LegacyGT.com

How fast will our cars go?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Soooo, what track has everyone driven on to see how fast they can legally go?

Pit straight and back straight thingy Thunderhill, Willows, CA

main straight Mid-America Motorsports Park, somewhere near Council Bluffs, IA

(I've been on others but no where near as fast)

Top speed is usually a moot point, it's the average speed that you are able to keep on the track that's important.

+1

stock LGT 4th gens should do 145 without too much of a problem, but you need some long straights to do it.

All BMWs that I know are electronically governed to hit 155mph.. so unless that owner took off the govener, it's aint gonna hit 180 mph, I dont care if he made 500whp, it's just not going to happen that easily.. not to mention that the speedo can be wrong as well as the tires are spinning or slipping in the process from lift and what not.. you actually need to be clocked by radar to even claim those numbers unless your car is like an F1 machine produce drag as much as 1.7...

LGT 4th gens are listed as 0.29 for drag coeff. (I think it's in the brochure from the last time I checked, which is the same drag as a C6 vette). It's the lift that are different between the two cars that makes annoying for you to keep the wheels on the ground to keep the car rolling and maintain the speed

Keefe

I'm thinking of trading my car for a used SRT-8 300 or SRT-8 Charger. 173 mph out of the box!

Thats not why I'm considering this though. I need a little more room/better ride and getting sick of shifting.

The Germans (Mercedes) were really pissed about that since their own AMG was limited to 155. Heads rolled in Detroit when those models came out.:lol:

Can someone just go 180 already (on their local closed course race track straight) so this thread can get stickied? Would only take like one minute. Roll bar might be a good idea though. Doesn't take much to get a car to flip when traction is completely lost at high speeds. Definitely wouldn't know anything about that.

OK, will you help me mount this on my roof?

http://www.456fis.org/THE%20JET%20ENGINE/Engine.f15.arp.750pix%5B1%5D.jpg

I am a tough dude and I am going to insult all the participants of this thread. My opinion is very important.

http://www.enormouslysideways.net/calc.html

Says 5eat LGT could do 187mph. If you can provide it with that much power for that long.

Trouble is the survival rate of any sort of crash at that speed approaches zero well before you get to 187mph. If I get diagnosed with a terminal disease, I'll let you all know how it goes.

I knew I was not tripping :) ... maybe I'll be the first to test this ... think it can happen within 1mile? lol

512whp/465ftlb 2005 5EAT Legacy (Build Log)

Videos -

-

Someone live near Utah? Just saw an article on a recent Popular mech mag where a two editors took two American Muscle cars to the Salt flats and legally did top end runs. One (a stock Camaro SS with governer tweaked) did 174 mph but it took like 3 miles to get there . Funny thing was that they talked about a drag race with an STI (which they beat) during the journey there.

I wonder what my 3.0 specB could do...Hmmmmm 5EAT, and a small island means I could become a cliff diver in a matter of seconds.

I'll tell you that at a fairly high KM rate, I had room on the speedo for more. In excess of 120 seems like it would be OK but I can't test it here.

Fishbone: You have a great point about Europe. I lived in Germany for 10 years, and driving there is a world of difference. I could do 125 getting the groceries (on the Autobahn, and without the family on board).

Hell, I went on a golf trip with a friend of mine, Stuttgart to Innsbruck, and my Volvo V70 2.4L NA/5 cylinder would do 130. No issues. And have cars fly by me at insane speeds (at least 150 or more). You just learn to keep wider gaps between you and the car in front of you, and always look 10 times before your pull out to pass. Then get your ass back over once done.

You just learn to keep wider gaps between you and the car in front of you, and always look 10 times before your pull out to pass. Then get your ass back over once done.

DING DING DING!!!

IMHO That is one of the leading causes of accidents, NOT SPEED, but the idiot driving in the left lane below the speed limit, or moron that switches lanes without looking well enough or knowing their surroundings. If US police would be more concerned about safe driving HABITS and less about actual speed we may be able to lessen the accidents.

Myself, I have never driven in a foreign country, but I did do the usual US drivers Ed in HS. My dad taught me more when I was 13 first learning to drive than I learned in a year of drivers ed.

/soapbox

With airboy's sheet you can calculate drivetrain and aero drag.

Even at stock 190 whp 155 mph should be possible.

250 whp (stage2) = 170 mph

300 whp (VF52 on good fuel or meth) = 180 mph

350 whp (20g on good gas...30R on pump) = 190 mph

Obviously gearing plays into this, so 175+ is gonna be pretty much impossible.

On my car at BIR (which is IIRC the 2nd highest top-speed track in the US, I was hitting an indicated 150 mph (probably 145 or so) before braking. I was definitely still accelerating. Kinda freaked me out, so I went down to 15 pis for the rest of the day, and topped out at about 135 to 140.

it has nothing to do with weight or aerodynamics. it has everything to do with the bonneville sanctioning body not allowing you to drive over 130mph unless your car is equipped with a full roll cage and fire suppression system.

that's why the Texas Mile is a better choice for LGT racers. they are much more lenient. in fact they only require a 4 point roll hoop if you are trying to go 190+

hell even at atco raceway now they ask you if you are running an aftermarket turbo. if you say yes, they won't let you run unless you have a fire suit.

And I was just considering the complaint of the roll cage causing the speed to be lower. I can fully understand their requirement of having a roll cage in the car. And anybody caring for their life if something goes wrong.

453747.png

Archived