyGT.com

08 Volkwagen GTI VS Subaru WRX/Legacy GT

Nothing to really be proud of, mostly just a lot of dumb luck. I got into this industry kind of on a whim, and just found that I like it.

As for the locomotive engineer training program, well once my seniority allows I'll get in. I've put in on every class posted in my area but my seniority hasn't gotten me in yet. After I finally do get my card, I'll have some decisions to make about my future with the company and what it is I want to do. Run trains for 28 more years, or chase the corporate ladder in OP's management.

As for the patriot part, even though we frequently disagree on things, thanks. I don't think much of my service, and frankly do not feel that I was an outstanding example of a US Marine. I did my part, but can't say that I did it to my absolute full 100% potential at all times. That bothers me in retrospect, you know the "what could I have really done?" nagging question. I suppose everyone has them.

Go into management P. Anyone who can see their faults makes a great leader.:)

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Management probably has its advantages, but at least front line management is kind of like being a whipping boy. Your employees hate you because you can't keep all the shit from rolling down hill on them (and you have to operationally test and discipline them), and your boss is on your ass all the time to implement some really stupid shit that doesn't have anything to do with productivity so much as seemingly infuriating employees. To top it off you have all this responsibility buy very little authority sometimes.

Like I said it is not a decision I will make lightly.

I have always hated VW but the 2010+ GTI looks very nice. And I do like the plaid seats. But I also hate FWD...

However a few months ago I considered getting a mid 90's Passat Wagon VR6 5spd...but that was cuz I was think it would look nice slammed on some low offset 16x8+

Management probably has its advantages, but at least front line management is kind of like being a whipping boy. Your employees hate you because you can't keep all the shit from rolling down hill on them (and you have to operationally test and discipline them), and your boss is on your ass all the time to implement some really stupid shit that doesn't have anything to do with productivity so much as seemingly infuriating employees. To top it off you have all this responsibility buy very little authority sometimes.

Sounds like you don't really need to go into management. A world full of stress...

453747.png

As for the patriot part, even though we frequently disagree on things, thanks. I don't think much of my service, and frankly do not feel that I was an outstanding example of a US Marine. I did my part, but can't say that I did it to my absolute full 100% potential at all times. That bothers me in retrospect, you know the "what could I have really done?" nagging question. I suppose everyone has them.

Can you find me a marine that can look back and say "yep, I did it all at 110% and would not change a thing about it". Having high standards for yourself means never being complacent. I don't know you personally but I'm pretty sure you don't have anything to worry about.

Well you are right about first line management. But then why stop there?? Second, third , fourth are there in the future if you are good at it.

The nice thing about management skills is that they are transferable. Once you have ,made your bones, so to speak, you are no longer tied to a specific function in a company, or for that matter in the market place.

So while a company can easily out source "labor" functions, it is difficult to transfer management functions.

This is one of the reasons why unemployment is so high. You can replace staff/line functions with lower cost alternatives (out source, cheap labor, union busting)

What you can't replace is the manager (conductor:lol:) who ensures that the P&L is positive.

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Yeah I realize there are other opportunities in management..... but getting past the front line jobs and putting up with them for a few years is not something I would look forward to. Also I wouldn't look forward to the constant relocation in order to advance.

Archived