LegacyGT.com

all season tires

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get to test out the Pilot Sports in the dusting of snow we got over the weekend. Should be fun.

We had the Kuhmo ASX on my wifes old Passat. They weren't a great tire for that car. They were terrible in every weather condition, and at the end of their life the interior of the tire began disintegrating. When the tires were pulled off the rim, there was about two-handfuls of shreaded rubber inside, and the shoulders were showing cords!

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Do what?

I'm running these:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+A%2FS+Plus

They handled the 1" of snow we got last night reasonably well.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Lol...Michelin Pilot Sport All Seasons (MPS ASes) versus MPS

Loved the MPSAS in the SoCal mountains in the winter time and the rain/dry the rest of the year. Like I said previously they handled all of the road conditions beautifully, even up to about 8" of heavy wet snow and powder snow on ice...

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

We had the Kuhmo ASX on my wifes old Passat. They weren't a great tire for that car. They were terrible in every weather condition, and at the end of their life the interior of the tire began disintegrating. When the tires were pulled off the rim, there was about two-handfuls of shreaded rubber inside, and the shoulders were showing cords!

Well I hope that's not my experience, but I'll report back with some miles.. They did fine in heavy rain last week, felt very stable/predictable.

35F/33R - stock pressures. Just check them more often during the winter because you will see a decrease in pressure faster due to the cold/warm/cold effects of the winter weather. You want to make sure that your tires cut down through the snow instead of "floating" on top, which decreasing pressures would tend to dial-in.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Had RE960AS in 225/50/17 on my last subie and a set of 225/45/17 on the LGT. Decided to try the DWS this go round (225/45). RE960s seem much more responsive in the dry, though the DWS is more quiet and maybe a bit better in the rain. Have yet to try to DWS in the snow, expecting them to be quite a bit better than the RE960AS.

Put these on my wife's car, and after the first snow she wouldn't drive it.

Any reason why she wouldn't?

Yeah right, ask Santa, he will agree.

I rest my case. ;)

I was comparing my tires to the conditions that i've driven them in. these tires have only seen snow twice and they handle it great for a DD. The only time I got them to slip from a stop was then I was on 60% snow, 30% ice, and 10% clear road on a ~35 degree incline. The tires spun just a bit but the car still got going right away.

that being said, I'm sure a dedicated snow tire would have done better.

If you drive responsibly in the snow you should have no problems with really any tire you have on your car (aside from summer tires). I'm sure anyone could have snow tires on their cars and lose control of the vehicle because they were simple going too fast for the conditions and blame the tire instead of their stupidity.

35F/33R - stock pressures. Just check them more often during the winter because you will see a decrease in pressure faster due to the cold/warm/cold effects of the winter weather. You want to make sure that your tires cut down through the snow instead of "floating" on top, which decreasing pressures would tend to dial-in.

Yes + here.. you need to increase your tire pressures for the cold weather. Not only are they going to go "flat" naturally... but your car handles better with "narrower" tires anyways. Squishy flat wide tires are just going to "float" more. Plus you'll wear the outside edges more.

I hate my current tires (nitto neo gen) They handle pretty good actually for the weather, but they have soft soft sidewalls. They look under inflated all the time. I run 40psi pressures most of the time, and even with this 10F weather it looks like they are going flat... eesh! For once I'm hoping that my tires start to wear faster so I can go buy myself another set of tires :)

Outlawed? How can they make you choose to buy 2 sets of tires? Ridiculous.. might as well say only snowmobiles allowed. :)

The only places that I went that actually "require" things was a highway in Canada way back in the day that said chains only.. if you didn't have 'em you could rent them and return them when you get out of the pass...

Mine looked alright with 30,915 miles on them. But a giant nail through the sidewall forced me to replace all of them.

• 2 weeks later...
A slow leak in my right rear tire finally forced me to stop procrastinating on replacing my OEM tires! I can't complain about getting 45,500 miles out of the stock tires though. Just ordered a set of Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires...

so after starting this thread and a monster snowfall in nyc area this past week i felt i should update you all on the conti-dws.......amazing tires.........the car just kept on pushing through. i couldnt be happier with the decision of tire.

federal 595, i drove these in the snow last week no problems at all, and a great dry and wet tire as well.

Please don't drive near me, or my family. I hope you're not really using the Federal 595 tires in the winter.

The Federal 595 is marketed by them as a "competition drift tire." Why do you have these on in snow?

Archived