LegacyGT.com

Koni Shock/Strut & Epic Engineering Spring Install

Is it possible already bolted in to car do you know? I forgot how the koni yellows were and need to torque down the top nut still.

You can tighten them but you can't torque them. Unfortunately they don't make a reasonably priced pass through torque wrench. I just tighten by feel. You have the same access on the car as you do off the car, the only difference is that the springs are not compressed like they could be while off the car. If they were compressed you could torque the top nut with a standard torque wrench while using a pass through for the larger bottom nut. If you try to do that on the car you will more than likely snap the top nut.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Ok that's fine as long as I can tighten them. The nut is 17mm I believe what do you use to hold the dampening adjustment piece?

The front is a 19mm and a 9mm, the back is a 17mm and I think a 9mm.

Got a pass through socket set from sears. Tightened fronts no problem but I need an extension to do the rear nuts unfortunately.

Front and rear nuts are 17mm. Strut adjustment but is 10mm I believe. Couldn't find my 10mm but 3/8" worked which is almost the same.

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

Moddiction Stainless steel and Titanium shift knobs.

Drivetrain, suspension, brakes, exhaust, cooling, fuel, gauges+MUCH more!

Got a pass through socket set from sears. Tightened fronts no problem but I need an extension to do the rear nuts unfortunately.

Front and rear nuts are 17mm. Strut adjustment but is 10mm I believe. Couldn't find my 10mm but 3/8" worked which is almost the same.

Cool, it's a good tool to have on hand.

Car feels great with the konis! No noises or anything. Rides smoother than it did before it seems and softer ride even 1 full turn from full soft all around. Maybe I'll firm it up a little bit more. Thought it would for sure be harsher! Very happy with them so far. Only did a couple of miles so far though.

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

Car feels great with the konis! No noises or anything. Rides smoother than it did before it seems and softer ride even 1 full turn from full soft all around. Maybe I'll firm it up a little bit more. Thought it would for sure be harsher! Very happy with them so far. Only did a couple of miles so far though.

I'm liking mine. I went a little farther than 1 turn but it's all preference. Mine is super tight but still pretty comfortable. Coming from coilovers it's still a huge improvement.

Pressed in my old shocks today and one is completely blown. Pushed it in and didn raise back up at all. Other 3 VERY slowly did. 85k miles. Pretty crappy oem shocks I must say! Never had completely blown shocks with that few miles before.

No wonder even with the firmer konis and lowering springs it still feels smoother and more comfortable of a ride than before!

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

Wouldn't you want the rear stiffer in this car to reduce under steer?

I don't know about the physics of the car but stiffer in the front feels better IMHO. It could have to do with camber too. My front is .5 and the back is 2.5 so the back grips pretty good in the turns, when I get the lca's I might end up changing it up.

On another note I just got my gtspec rsb 30 mins ago and installed it so that might change things a little too.

• Moderators
Wouldn't you want the rear stiffer in this car to reduce under steer?

Yes. These cars understeer. Setting things up a bit stiffer in the rear (adjustable shocks / coils and/or a RSB) can help that.

I don't know about the physics of the car but stiffer in the front feels better IMHO. It could have to do with camber too. My front is .5 and the back is 2.5 so the back grips pretty good in the turns, when I get the lca's I might end up changing it up.

So you're saying that stiffening the front (which induces more understeer) is mitigated by your crazy rear grip (which ALSO leads to understeer conditions) feels better? That makes no sense really. Might want to look to get some additional caster up front to increase the turn-in feel, or also look into better tires that would help with that (stiffer sidewalls). That's probably the feeling that you are liking. Going that route would possibly help to keep the "feel" without needing to set the car up like garbage.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

The stiffer your RSB, the less-stiff you want your dampeners...at least for a DD. And adding a RSB is going to dial-in oversteer so be attentive until you get the feel for it, especially in high-torque/throttle-on turns. It could get squirrely on you. Fun, but squirrely until you figure-out the break-away point(s).
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Yes. These cars understeer. Setting things up a bit stiffer in the rear (adjustable shocks / coils and/or a RSB) can help that.

So you're saying that stiffening the front (which induces more understeer) is mitigated by your crazy rear grip (which ALSO leads to understeer conditions) feels better? That makes no sense really. Might want to look to get some additional caster up front to increase the turn-in feel, or also look into better tires that would help with that (stiffer sidewalls). That's probably the feeling that you are liking. Going that route would possibly help to keep the "feel" without needing to set the car up like garbage.

How do you gain caster? Whiteline top hats don't fit our car.

All else equal, if you want to feel your car really "grip" in the corners, reduce your rear camber to NMT -1.5*, and add another degree to the front to ~-2.5*. Adding offset LCA bushes will further dial this in by adding up to +.5 positive caster.

Dude, do you even have a 5th gen? From what I've read the the 5th gen aren't like previous generations.

I've worked on (modded) several 5th Gens and while the rear suspension is different, the front is essentially the same and the dynamics addressed above are equally the same.