LegacyGT.com

all season tires

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nokian WR G2 is good on all kinds of snow, mud, and gravel.

In other conditions the definitely have less grip than the topbrand summertyres, no matter how close it gets to the point water is solid.

Especially on wet they can get very tricky.

Almost lost my former car on a roundabout once when I took it as fast as I was used to on my summertyres.

Some testing after that near miss and it was clear to me, they do have a lot less grip on wet.

On wet in winter just adapt your drivingstyle does the job of course.

Snowtires in summer melt away like ice, they wear out pretty fast at higher temperatures.

And as said, they do not come close to the griplevels of topbrand sporty tires.

I run my nokian wr's year round. I used to swap them with the stockers for the winter but stopped doing that. They handle fine all year round. I got them for a good deal, but don't think I will be getting them again due to the price they are now. Will probably go with the dws myself.

but there is one thing all season tires are great for... and thats longevity. my michelin pilot sport a/s+ are phenomenol interms of wear and on my volvos that I don't bother taking out in the snow or demand exceptional grip, it's the best tire i can buy.

but i do agree, if your looking to take the subaru in the snow, invent in snow tires. I say invest because whether u know it or not... it'll save you in scenarios that would be disasterous in bad conditions with AS tires.

get a nice grippy summer tire for the nice days, falken azenis rt615s, kumho mx's, the new hankook rs3's. all great tires for cheap.

jack of all trades < master of one

if ur looking for great tread wear, get a good all season tire

winter months? get snow tires

max grip for those sprited drives in the summer? UHP tires or above.

I have Bridgestones and they are great but New England roads absolutely suck and my stock 17's are taking a beating. My question is does anyone know if I can fit a steel 16 inch wheel w a real snow tire for the winter? I had a 97 LGT prior to this and never had any tire issues. I assume the only issue would be clearance of the caliper

With extremely minor exceptions, 16" steel wheels will not fit your LGT due to the larger brakes (rotor and caliper) on the GT. You might get away with it on the 2.5i, but not on the LGT
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Compared to Holland we don't pay much tax. :)

I likewise hate the roads even though I've gotten a little more used to them. Frost heave does a lot of damage but I've seen construction sites do a road over multiple times in the same season due to a bad paving job. Maybe I'm just getting older and starting to notice this stuff, who knows.

At least my Nokian Hakka R's soak up the big bumps! I notice one heck of a difference when switching over to summer tires.

What about the Nokian WRG 2 as an all year round tire?

We run WR G2's year round on the wife's Impreza...great tire regardless of the season...not a racing tire, just a great all round tire.

I run them as a winter tire on the LGT....great in snow and slush...I go back to my Pirelli P Zero Neros for summer.

WR G2's....FTW:cool:

I'm using Goodyear Eagle GT's and they are sufficient for Utah winters. I even work early mornings and commute before the plows have a chance to get out on the roads. However, I have a coworker who has been unhappy with his Eagle GT's and is now having them replaced after 15k miles.

My wife has no complaints about her Sumitomo HTR's on her Eclipse. I'd imagine they'd perform even better with AWD. Also, for the price I think the Kumho ASX is a great choice. They worked well on my Honda.

I ran Toyo Proxes 4 M+S (not the summer version) for 4 summers - quite happy with those, no real complaints although they got louder near the end.

Then in '09 went to Nitto Neo Gens which were alright but much more sensitive to correct tire pressures. eg could run the Proxes4 at 40 psi (225/45/17) but the Neo Gens would be overinflated at that pressure and want to tip over at turn in - had to run them at max 34 psi front. The Neo Gens will only have a couple months left on them when I put them back on in the spring, close to the treadwear bars already (280 treadwear).

I've just ordered the Sumitomo HTR A/S P01's based on the Consumer Reports UHP A/S tire review last November. #2 with the #1 and #3 choices being quite a bit more expensive. We'll see how they are. I'm a little concerned that TireRack rated them not as good in the wet though... unsure of how much bias they have though.

Always go for the top range tires, cause it's the only real thing between my car and mother earth.

On the Impreza had Bridgestone Potenza's, Pirelly P Zero Nero's, and Goodyear Eagle F1. The Potenza where to firm in combination with sportsuspension, the Zero Nero where really perfect.

On the 3.0 Spec B I now have Goodyear Eagle Assymatric. They stick pretty good, but the sidewall had to be more firm to my opinion.

Think when they wear out, I go for P Zero Nero again.

ContiExtremeContact DWS ftw!

I'm not nearly as happy with my Kumho ASX's as my last set of ContiExtremes.

I just had my buddy put a set of ContoExtreme DWS on his S60 2.5T AWD and he couldn't be happier with them. We had them out in a terrible snow storm and they did just fine. I was actually surprised at how well they did, especially given the Haldex AWD system that Volvo uses.

Archived