LegacyGT.com

Koni Shock/Strut & Epic Engineering Spring Install

It has to be removed from the spring, there is no other way to change out shocks. Something is loose or not assembled properly.

Well the way I did it was in a wall mount spring compressor. 3 arms hold down the top of the strut mount 3 arms hold the lower portion of the spring. Undo the shaft nut and the strut falls out of the spring. I do it all day at work with no problems. Everything else was done as shown in the walk through.

I'll probably be taking it apart and revisiting it all again.

You dont have to remove the spring from the top hat/mount/perch to replace the strut. But... the strut shaft has a ledge on it that the top hat must rest against. If it is not against the ledge then there is play when it is installed.

Maybe the spring is slightly rotated and not against the lower stop? Is it a clunk or a rattle?

It is a possibility that with the new struts another worn suspension component is rearing its head now.

the strut shaft has a ledge on it that the top hat must rest against. If it is not against the ledge then there is play when it is installed.
I wonder if that is my problem, when I put the new shocks in I put the shaft through the top hat enough to thread the nut on the shaft then released some tension on the spring so it would sit in the lower perch to keep it from spinning while I torqued the nut

Maybe the spring is slightly rotated and not against the lower stop? Is it a clunk or a rattle?
. The spring appears to be sitting properly in the lower perch. It's more of a clunk,

It is a possibility that with the new struts another worn suspension component is rearing its head now.

Initially I thought rear sway bark links, I shook those down and they're tight, any other trouble spots I should check?

I wonder if that is my problem, when I put the new shocks in I put the shaft through the top hat enough to thread the nut on the shaft then released some tension on the spring so it would sit in the lower perch to keep it from spinning while I torqued the nut

. The spring appears to be sitting properly in the lower perch. It's more of a clunk,

Initially I thought rear sway bark links, I shook those down and they're tight, any other trouble spots I should check?

You want to seat everything before releasing spring pressure. Could be a very small amount of play.

Took everything apart all was aligned and tightened properly. Replaced strut mounts, and it quieted down. Funny thing is they didn't look that bad just weather cracked. But I've learned my lesson, always do the mounts.

That stuff covers well. Less than one can. I did primer first but most do not.

Sent from a device using some software.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

• 1 month later...
Has anyone done this install on a car with 19's? Any clearance issues?

If the 19's and your tire choice fits with your stock struts, the 19's will fit with Koni's inserted into your stock struts, since the spring perch is stationary. :spin:

If the 19's and your tire choice fits with your stock struts, the 19's will fit with Koni's inserted into your stock struts, since the spring perch is stationary. :spin:

Sorry I meant about the ride height change with the H&R's, I understand the struts won't alert your height, I was curious if any one had done the 1.3" drop with 19"S

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Sorry I meant about the ride height change with the H&R's, I understand the struts won't alert your height, I was curious if any one had done the 1.3" drop with 19"S

Alter....

Once again, if the proper tire/wheel fitment is chosen there is no issue. Keep the circumference the same, keep the width the same, keep the offset the same it will fit every time.

Otherwise, you are asking a loaded question. What wheel? What offset? What tire and size? What alignment settings? etc.

Has anybody here experienced clicking noise from the front after installing these? I have Konis with H&Rs, and a few days ago I started getting a clicking noise from my drivers front, when turning the wheel to the right. The CV on that side was only 1 year old, but I replaced it yesterday anyway, just to be sure. Didn't get rid of the clicking. I do have Whiteline com c adjustable top hats, and I have read about possible issues with those, but that was a known issue with their previous design, and these have the new design. Does a bad ball joint click? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Check your front top hat orientation. The 2 "weep" holes should be facing the outside of the car.

These were pre-assembled when I bough them. Only had about 1K miles on them. They've been in the car for about a month, with no issues, then just a few days ago, the clicking started. The noise isn't as noticeable when the car is on jack stands, because there is less stress on the struts. That's why I'm leaning towards a strut issue. The top hats can only go 2 ways, max positive camber, or max negative camber. I know there was a design issue with these, but that was a previous version, and has since been rectified by Whiteline.

Sorry, missed the aftermarket top hat note. If they worked without noise and now there is noise, something has changed.

The strut should not change regardless of wheel position. Only the top hat bearing is spinning. The load is held by the bearing. If the noise is only there in a turn it tends to point to a CV.

But, it could be anything. It could be a small piece of debris in the brake dust shield that comes in contact only at a specific angle. It could be the outer tie rod end pushing into the dust shield and then the shield contacting the rotor, etc. Seen many, many scenarios.

The interweb is not always a good troubleshooting tool. No one here can physically "engage" the car.

Has anybody here experienced clicking noise from the front after installing these? .

I just had some Epics installed on my pre-existing Konis. I am getting a click on the passenger front. It occurs typically when I accelerate slowly then apply the brake. For example leaving a stoplight but then having to slow down for a car in front. It is a single click.

Attached is the orientation of my tophat. These are new OEM top hats. Whiteline Roll Center Bump Steer kit was installed at the time of spring install as well.

tophat.thumb.jpg.2df682264e397422195e0923c473f601.jpg

Edited by ashwinearl

Cant tell from the top. You need to pull the wheel and look up from the bottom.

Are you running aftermarket front brake pads? The click could be the pad shifting and you are just hearing it now that you are more aware (recent install).

These were pre-assembled when I bough them. Only had about 1K miles on them. They've been in the car for about a month, with no issues, then just a few days ago, the clicking started. The noise isn't as noticeable when the car is on jack stands, because there is less stress on the struts. That's why I'm leaning towards a strut issue. The top hats can only go 2 ways, max positive camber, or max negative camber. I know there was a design issue with these, but that was a previous version, and has since been rectified by Whiteline.

When I replaced my oem struts with aftermarket kybs, I got a clicking sound after installing the conical washer upside down on one side by accident. I know the people in this thread are running konis things are a little different, but I thought I'd throw this out there anyways because you never know. I would also imagine that this could happen if your strut bearings were old enough, and froze up for some reason.

Video of my sound and the spring binding/releasing.

https://youtu.be/tGuJMVwxDxw

Edited by apexi

• 2 months later...
Is that a pic of the front or rear? I think you got the Koni/H&R kit for the WRX didn't you? They never made that kit for our cars. Those springs are for the WRX, not the Legacy. The upper spring seat for the WRX is smaller than ours. You need the Legacy specific H&Rs, part number 54427-1 or 54427-2 which will fit our spring seat. Edited by GTEASER