LegacyGT.com

How fast will our cars go?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On April 23, 1998, a Generation III Subaru Legacy set a new world speed record for mass-produced turbocharged station wagons with small engines (1600 cc-2000 cc class), clocking 270.532 km/h (168.101 mph) over one kilometer on Highway 10 in La Junta, Colorado.[citation needed] This record was previously set by a Generation II Subaru Legacy in 1993 at 249.981 km/h (155.331 mph).[citation needed]

The original Legacy speed record was set between January 2 and January 21, 1989, with three Japanese-spec turbocharged RS sedans at the Arizona Test Center outside of Phoenix, Arizona. It broke the 100,000 km FIA World Land Endurance Record by maintaining an average speed of 138.780 mph (223.345 km/h) for 447 hours, 44 minutes and 9.887 seconds, or 18.5 days. Pit stops were made every two hours with a driver change and refueling, while tire changes were made at 96 hour intervals, or every 13,400 miles (21,600 km) driven.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_Legacy#Speed_records

Anyone care to provide the requested citations? :lol:

The best part about the 1989 attempt? That 138.780mph average speed... included pit stops.

Re: Top Speed. I have no idea in my wagon. But I have heard that crusie control does not work beyond 93-ish mph.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

2.5i manual

1st 3.454 / 13.47

2nd 2.062 / 8.04

3rd 1.448 / 5.65

4th 1.088 / 4.24

5th 0.780 / 3.04

FDR 3.900

2.5GT manual

1st 3.166 / 13.02

2nd 1.882 / 7.74

3rd 1.296 / 5.33

4th 0.972 / 4.00

5th 0.738 / 3.03

FDR 4.111

http://www.catherineandken.co.uk/sti/tyres.html

theoretical and actual are distinctly different though ;)

Well guys, we really shouldn't be posting what top speed we have reached on here. I know what mine will do but I'd never post it.

So far everyone is being responsible about it, and its mostly a technical discussion about which transmission is faster!:lol:

I am a tough dude and I am going to insult all the participants of this thread. My opinion is very important.

http://www.enormouslysideways.net/calc.html

Says 5eat LGT could do 187mph. If you can provide it with that much power for that long.

Trouble is the survival rate of any sort of crash at that speed approaches zero well before you get to 187mph. If I get diagnosed with a terminal disease, I'll let you all know how it goes.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Yes, but if you hold the button down, it'll keep going until you let go ;)

All I mean to say is that if I set my CC at 80 it will not "stick". I have to lower my speed to 76 or so before i can active my CC and cruise like that for a while. Then it will cancel itself. In fact it sort of cancels itself for very strange reasons...at different speeds but the 76 mph limit is the one i can always replicate.

I think cruise controls from most (or all) car manufacturers are limited to 78mph, since I've noticed that with other vehicles I drive. What I was saying, though, is that if you hold the accelerate button, it will go past 78 and keep going until you let go. But then it will go back to its limit.

All I mean to say is that if I set my CC at 80 it will not "stick". I have to lower my speed to 76 or so before i can active my CC and cruise like that for a while. Then it will cancel itself. In fact it sort of cancels itself for very strange reasons...at different speeds but the 76 mph limit is the one i can always replicate.

Might be a clutch or brake mechanism related issue. I had the same issue after upgrading my clutch, but after I installed a clutch return spring it went away.

Without a doubt one of the dumbest threads I've seen here.:rolleyes:

You calling me dumb buthead? Holy speed lightening Batman this thread is out of control. We mod our cars to go faster yet we can't talk about the theoretical Top speed? Hello, we are not talking about street racing here.

Cruise works up to about 93mph in my car, according to people I've talked to with the same car.

There is an event called the Texas Mile that a guy on the Forester Boards used to do in his 06 XT. His TOP speed eludes me, but it was upwards of 160.

I'd love to go to the salt flats and give her an official run, just for the heck of it.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Cruise works up to about 93mph in my car, according to people I've talked to with the same car.

There is an event called the Texas Mile that a guy on the Forester Boards used to do in his 06 XT. His TOP speed eludes me, but it was upwards of 160.

I'd love to go to the salt flats and give her an official run, just for the heck of it.

You'd probably go faster in the Texas Mile. You have to have a fire suppression system and a roll cage to drive over 130 at Bonneville.

So lame.

Maybe I'll look for a Texas Mile type event. According to the Forester guy, it was pretty awesome. They have a massive tech-inspection and I can't recall him ever mentioning any instances of accidents in the several years he did the event. He said there were regularly Vipers and Vettes besting the 200mph mark. I'd love to pilot a car to 200+mph.

I think you'd go faster at Texas Mile than Bonneville, just from surface roughness alone.

I don't want to brag or sound like a badass, but coming from Europe 160 is not that big of a deal, yeah it's fast and you die quick if you screw up but that Texas mile makes it sound like 80% of American drivers would die on European roads. Hell, I used to push 135mph in a 92 Opel Astra on 2-lane "highways" all the time.

You calling me dumb buthead? Holy speed lightening Batman this thread is out of control. We mod our cars to go faster yet we can't talk about the theoretical Top speed? Hello, we are not talking about street racing here.

When you learn how to spell "butthead" correctly I'll stop.:p

Theoretical top speed ? Hopefully you don't kill yourself or others proving your theorys.:spin:

Archived