LegacyGT.com

Koni Shock/Strut & Epic Engineering Spring Install

So, unfortunately, I don't know the answer to your questions, but I do know that there is a big thread out there on the forum that talks all about the differences between the Legacy and Outback suspension. I'll bet if you can track that down, it will answer most of your questions about modifying it too.

Hey left out the most important demographic; lesbians :lol:

I guess I'll just keep it stock height, until I get a second car and figure out if I want to go get it lifted or go LGT height with Konis or Blistiens. If I went the Koni route, could I use my OBXT struts and cut them to fit Koni's or would I need to find a set of LGT ones?

Lesbians drive Foresters. LOL. I drive one and have been called out on it before. Thats ok, I like being a Lesbian. :lol::lol::lol:

Konis will not fit your OBXT struts. You would need LGT donors for the front inserts. Just today I pulled a set of clapped out Bilstein/lowering springs from an 08 OBXT and installed KYB GR2 (LGT) with OEM LGT (wagon) front and rear springs.

Lesbians drive Foresters. LOL. I drive one and have been called out on it before. Thats ok, I like being a Lesbian. :lol::lol::lol:

Konis will not fit your OBXT struts. You would need LGT donors for the front inserts. Just today I pulled a set of clapped out Bilstein/lowering springs from an 08 OBXT and installed KYB GR2 (LGT) with OEM LGT (wagon) front and rear springs.

That is a good point, however I do recall seeing top 5 cars lesbians drive and the outback was on there yet the forester was #1 no doubt :lol:

I need to replace my front struts soon however I don't want to go lower than stock so I guess I'll just replace them with OEM KYB, the KYB GR2 would be an upgrade or are they the same; would it be strange to only replace the fronts with GR2 and have the rears be regular (as I replaced them about 10k ago and don't want to replace em if I don't need to)

KYB is the OE source for Subaru struts. The GR2 are the KYB "aftermarket" replacement part. The GR2 are valved approximately 10% stiffer than the OEM units. This is because KYB anticipates other suspension components being worn when the struts are replaced. It should not be any issue to run OEM rears and GR2 fronts.

In anyone's experience - would there be any issues installing the KYB OEM Front struts (PNs 339222 and 339223, which are recommended for the '10-'12 MYs) on a 2013? Looking to pull the trigger on this.

For Koni inserts? If yes, then no issues.

Anybody here running the Koni sport kit on their 05-09 Outback? I currently have the Legacy suspension in my Outback, but it's got about 100K on it. I have the opportunity to purchase the full plug and play sport kit that Infamous was selling a while back. Just looking for opinions. Thanks.

The sport kit is literally the same Koni shocks/inserts and H&R springs, just packaged together by Koni. You still need to install the front cartridges into the strut bodies, and assemble the springs onto the shocks/struts with upper mounts and perches, unless IPT was offering that service.

The sport kit is literally the same Koni shocks/inserts and H&R springs, just packaged together by Koni. You still need to install the front cartridges into the strut bodies, and assemble the springs onto the shocks/struts with upper mounts and perches, unless IPT was offering that service.

I should've clarified, these are coming out of a Legacy GT because the owner is selling the vehicle, and wants to de-mod it prior to sale. They are plug & play, ready to go. 1K miles on the setup. I know some people have liked this setup on their Legacy GT wagon, but I'm not finding too many people running this on their Outback. Nonetheless, it should be a huge improvement from my Legacy suspension with 100K on it.

I have not sold assembled set ups for a few years. My cores kept failing to return. :spin::mad::spin:

• 1 month later...

Anyone have any issues with the rear being too high? I haven't let the springs settle, but especially compared to the front it looks like the rear is lifted. There is a 2 finger gap in the front and I can fit my whole fist in the rear. I'll get an exact measurement tomorrow but something definitely seems off.

The sport kit I have is sku: 1140 1671 with h and r springsm

Anyone have any issues with the rear springs? I have a 2 finger gap in the front but in the rear I can fit 5 fingers.

Springs haven't settled yet but this still seems way too high.

I have the kit with h and r springs sku: 1140 1671

Anyone have any issues with the rear springs? I have a 2 finger gap in the front but in the rear I can fit 5 fingers.

Springs haven't settled yet but this still seems way too high.

I have the kit with h and r springs sku: 1140 1671

The lower perches are likely inverted on your struts. This pushes the springs up too high....

-mike

Did you drive it around yet? It's been a while, but are the rear top hats and spring perches installed in the correct orientation? Do you have any photos?

I have driven it about 30 miles. when I got the car back it looked off and assumed it needed to settle and on the way home I realized that even taking that into account it is still very high. I didn't actually install these myself - I had a friend of a friend do it. Here are some pictures just to confirm the perches are inverted.

Rear:

http://i.imgur.com/eBvtQ2G.jpg

Front:

http://i.imgur.com/1PqAP2C.jpg

Side view:

http://i.imgur.com/qHc6UmW.jpg

Spring:

http://i.imgur.com/rVXLBXS.jpg

I didn't have a tape measure with me, but with such a drastic difference in height I don't think you need one.

The lower perches are likely inverted on your struts. This pushes the springs up too high....

-mike

It definitely looks like thats the issue now that I look at it. I had a friend install them so Ill let him know.

http://i.imgur.com/rVXLBXS.jpg

Has been done many times. H&R are nice springs. Firmer than Epics. With the adjustable of the Koni, they can be dialed in nicely. The drop is lower than an Epic, but higher than a Swift or S-Tech.

Is this still the case that the Epic is lowest in drop? I have an 05 LGTL 5mt wagon and I am looking for a minimal drop + konis. Maybe Epic and rear spacers?

Is this still the case that the Epic is lowest in drop? I have an 05 LGTL 5mt wagon and I am looking for a minimal drop + konis. Maybe Epic and rear spacers?

Epic is the most mild drop, but they are no longer available (new). H&R are still available.

Just installed my rear Koni's waiting until the weekend to install fronts. I'm using stock springs and my stock strut mounts. Strut mounts were never removed from the spring, I did them in a wall mount spring compressor, everything seems tight but I'm getting clunking coming from the rear that was never present before. Was worse on left side, made sure it was tightened down, now is worse on the right side. Any ideas?

Your strut shaft nut is loose? The top hats are not properly seated?

Good ideas, however I have triple checked the shaft nuts for tightness, and the strut mount was never removed from the top of the spring but that is something I will have to double check! The only thing I did out of the ordinary was use the stock flat washer then put on the koni lock washer, then put on the koni shaft nut.

Thanks for the input by the way, these things perform amazingly and quite comfortably with the stock springs, that rattle just gets on your nerves rather quickly.

Good ideas, however I have triple checked the shaft nuts for tightness, and the strut mount was never removed from the top of the spring but that is something I will have to double check! The only thing I did out of the ordinary was use the stock flat washer then put on the koni lock washer, then put on the koni shaft nut.

Thanks for the input by the way, these things perform amazingly and quite comfortably with the stock springs, that rattle just gets on your nerves rather quickly.

It has to be removed from the spring, there is no other way to change out shocks. Something is loose or not assembled properly.