LegacyGT.com

Gas mileage.. I feel too low.

I know this is late, but how is your mileage Luchin? I just put some gas in the other day after driving 120 miles and having 1/8th of a tank left. How terrible is that? I'll answer.. TERRIBLE. The injectors are the last things they may be troubling me right now.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By the way, here's an interesting fact that I just realized I should mention.

We filled up and did about a 2 hour drive to Philadelphia for my hand doctor appointment. By the time we got home to fill back up again, the car read 24.6mpg. We calculated by hand that it was 24.4~ish. The computer is reading right and it got decent mpg considering we were going up and down Pennsylvania mountain highway roads.

So why can't it get good mpg in the city? The world may never know.

Per gallon of gas, I'd say 2.5i beats a GT on fun factor.

I had an impreza RS before the GT. I think I can say I had more fun in the RS.

As a DD, in traffic RS was faster, light to light. And anyplace other than open highways RS was more fun too. I do 50/50 mixed driving, and if you average the speed I'd say my average speed was also faster on the RS.

And while doing all that, RS got 23~25 mpg all day long.

GT gets 16~18 driving like a grandma , and If I decide to have fun 15 mpg.

I really do think an RS with konis would kill a GT on backroads.

Deadleave, I too had an RS before my GT. While I agree off the go the 2.5 had a little more pep (MT at least) and def got better mileage, you can't compare the two. IMO the RS didn't handle near as well as my GT and unless you are in stop and go, once you get into boost on the GT, that feeling is great. I will say I test drove a '05 WRX (2.0L) when shopping and felt the RS had more get up, and once I compared insurance costs, def wasn't worth it.

However I do miss filling up with 87 a lot less often :lol:

Back OT,

I let my car idle for 5-10 mins the other day while I cleared my sidewalk and my MPG dropped from 24.7 - 23.5 and has hardly budged back up.... that's with 6k mi on the trip. So I would def say even the slightest bit of idling will KILL you MPG.

I don't let it idle more than 2 mins (enough to clean windshield/car) normally.

vr4Legacy:

24.7 mpg How you do that ?

Yeah Idle kills the car, this morning, 19.2 after 3 minutes 18.6

One thing I have noticed about the mpg reading on trip computer is that I think the first few miles really set the pace for the tank of gas.

I reset "a" at every fill up, and if I drive highway the first 100 miles, and gauge reads sat 22 mpg, even if I drive it bit harder after its only -2~3 impact. If first few miles were city and average reads something near 18 mpg after the first 100 miles, no matter how much I try to drive conservatively, it never gets better than +2 mpg.

That being said I track is on a phone app, and that tracks accurately, and seems like the average mpg on trip computer isn't the most accurate.

You guys should calculate real mpg vs trip computer and see if it matches up.

Some of you may cringe more at the actual mpg.

I reset my trip @ the entrance of the raceway and got better MPG reading racing than the trip there.

From Jersey to Cleveland I can get about 23-24 if I hold 76-80 mph. It falls when I slow down for trucks passing each other uphill.

I drive 40mi each way for work daily. 90% is on cruise at ~65.

I drive spirited on weekends when in the city, and occaisionally to/from work when some jacka$$ tries to show me up. (we of course then go to the closest closed course ;) )

But even when I was commuting 20mi to work, only 50% on Highway, I was getting 21-22mpg.

I have always kept consistent OCI, and try to use a bottle of injector cleaner every other oil change. Other than that I stay on top of Air Filter and 30/60k maintenence.

I did get Conti DWS (from Nittos) about the same time I started the new commute, so if that has any factor I really don't know.

I too use an app(GasBag) and it has me at 23.4 for the month and 22.9 since using it (approx 6 months). So I feel my guage is pretty accurate.

Those seem like decent numbers VR4.

I'm still concerned over my good highway numbers (~70mph, hilly highway, 24.6mpg) compared to my HORRIBLE (~30mph, somewhat hilly city driving, no more than 10.5mpg and usually closer to 9.5). What gives? I'm about to just sell the stupid car and get a WRX because this is rediculous (sp?) lol.

Again, local Subaru dealership is NO help. They say Subaru's get bad mpg in the winter. Yeah, that's why my brother's stage 3 WRX gets 18-20 city and my friend's stage 2 LGT gets 16-17 city. Thanks *name unsaid* Subaru dealership!

• I Donated

Blongo, you're getting normal-ish MPG on the highway, so that leads me to believe you just happen to have a really strenuous commute efficiency-wise. Short, hilly commutes will kill MPG. Heck, I've seen a drop since moving closer to work, although only by an MPG or two.

My thought is, there isn't really anything wrong with your car, but you need a non-turbo one and/or a non-automatic one in order to get better mileage in your situation.

^ agreed

I am very happy with my mileage. I do beleive the fact I have a MT helps, because I can control how long I keep it in boost, and when I want to accelerate I can upshift as soon as done to bring the revs back down and back out of boost. I also tend to engine brake alot and coast when slowing down. (I know, I know... my clutch will be toast :rolleyes:)

I suppose maybe you could try using sport shift to see if you can control some factors more.

Those seem like decent numbers VR4.

I'm still concerned over my good highway numbers (~70mph, hilly highway, 24.6mpg) compared to my HORRIBLE (~30mph, somewhat hilly city driving, no more than 10.5mpg and usually closer to 9.5). What gives? I'm about to just sell the stupid car and get a WRX because this is rediculous (sp?) lol.

Again, local Subaru dealership is NO help. They say Subaru's get bad mpg in the winter. Yeah, that's why my brother's stage 3 WRX gets 18-20 city and my friend's stage 2 LGT gets 16-17 city. Thanks *name unsaid* Subaru dealership!

I know this may sound silly, but try bumping your tire pressure.

I saw 2 mpg jump when I upped by 2 psi. 38f36r

Cant hurt to try and see if you see any improvement.

All I use is sport shift mode. I'm never in full automatic. You would think that would help, but no. :(

I'll try adding tire pressure. My dad tends to keep it low (he does all the work on my car). I think the last he mentioned to me was 32 front 30 back maybe?

• I Donated
I'll try adding tire pressure. My dad tends to keep it low (he does all the work on my car). I think the last he mentioned to me was 32 front 30 back maybe?

That's way under-inflated, and will contribute to poor mileage.

• I Donated
I respect your opinion and will try inflating them higher, but will it really add ~10mpg for my city driving?

Nope. But it might add 2 or 3 or even 5. You're going to have to resign yourself to the fact that a turbo/automatic car won't get good mileage on your commute. But there are ways to improve it from poor to mediocre.

Yeah the tire pressure will help you with MPG and not having to replace them as fast. The tire pressure you are running now is pretty much what I deflated my tires to when I am on the Drag Strip!

Over causes centers to go bald. Think mid life bald on top with hair on the sides. It will get you a really good MPG if you don't mind swapping out tires. Remember these cars require all 4 to be swapped @ once. Under will give you the issues on the edges, think Mohawk kinda sorta.

I'm at 38R/36F here. Before I ran 35/33, as the Manual and Inside the Drivers side door frame states. 32/30 is definitely underinflated by all definitions.

I only upped mine because I read a lot about softer sidewalls on the DWS, I too noticed it when I first got them so I went up a couple PSI. Noticed a little difference on handling. As mentioned I switched tires / changed daily driving habits and change PSI at same time, so I can't comment on improvement based on one of those factors.

GL

dang... this thread just made me sad. I'm averaging around 13mpg, local driving too. On the highway, I get excited if I see 18-19 from the normal 15-16's I see...I think I saw 21 once since I bought the car 2 months ago.

'05 lgt, 5EAT

42k miles

royal purple 5w30 in it now (10w40 was being used before I bought the car, I did my first oil change 300 miles ago)

Hardly any aggressive driving

what's wrong with my car.. :(

Archived