LegacyGT.com

Spark Plug Install Instructions

So, I basically have only had the courage to start maintaining my own Legacy because of the instructional posts that many of you put here. It is really an awesome feeling to do the maintenance yourself, but now that things are tight, the money saved makes it even better. I really appreciate all of you who take the time to write these guides up with pics and videos.

And an extra thanks for the video about turning the coil pack 180 deg before removing/installing it. Wow. That really kept me from sticking my head in the microwave.

So, I have a '05 LGT with about 107,000 on it. For some reason, many moons ago, my brain linked the timing belt life with the spark plug life, so my car still had the OEM plugs in it. I am not sure what made me realize that that was not the case... (Just to be sure that they were OEM, I looked through all of my Subaru records to make sure that it had not been done by them, and it wasn't. I even called the Subaru Dealership in Sherman Oaks to make sure they had not done it without asking just to be nice. I can not even remember any of the four dealerships that I have delt with recommending it...)

Having the plugs in that long has not seemed to cause me much trouble except a louder idle and a slight drop in millage, but once I had the new ones in, I really, really felt the difference. The car was quieter, and my mileage on the first full tank of gas seems up by about 2 mpg. Also, the car seems more responsive and pulls better, but that could just be in my head.

Thanks to all of you, the job went smooth. It took about 2.5 hours total, in part because I put the air box back in before I grabbed the sensor wire from under it, so I had to take the air box out again to get the wire and plug it in properly. I have relatively small hands, so while I can't throw a great curve ball, it really helped for this job... Overall, I had the most trouble with the rear passenger's side plug removal and installation, but nothing that was not mentioned in other posts.

I took some pictures of the plugs. They look reasonably clean (I think), but the gaps were really big. The smallest one was about 0.052 and the largest one was more than 0.06, with the average around 0.058 or so based on the gapper that I had. The side/ground electrodes on were significantly worn.

Also, one thing that I did not expect was to find Champion plugs in the car as the OEM plug. I replaced them with the NGK OEM plugs that were listed by many folks on this thread.

For any of you that are less experienced with car maintenance, this job is def do-able in the garage! I would suggest that you read this thread a few times, and have it available while you do the job, and to MAKE SURE you have all the universal socket joints and other tools that are suggested.

Lastly, I had got the best price for the plugs at Advanced Auto Parts, but I had to order them and pick them up the next day.

Thanks again!

DSCN1987_small.thumb.jpg.2c438be29e37338ed328b0401c53e6f0.jpg

DSCN1981_small.jpg.eefc15ef011c4b2ae0ccb676cbfc4988.jpg

DSCN1994_small.thumb.jpg.a3c659a4e4c49509a5a0148e6a19b771.jpg

DSCN1983_small.thumb.jpg.56219d01de99b0c25c0874094fdd471a.jpg

DSCN1995_small.thumb.jpg.0ef70d087f4d09767ef3bf8e0a0f50b7.jpg

DSCN1976_small.thumb.jpg.afd0acb97c0fff665dba5ef830d61bb7.jpg

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And I was just wonder how its done... Thanks for the heads up. I am used to 10 mins of work for a spark plug change.
**There are two types of people in the world, those who build horsepower and those who buy it. Which one are you?

Also, one thing that I did not expect was to find Champion plugs in the car as the OEM plug. I replaced them with the NGK OEM plugs that were listed by many folks on this thread.

This would make me somewhat suspicious that they were not the OEM plugs.

Did it this past weekend...

Whoever desgined the engine should be shot. Dammit, I got small hands and it was tight as hell.

I seriously hope I never have to do that again, just because of the sheer aggravation.

My plugs were whitish.

I ended up getting the Autolite double platinum from Autozone, funny thing that was unexpected, sparkplugs.com quoted them at $5.91 each and they were only $3.99 each at Autozone for the same part #. I knew the part # before I went in, so as a test I had them pull it up in their system and they got it right, so I guess thats a point for Autozone.

Doc - how did the Autolites work out for you? Were they like a rebadged/unbadged OEM part?

Thanks

Did it this past weekend...

Whoever desgined the engine should be shot. Dammit, I got small hands and it was tight as hell.

I seriously hope I never have to do that again, just because of the sheer aggravation.

Dude... not to burst your bubble.. but this car is the easiest plug change I've ever done. :confused:

^ You and those old V8s. :p:lol:

You've *really* gotta try it on a DSM. My 3-year-old could've done that one, with her eyes closed!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Doc - how did the Autolites work out for you? Were they like a rebadged/unbadged OEM part?

Thanks

Sorry you probably wanted an answer before you did the project :redface: they worked fine, I ended up using Autolite XP Iridium for the GT and they're doing great as well

HELP QUICK!! i'm only 1hour into the project and i need to know what the plug gap should be. i don't see any gap's mentioned here in this article. i ended up buying the autolite xp iridium plugs.(i would have preferred ngk iridiums but they didn't have em in stock).

please help quickly!! my old plugs are out and new plugs are waiting to go in just don't know what to gap them at!

thanks guys!!!

-Luke

i figured they were pregapped but the ngk plugs i pulled out of the car were gapped at about .30. the pregap on the new autolites has got to be like 40+ somewhere. i'll have to recheck what the pregap is. i was using a feeler gauge lol

-Luke

Edited by lkailburn

i checked sparkplugs.com and also advanceauto.com and both sites list the autolite xp iridium xp5325 with a gap of .44 as a plug for the legacy gt? I dunno what to do at this point. has anyone isntalled this plug in a LGT before?

not sure if links will carry through

http://www.sparkplugs.com/results_app.asp?productTypeID=1&AAIA=1430733

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/partlist_Spark-Plug_960_R%7CGRPTUNEAMS___

-Luke

Hi All,

I've checked one of the plugs (The others are too difficult to get to with the tools I've got at the moment) and it had been gapped by the mechanic at 1.0 mm which is the normally aspirated gap instead of the Turbo gap of .7 to .8 mm. The car needs new cam cover gaskets to fix an oil leak so I'm going to get them to do the rest when they replace those. Even fixing one has helped.

Thanks to everybody for their help with this.

Cheers

Mark

the proper gap for our plugs. I know the 2.5i is .44, which on a TC car will likely lead to misfires. I am guessing it will be around .28-.33 or wear abouts.

Yes, .028. If you get a plug with a .045 gap then that is a -11 plug which is a wide gap N/A plug. If your getting plugs with that wide of a gap that are not -11's then you need to purchase from another retailer. Out of the 10 sets I have gotten from Sparkplugs.com NONE of them have been gapped any wider than .028. Not to mention the numerous sets I have installed for customers, all being gapped within spec.

-Matt

You make the call.

thanks for the replies dude on the couch. I put the car back together with the original ngk plugs. I'm going to return the autolites to autozone and then I'll stop down at subaru and order some or if someone has a recommended site to purchase from i'll go that route.

thanks again,

-Luke