LegacyGT.com

Gas mileage.. I feel too low.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Mega Users

That is what I was seeing as well. Upping the tire pressure to 38/36 helped. They were at 32/30 when I bought the car. Cleaning the maf sensor helped a bit more. Now I get a solid 18 with mixed driving and 25 all highway.

It's a total of maybe 20 minutes of work if you take your time and it got from 15/18 to 18/25.

I just got an '05 LGT and have had it for about 3 weeks... I've read through a ton of gas mileage threads; I'm by no means expecting 25 MPG all of the time, but if I drive the car any harder than a grandma does, my MPG drops to 15 or less so fast. The best I got so far was 21 on the highway using cruise control at 70 MPH.

I know i'm going to get responses like "you gotta pay to play", but I really dont get why my MPG drops so quickly anytime I do anything over 3,000 RPM. I feel like my '96 Trans Am gets significantly better mileage than this 4 cyclinder!!! Dont get me wrong, I love my car, but i'm having an extremely hard time enjoying it when anytime I actually hit the gas, I get sub 15 MPG numbers. Is there something wrong, or are these cars really just that finicky with how much you hit the gas?

It seems like a lot of people are using the on board computer to calculated their mileage. I've found this to be very inaccurate, usually telling me I have better mileage then I am actually getting. I believe the computer uses the injectors pulse width to calculate the mileage it displays.

Just remember winter weather and winter gas is going to significantly hurt your mileage. During the summer months I was closer to 30mpg. While at the current moment I'm averaging about 25mpg.

I keep my tires inflated around 34/33psi. I get even tire wear at this pressure and sufficient gas mileage. My door jamb states 33F/32R. Strange to see the LGT calls for a different pressure then the 2.5 NA.

Keeping your air filter clean as well as cleaning your maf sensor every so often will definitely help. They sell maf sensor cleaner at most auto parts stores.

Here is my fuelly page. :)

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/tygerr/legacy

Most of the time i've been using 93....Not all stations sell it. I just put a brand new AVO air filter in, and i'm planning on cleaning my MAF sensor ASAP. I just feel like there is something wrong (almost hopeful there is). I really have to try to even get high teens....

• I Donated
I just got an '05 LGT and have had it for about 3 weeks... I've read through a ton of gas mileage threads; I'm by no means expecting 25 MPG all of the time, but if I drive the car any harder than a grandma does, my MPG drops to 15 or less so fast. The best I got so far was 21 on the highway using cruise control at 70 MPH.

I know i'm going to get responses like "you gotta pay to play", but I really dont get why my MPG drops so quickly anytime I do anything over 3,000 RPM. I feel like my '96 Trans Am gets significantly better mileage than this 4 cyclinder!!! Dont get me wrong, I love my car, but i'm having an extremely hard time enjoying it when anytime I actually hit the gas, I get sub 15 MPG numbers. Is there something wrong, or are these cars really just that finicky with how much you hit the gas?

Above 3000 rpm = in boost. Boost kills fuel economy. I'm betting the reason your Trans Am gets decent mileage is it has a low axle ratio.

I'm going to have my father blow up the tires tomorrow. 38 rear 36 front or vice versa?

Vice versa.

As for V8 and mpg, my 4400lb Mercury Marauder(615 lbs was the damn 4.6 4V romeo!) barely hit 2400 rpms @ 80MPH on the freeway. So long as I didn't do 4.10 gears I was barely sipping the fuel. In the city stop and go, it molested that 93 octane.

My Trans Am currently has 3.42s in it, and the crazily overdriven 6th gear definitly helps on the highway. I just am speechless that im reading 15 or less...Anytime i'm not paying attention and even begin to hit boost, my fuel economy rockets downward...

Well, just got my tire pressure to 37 front, 35 rear and going from there. I also added my Perrin short ram back on because long story short, at the time I posted this thread, it was on and I was reading 13.5. When I took it off, I dropped to ~10, so it's staying on.

I almost want to disable the MPG readout....I cant stop looking at it and its making my car unenjoyable!

If you figure out how, let me know. I suffer the same trauma haha.

I get 24.6mpg on the highway by the way, Instanced. ;)

haha thats good!

when I try to be fuel efficient, i once got it to 30mpg for the round trip... ONCE... and I was going pretty slow the whole way there and back... just to see how high i could get it... if I maintained that EVERYTIME, i'd be bored out of my mind... i'm also in S drive 90% of the time (the other 10% is in Sport # :icon_twis).. if I put it in intellegent, i could probably get around the same... if not a tad higher because of my 6 spd and lighter control arms ;)

Archived