LegacyGT.com

all season tires

Hé, don't kill the messenger of helpfull news 'Jagcars26' (Must be the age) ;)

Everybody can choose what he wants of course, but please do not shove the facts under the carpet.

All European tyretests I've read (including German and all Scandinavian coutries) advise not to go for all season tyres.

The outcome in all tests is the same, they score below average in all seasons.

They mention it is just a marketing thing.

Furthermore, in several European countries it's against the law to drive anything else but snowtyres during wintertime.

But above all reasoning:

When you enjoy driving on the limit, you simply cannot do without the right tyre.

If your a daily driver, an all-season will do fine.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As mentioned above: I'm very happy with Michelin Pilot All Season (I don't have the + because they weren't around when I bought these, but that's most likely what I'll get this time around). They do cost around $160/tire though.

They aren't cheap, but apparently the + vastly outperforms the non-plus versions in both treadwear and grip.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGfvyPtYR0Y]YouTube - Tire Rack Tire Test - All-Season vs. Winter Tires[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH0tPRXKdSI]YouTube - Tire Test - Winter Snow vs All-Season vs Summer Tires on Ice[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXuhfwY74b8]YouTube - Ultimate Driveway Tire Test[/ame]

I'm looking for some good feedback on all weather tires.I currently have reached the end of the line on. the shit stock Yokohama. my 2008 has 205/50/17 tires .any feedback to sway my decision would be greatly appreciated.

Without knowing where you live, that is a tall order.

to the OP.

I like my Pilot Sport A/S Plus. Stick better than stock in dry and wet by far. Only had them in the snow once and they worked good enough for me (keep the speed below 20mph around corners...or stay on the gas and have some fun).

I did hit a patch of black ice the other day that put the car sideways going ~40mph on a dark curvey road. Once the black ice was gone though the tires regained whatever traction they could and I somehow managed to keep the car on the road.

Put these on my wife's car, and after the first snow she wouldn't drive it.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Why does every thread about All-Seasons involve some dipshit ranting about how bad they are?

Not everyone gets a million inches of snow every year and not everyone even goes driving in bad weather.

Anyways, I've had Fuzion HRis and currently have Bridgestone RE960AS and Conti DWS.

The Fuzions are horrid in snow but I made due with good driving and the AWD. They don't have much dry grip either.

I've never driven the 960ASs in the snow so I can't comment there, but I feel they are just a step under some summer tires in dry performance.

I just got the DWS not too long ago and they are a nice tire. They are very comfortable to drive on, but I would not call them a performance tire, at least not in 225/45/17. I've never driven on these tires in snow (and who knows when that will happen in South Jersey), but I can tell you they are pretty good in the rain.

Great choice getting the DWS tire. After the tire were broken in they drove great! I got them because I wanted the best all season tire for harsh weather i.e. ice, rain, snow, which we get plenty of here in Nebraska. They are amazingly quiet on pavement and offers a smooth, supple ride quality. They handle adequately in dry weather, but this car is my DD, not a race car, and I do not push it to it's maximum handling limit very often. The DWS tire will make short work of any wet weather. Great tread life too! In my opinion these tires are a smart, safe investment if you want an all season tire that won't get you stuck, or put you in a dangerous situation, as compared to the other all seasons out there.

My Yokohama Avid Envigor A/S's are incredible (215/45-R17). On a 1st gear roll on wet fresh blacktop Stg1 tuned I CANNOT SPIN them with 233WHP/251WTQ. On dry pavement the do not squeel or howl no matter how hard i push them. The only con is a little squishyness and tread squrm at the lateral traction threshhold, but still no noise! Awesome Tires

Rated #1 on tirerack in the High-Performance A/S category

$750 out the door at Tirediscounters.

i bought Goodyear Eagle GTs in 225/40r18 for my spec.b. They were sensibly priced, albeit a total pain in the *ss to mount due to stiff sidewalls. To be honest, I love them. I mainly bought them for the price, and seeing as how I live in NJ we dont get "awful" winters, so I dont see the need for a separate winter/summer set. I bought them from tire rack for $116.00 each. They perform very well in the snow, and very well in the dry and rain.

eagle gt's are a decent tire but are noisy and yes, hard to balance. my brother has them. i have kumho asx right now and i think its a pretty decent tire for the money. back when i got them, they were only $84/tire for 235/40/18 on tirerack; price has gone up a lot. they handle decent and i've beat them up pretty well; i've put 42k miles on them. i can probably put another ~5k on them but i think its time for new tires. with all these great reviews i'll probably get the DWS next.

I can't say anything bad about my stock Advans - a few weeks back I drove on a slippery icy mix in VT. Averaging about 20 MPH, while other people were sliding all over the road I was going fine, going up and down hills and around curves. I was entirely impressed with how the tires and the AWD performed over my FWD 99' Pontiac Grand AM.

If you say these tires aren't very good then I am really excited to try some better all-seasons or some dedicated winter tires .

Continental ExtremeContact DWS.

It's currently TireRack's #1 rated All-Season tire. I have them in the stock size of 205/50/17.

Zero complaints except for the soft sidewalls. It's an easy fix though, just bump up the tire pressure. I run them at 38 psi.

You mean 38F / 36 R correct? Hopefully, that's what you meant. Don't load your AWD unnecessarily by running 38 PSI at all four corners. That 2PSI TP bias is built into the system for a reason. It has everything to do with rotational differences which is a whole nuther topic, but for handling and longevity of your AWD system, and clutch/packs, diffs, etc., stay with the stock bias.

FWIW - I run the MPS ASes(in both 17" and 18" sizes) and have no issues whatsoever with soft sidewalls and they handle amazingly well in all but the deepest snow. Would not hesitate to take a set out on the track and put them through their paces. YMMV.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I have the ASX's also, good wet weather traction and good in light snow.

typically what I put on all my legacy's.... i had some rt615's on my gt and finally got those replaced but ended up putting on some cooper zeon zpts (b/c they were 100bux for 4 new tires :lol: )

I can't say anything bad about my stock Advans - a few weeks back I drove on a slippery icy mix in VT. Averaging about 20 MPH, while other people were sliding all over the road I was going fine, going up and down hills and around curves. I was entirely impressed with how the tires and the AWD performed over my FWD 99' Pontiac Grand AM.

If you say these tires aren't very good then I am really excited to try some better all-seasons or some dedicated winter tires .

my stock advans have been great too. surprisingly. I've been driving up here in Rochester in the lake effect since it started snowing. from as much as 3 inches unplowed to 3 inches of slush. I've been very careful as I've heard bad things about them, but so far, no complaints on getting around.

You mean 38F / 36 R correct? Hopefully, that's what you meant. Don't load your AWD unnecessarily by running 38 PSI at all four corners. That 2PSI TP bias is built into the system for a reason. It has everything to do with rotational differences which is a whole nuther topic, but for handling and longevity of your AWD system, and clutch/packs, diffs, etc., stay with the stock bias.

FWIW - I run the MPS ASes(in both 17" and 18" sizes) and have no issues whatsoever with soft sidewalls and they handle amazingly well in all but the deepest snow. Would not hesitate to take a set out on the track and put them through their paces. YMMV.

Yea, 38F/36R. Sorry for the confusion :redface:

I'm looking for some good feedback on all weather tires.I currently have reached the end of the line on. the shit stock Yokohama. my 2008 has 205/50/17 tires .any feedback to sway my decision would be greatly appreciated.

I'm in the same boat. Just curious, how many miles did you get out of 'em?

Edit: nevermind, just saw the 35,000 mile figure in your later post. I'm at 44,000 miles on the stock tires!

to chime in, we just got some heavy snowfall (heavy for us at least :lol:) in SE OH/W WV and I finally got to test out the DWS. Held great in the slush, stopping grip was fair for road conditions and I was very impressed with their traction.

I had Kuhmo AST's last two seasons and they did well for me, but did poorly in heavy/wet snow.

The DWS obviously performed better than any Snow Tire out there could do :lol:;)

Trying out a new A/S tire this winter, went with Kumho ASX's in a 225/40/18. For the price I'm sure it will be a fine tire and I've read good things about them in light snow conditions.

Today was my first experience with them on snowy roads and they did great. I was able to break them loose pretty easily, but I haven't had a chance to dial the right PSI in yet and they are only 100 miles old..

BRS25 - give them some time (and hopefully dry roads) to wear off the mold release. That stuff makes your tires like snot on a glass door knob until it wears off. Then the tires take over...
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived