LegacyGT.com

New info?

Apart from when the cars will start being delivered to dealers, does anyone have any idea when firm stats will be released?

Are we looking at that sort of lead time (august/sept) even to have the hard data?

I was hoping sometime in June for stats and info, since people have mentioned that 05 Legacy production is winding down. It would be nice for those of us still considering/working toward purchase of a Legacy, to know what is coming down the pike.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any word on telescoping steering? This is my biggest hold out - difficult for me to find comfortable driving positions in vehicles without it.

6'3" so leg room in Subaru's (along with most Japaneese cars) isn't the best. This is way off topic, but anyone else having problems with this/found a way around it.

Thanks once again Opie! You're a pretty good guesser. Want to take my organic chemistry midterm next friday and guess for me? :p

So it seems there is no information about the 6-spd tranny (which I will now rule out as not coming to the U.S.) or H.I.D.'s (which I don't really mind, since it's retrofittable). I am curious about two things, in that NASIOC thread, there is mention of the Spec. B being one color. Also, I wonder how the new Imprezas are going to look.

-ben

Crumblebum -

For the leg room issue, I failed to mention a bad knee from sports injuries. I need to stretch out the leg on long trips or my knee gets stiff and starts to ache. When the knee goes, my wife gets to drive.

I rented a legacy about four weeks ago for a one day sight-seeing trip in Yellowstone. We put on about 350 miles - I really liked the car. It would compliment my wife's Forester well. Only gripe was the leg problem - had to let my wife drive part of the time (which isn't nearly as fun).

If it wasn't for the bum knee, I probably would have purchased a Legacy already.

I've had a Mercedes that fit great but getting another one is out of the question because I really don't want to pay for the maintenance (I keep cars a long time) nor do I dig the flashiness.

Any thoughts?

Actually I have the same problem. My knees are fine but it does start hurting after a while. Mercedes does have much better leg space, I even have to adjust it closer to the steering wheel. Keep the Benz or trade it for one with AMG on it.

Issues I'd love to know about the '06 asap to help me make the decision:

color changes?

availibility date?

tilt/tele wheel?

HIDs?

6 Speed?

any other running mechanical changes to address problem areas (i.e. clutch stink)?

I swear, I'm going insane. Should I wait? Should I buy now for the good deals available? If the '06's aren't going to be out 'till late August, I want to buy now. But I'd kick myself if waiting a couple extra months would result in some combo of the above items being available.

Anyone here a pyschic?

just wait, i am in the same boat as you. if you wait you will know for sure. I dont like to make decisions without know the facts yet otherwise you always wonder. besides its not that long.

Y'all may want to check out this thread at nasioc.com: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=773606

Has some details!

That stuff is bigger speculation than goes on around here. (and that is a tall order. I am not immune, I admit, and here comes some more.)

Assuming that any of that has credibility...

A red interior, and one exterior color. Sounds "Blitzen" to me. Perhaps without the funky front and rear bumper covers, and who knows what 18" rim they will use. But if it is a red appearance package with some suspension parts, and 18" wheels, it sounds a whole lot like the JDM Blitzen. May have to get some JDM Blitzen badges for it, if that is the case. :D

With a Red interior it will likely be one of three exterior colors. San Remo or Solid Red. Obsidian Black. Silver or Chrystal Grey. Possibly white, but that would be a very bold and risky move. White cars sell to fleets really well, but a special edition car painted white might not go over tremendously well.

I was hoping for World Rally Blue, with a blue interior. I doubt they would put a red interior into a blue car. Red stitching on the STi steering wheel, etc, is one thing, but that much red in a blue car would just clash. It would look like a superman costume.

If it is going to be one color only, I hope they make it a good one. I would take Red or WR Blue, and I would consider Chrystal Grey over a red interior, which could be quite classy. But black would be a no go for me. Too hard to clean, and I could get a Black GT limited, and mod it, instead, and probably spend less cash.

I am really thirsty for Subaru to just announce this stuff already. If the Spec B is going to be something I want, I really need to start getting finances in order this summer, and decide if I can do without my truck, or if I can afford it without a trade in. And I would need to find a dealer that I can reasonably expect to get me one of them before they are sold out.

If the Spec B is not a go for me, then it might be nice to know that sooner, rather than later. I am still interested in some sort of Legacy turbo, whether it is a GT limited, or a Spec B, a someday future STi, whatever. A regular GT would allow me a little more lead time, financially.

It just dawned on me that (and I really hope) "one color" actually means a special color that only the Spec.B could order. i.e. WR Blue.

If I'm stuck with one color and no good reason red interior, will be one lost sale here. :(

I just do not get the marketing sense and business plan for product support cost of introducing a JDM Blitzen or Spec B, in year two of the new LegGTs product cycle. If a LegSti is not in the plan for 07 or 08, maybe a justification could be developed, but if we see an 06 special model above LegGT, I think it is a bad sign for future LegSti.

A JDM Blitz/Spec B would not even be a viable market demand test for a future Sti.

New LegGT "options" for sport suspension, wheels, audio, HIDs etc, all seem to make more sense than supporting a model between GT and Sti.

I doubt that the US spec B proposed would be a jdm model brought here.

I have a distinct feeling that it will be a USDM GT built with a "Sport Package." Red interior, special paint color, Bilstein suspension parts, 18" wheels, higher engine tune, whatever.

I'll bet it will have the USDM bumpers, lights, etc, and be built in Indiana in one batch (maybe one sedan and one wagon batch) Even if it has a specific bumper treatment, it will probably be of the longer variety.

It may or more likely may not be called the "Blitzen". I just said it sounded like a blitzen due to the red color, and basically being a standard GT with an appearance and premium equipment package, not much of a mechanically distinct model.

It seems to parallel the JDM Spec B or Blitzen, but with slightly less differentiation. (we aren't gonna get a McIntosh Stereo, i don't think)

The JDM Spec B seems to be an option package for the JDM GT, and the JDM Blitzen an even more specifically equiped B4 Spec B. There isn't all that much besides suspension tuning, wheel fitment, bumpers and interior options differentiating a 2.0GT -> GT Spec B -> Blitzen.

I have a feeling that the USDM Spec B will be a similar small differentiation from the 2.5 GT Limited. Very little cost input other than just a few unique parts, all of which do not require extra emissions or crash testing. (a urethane bumper cover doesn't matter that much, if the structure underneath doesn't change. Look at how many cars have unique facias for different trim levels...)

The thing about using the Spec B as a market demand test for a future STi model, well, i would agree with you partially. A sport package option doesn't adequately guage interest for a larger differentiation model. There are going to be people who won't be pleased with the Spec B, or won't know about it, but who would be attracted to a Legacy STi, especially with a more powerful powertrain.

However, I don't see it as a bad omen, especially if the US "Spec B" sells out. I think there are a few people, myself included, who REALLY LIKE the Legacy platform, but are looking for a little more focus, and a little less proletarian compromise. Bolder colors, better handling, and perhaps giving up a slight amount of "refinement" for it. Something that delivers a little more of the image and handling of a sport sedan that the drivetrain promises. A Spec B might deliver that, and I would think an STi would have it in spades.

Never underestimate what a company will do. SOA may try to use a Spec B model to guage interest in a sportier legacy, such as an STi. I think their data won't be accurate, but that may not stop them from trying it.

Iwannasportsedan, I think we are in violent agreement.

1. SpecB, if introduced in NorAm in 06, would only make sense as a LegGT with "sport package". Maybe a limited production run car.

2. The sport pack would offer slightly better handling and cosmetics. Maybe a unique chip or tuned flash.

3. This car would be a poor indicator of LegSti market potential.

Many people, like me would likely find this car meets there needs for sharper handling to match existing GT potential.

I will not be trading my LegGT in for SpecB anytime soon.

Would I pay $33k-$35kUSD for a Spec B?

I would pay $2,500 over the LegGT/Ltd price for upgraded suspension, BBS 18s w/great tires, minimal HP improvement, a killer audio system and some cosmetic changes.

For $3,000 to $3,500 over LegGT/Ltd price I would expect 6MT and significant HP increase.

For $4,000 to $5,000 over LegGT/Ltd price I expect a full Sti, with Brembos, upgraded seats, Turbo H6.

Yes I would spend that kind of money on a Subaru. My previous cars have been BMW, Benz, Lexus and I am not at all disappointed with my LegGT/Ltd. I love it. I love the no nonsense, ergonomic cockpit and mechanical feel of car. I would like to see interior materials upgraded for a full Sti version.

Would eye pay $33k-$35kUSD for a Spec B?

I would pay $2,500 over the LegGT/Ltd price for upgraded suspension, BBS 18s w/great tires, minimal HP improvement, a killer audio system and some cosmetic changes.

For $3,000 to $3,500 over LegGT/Ltd price I would expect 6MT and significant HP increase.

For $4,000 to $5,000 over LegGT/Ltd price I expect a full Sti, with Brembos, upgraded seats, Turbo H6.

Yes I would spend that kind of money on a Subaru. My previous cars have been BMW, Benz, Lexus and I am not at all disappointed with my LegGT/Ltd. I love it. I love the no nonsense, ergonomic cockpit and mechanical feel of car. I would like to see interior materials upgraded for a full Sti version.

I agree with you 100%, I would pay that kind of money for those type of improvements too. The question is, if you can buy an 05 GT Ltd for 25-26K or pay almost 10K more for 18" wheels, Bilsteins, 2 toned leather seats, some suspension tweaks and maybe brakes, would you. Not me. You can add all of that to your current GT and probably have money left over.

First, I did not know you could buy a 05 LegGT/Ltd for 25k-26k. I bought my LegGT/Ltd wagon for $30k on special SOA offer last November. I deliberately used a fixed added dollar amount for upgrades, in my previous post, to avoid wild card of base model purchase price.

I would not pay $10k over LegGT/Ltd price for a full Sti. If my understanding of LegGT/Ltd price of $31k is close, I would expect to pay $35k-36k for all the goodies in a full Sti. Again, I tried to indicate a specific delta price I would be willing to pay for specific upgrade packages.

Spot on MtnSub. We are in agreement, I guess I wasn't thinking it was getting too violent, just a mild-mannered discussion...

I also have to agree fully with your price descriptions. No way I would pay more than about 2k-2.5k for wheels and shocks from the dealer (especially considering you don't get the extra take-off parts to use or re-sell.)

I was at the subie dealer the other day, and a young buck salesman was trying to get me to buy a black and tan GT limited 5MT. Sticker was ~30,100.

They had a hang tag in it for less than 28k. That may not have been the case earlier in the year, but they were itchin' to sell it now. Too bad for him it was way off my color preference, and I don't have the cash at the moment.

I don't see an 06 Spec B getting a lot of 05 GT trade ins. Maybe a couple, but mostly it would attract new attention. In my case, finally get those of us still in the wings to accellerate pulling the trigger.

Wheels and Suspension only wouldn't cut it, but a special color and interior would get MY finances set in motion for the fall or winter.

For those who already own a Legacy, I would think mods would produce similar or perhaps more effects, and it wouldn't be worth the depreciation hit.

A future Legacy STi done correctly would get some LGT trades, though, I would think.

Seconded on the hope that SOA is popping in to read this.

Here's some advice: If the Spec B does well right off the bat, is done well, and priced appropriately, I think it should become a regular package option for the Legacy GT, as it is in Japan.

As all the other manufacturers have performance branding, and performance models of their cars (SRT, R, -V, etc) Subaru should get in on that game. They have a good player, it just needs to get suited up to play [/sports analogy]

Opie,

will the springs be showing up the same time as the 2006 cars or before? according to the rumors?

Stock is supposedly already in the distribution warehouses...part numbers to be released very shortly.

On the Spec-B I was told it was just wheels and suspension upgrades (no mention of brakes, HID's or 6-speed) and in the same sentence something about a Legacy that would only be availible in white with red leather interior...not sure if the source was still talking about the Spec-B or some other model...

...and those still wishing for an STi Legacy....don't hold your breath. Subaru doesn't want the Legacy to be aimed at the same customers as the WRX-STi. That's not to say there might not be higher performance models of the Legacy...I just doubt they would ever be called STi's.

Archived