LegacyGT.com

Gas mileage.. I feel too low.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My daily drive is about 3 miles to school, then it sits about 8, then another 3 home all uphill. That's actually a good idea to do the instant mph while going uphill and reading off that.

The current oil I'm running is just regular oil (not sure if that has weight numbers?). We just put a new shortblock in about 2000 miles ago and now just breaking it in. My next oil change maybe we should use synthetic?

13mpg is definitely still horrible even if that is the true mileage.. :(

From what my father is saying, the injector numbers read correctly. I *think* he said the O2 sensors would be reading off or a CEL would come on if that was the problem. Maybe I have a leak but wouldn't I smell something or no?

Thank you to you guys trying to help. I appreciate it highly and we will figure this out!

a leak wouldn't necessarly produce a smell... just spend a couple hours looking at all your hoses and tracing them to the motor and to their external connections... I think it's something to do with your injectors. If I were you, I'd probably unplug my battery for a night... let the car relearn how to drive so to speak... maybe it learned how to be an arsehole driver and suck gas down quickly ;) heh first things first... Calculate your MPG and let us know.

EDIT:

I would use another round of regular oil... then switch to synthetic... personal opinion.

Thanks for the advice there, Instanced! Maybe I can convince my dad on Saturday to examine hoses that could be leaking. (he's the brains here of course haha)

Honestly with the life my car seems to have gone through, I wouldn't be suprised if an arsehole owned it before me.

I'll stick with regular then for one more change. Not sure what my father even planned. We're definitely going synthetic but I forget when he said. Probably going with Rotella T 5w-40 as it seems everyone on this site loves it!

Guest PeteAWD
If you do not run 91 or 93 octane in a 05 LGT, the mileage will get worse. This care craves premium high quality fuel only. Why I don't know. I drove it off the lot with 12 miles and it now has 135k. Also verify your alignment, tire pressure 35F/33R and tire type. BF Goodrich G-forces were horrible. Michelin generously replaced them for me with Pilot Sports. I'm getting 21 highway and I drive it aggressively.

If you do not run 91 or 93 octane in a 05 LGT, the mileage will get worse. This care craves premium high quality fuel only. Why I don't know. I drove it off the lot with 12 miles and it now has 135k. Also verify your alignment, tire pressure 35F/33R and tire type. BF Goodrich G-forces were horrible. Michelin generously replaced them for me with Pilot Sports. I'm getting 21 highway and I drive it aggressively.
He said 91. When the attendants in jersey put 87 in I could not burn it. I guess cause I went hipermilling like a prius owner til I was able to get to Ft Dix and pump my own damn gas! These cars want a minimum of 91 for safety reasons. Even the n/a cars that don't have turbos that run 91 need special care when 87 is used in emergency situations. The used car dealers were notorious for blowing up cars like the marauder cause they would put 87 in and try to redline it back to the lot. I don't lend my car cause most people needing to borrow it will run 87 and drive it like they seen me drive it.

My daily drive is about 3 miles to school, then it sits about 8, then another 3 home all uphill. That's actually a good idea to do the instant mph while going uphill and reading off that.

The current oil I'm running is just regular oil (not sure if that has weight numbers?). We just put a new shortblock in about 2000 miles ago and now just breaking it in. My next oil change maybe we should use synthetic?

In your case I would definitely say that it's the short drive combined with an oil that's thick when it's cold. An oil change to 0W30 or 0W40 would really be an alternative - not 5W30... And then check the consumption again.

3 miles is a very short distance and the car won't really even get warm, which explains the bad figures.

I did change from a 10W to a 5W a long time ago on a car I had and at that time my driving distance was about the same. I did experience a noticeable change in consumption.

453747.png

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably be changing to synthetic in two more oil changes..unless i'm broke by then with buying gas for this thing.

I do also use an auto-start each morning. I let it run before school for no more than 5 minutes (believe me, I pay attention..don't want to waste too much gas). Even before the auto-start though, I was never averaging more than 14mpg, so I can't blame it.

If you switch to the synthetic 0W30 right away and skip the 5 minute warmup (aside for the time it takes to remove any ice from the windows) you will certainly save a lot.

As long as you drive it soft and nice while it's cold there is no need for it to stand idling for five minutes. Many places around here has a law that says it's illegal to idle a car for more than a minute too.

If you really want to improve and if you have the possibility (electrical outlet at least at home) - install a block heater.

453747.png

want better ... take the arm off the waste gate.. let it flap open but 14 mpg in winter in a area full of hills.. about as good as it gets..

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

want better ... take the arm off the waste gate.. let it flap open but 14 mpg in winter in a area full of hills.. about as good as it gets..

You can always do the same by getting a AVO AWGA and extend the arm too far. Might have a slight pulsating metallic rattle and carbon deposits falling out of your exhaust if you have a high flow cat. Most scariest sound ever. The blown turbo popcorn sound didn't even sound as scary as the WG rattle.

Seriously, change to 0w30. You're not getting the car hot enough to run 5w40, especially in the winter. If you're not going to be taking it to the track or autocrossing it, you can safely run 0w30 synthetic all year round, and you'll get better milage than 5w30 or 5w40. At 2000 miles your engine is broken in enough to switch to synthetic at any time. Extended break-ins are a thing of the past.

When it's cold, the trans fluid can benefit from a short warm up, maybe a minute or so while you clear the windows, but more than that is a waste. My trans won't shift into 5th for at least a mile, depending on how cold it is, but a short warm up shortens that.

If you have a laptop, get a VAG-COM or used Tactrix cable and find a stage 1 tune for your car. You'll get a little more pep and slightly better milage, maybe up to 10%, since they usually don't run as rich as stock. You can log to verify, but the ones I've seen are pretty well tested and logged, and pretty conservative. Actually, when you do this and log, you can post the logs in the tuning forum, here and on other sites, and get some experienced opinions about your state of tune. If there's a problem, this might help pinpoint it.

or get a 2.5i and get 800 km / tank !

There is no way I could go to a 2.5i after the GT. LOL I almost cried how slow my car was when I blew the T vacuum line off on the freeway back in my 22 psi days. In all seriousness if you barely ever boost or drive fast a 2.5i with leather and sunroof is not a bad choice.

There is no way I could go to a 2.5i after the GT. LOL I almost cried how slow my car was when I blew the T vacuum line off on the freeway back in my 22 psi days. In all seriousness if you barely ever boost or drive fast a 2.5i with leather and sunroof is not a bad choice.

How do you think I feel after having driven a STi for two months and then coming back to an Outback with a 2.5i with 4EAT?

453747.png

Originally Posted by Merc6 http://legacygt.com/forums/skynetim/buttons/viewpost.gif

2.5i will be a lot faster than 2.5gt with no boost .. ! a 2.5I with an insane driver ..could show you a thing or two ! they are seriously pretty good! yes i know a 2.5gt can pull away, but still the fact that i drive it hard all day and look down to see the fuel gage hasn't moved yet its worth it for a everyday city car.

Originally Posted by Merc6 http://legacygt.com/forums/skynetim/buttons/viewpost.gif

2.5i will be a lot faster than 2.5gt with no boost .. ! a 2.5I with an insane driver ..could show you a thing or two ! they are seriously pretty good! yes i know a 2.5gt can pull away, but still the fact that i drive it hard all day and look down to see the fuel gage hasn't moved yet its worth it for a everyday city car.

Are you saying the 2.5i with 170hp and 170 torque is as fast as the 2.5 turbo? I'm confused. Did I purchase the wrong car because I could have purchased a 08 2.5i Legacy Wagon with 5MT.

Are you saying the 2.5i with 170hp and 170 torque is as fast as the 2.5 turbo? I'm confused. Did I purchase the wrong car because I could have purchased a 08 2.5i Legacy Wagon with 5MT.

2.5i faster than 2.5GT with vacuum leak.

Depends on the driver. If you autocross and the mini driver is a random guy who thinks accelerate the entire turn then you will have a chance.

try one ! or come to montreal and try mine!

fyi a guy got 180 whp out of a 2.5I witch is the same as a stock 2.5 gt !

try one ! or come to montreal and try mine!

fyi a guy got 180 whp out of a 2.5I witch is the same as a stock 2.5 gt !

All depends on the circumstance. For example the 2.3 mazda 6 manual was almost as fast as the 3.0 automatic and due to the 3.0 weight on the nose of the car the 2.5 was more nimble in AutoX. the V6 had to have straights to balance it out or they always had lower times. I test drove both cars and a WRX. None were exactly the same to me. Had the 2.5gt on a cobb eco tune was slow but it didn't feel like it lacked response or oomph.

Well I'm getting crap mileage as well. I just filled up today after having only driven 203 miles.

My car took 13.9 gal of fuel. If you do the math I'm getting 14mpg.

I drive in sport mode most of the time and I don't drive hard at all.

If I kick the shit out of my 09 TSX in city driving the worst mileage I ever see is 21 mpg and that's accelerating hard and shifting at ~4500, If I drive it like I've been driving my OB I get 26 mpg in the city.

I put some injector cleaner in this tank so we'll see what happens. I will use some break cleaner on the MAF sensor tomorrow.

Archived