LegacyGT.com

How fast will our cars go?

You'd probably go faster in the Texas Mile. You have to have a fire suppression system and a roll cage to drive over 130 at Bonneville.

That extra weight shouldn't make much difference. And I suspect that you can make up for it by removing the wipers when doing the trial to improve the aerodynamics.

Duck tape may also be useful to trim the aerodynamics a bit.

But the worst problem as I see it is to keep control of the traction to avoid one end of the car lifting off the ground at high speeds. Regardless of which end that takes a hike at high speed it will be bad.

453747.png

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When you learn how to spell "butthead" correctly I'll stop.:p

Theoretical top speed ? Hopefully you don't kill yourself or others proving your theorys.:spin:

get real:rolleyes: In the context that most of us are referring to (@ the track) these aren't exactly outrageous speeds bud. Peak straightaway speed is a 'reward' for how well you took the last corner.

I will say that setting cruise control at 100+ mph is pretty retarded imo..

All I mean to say is that if I set my CC at 80 it will not "stick". I have to lower my speed to 76 or so before i can active my CC and cruise like that for a while. Then it will cancel itself. In fact it sort of cancels itself for very strange reasons...at different speeds but the 76 mph limit is the one i can always replicate.

There is an ECU update for this available at your dealer. Cost me 90 bucks, but let me have my cruise back. Same symptoms. I believe there is a TSB related to it that they're aware of.

get real:rolleyes: In the context that most of us are referring to (@ the track) these aren't exactly outrageous speeds bud. Peak straightaway speed is a 'reward' for how well you took the last corner.

I will say that setting cruise control at 100+ mph is pretty retarded imo..

"most" but not all.And how did you know my name was "bud"?

The M5 at the beach won't go over 155 stock (unless it was new as something is up with the 155 limiter in some german cars) and if it was chipped for speed limiter removal only it should do about 175 before it's into the wind too much.

Top speed is so hard to increase, you will need real sustainable HP at near top RPM to increase your top speed, it requires an increase in HP of 4x to double your speed, so just going 10% faster than stock (say from 140 up to 155) would require somewhere near 300 HP at the right RPM. There are lots of stories about top speed. Get a GPS or radar gun or it's all just imagineering.

Also, the brakes certainly should be able to take full threshold braking at any speed and not overheat in one stop. Why people are afraid to brake at speed is beyond me, what are they there for? Just to use from 80-0?

Can someone just go 180 already (on their local closed course race track straight) so this thread can get stickied? Would only take like one minute. Roll bar might be a good idea though. Doesn't take much to get a car to flip when traction is completely lost at high speeds. Definitely wouldn't know anything about that.
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

I've hit 150+ in my LGT and it was still pulling but I backed off. Closed circuit of course :lol:

well you have to show off your racing specs at the end of the track day right???

I personally did 135 on a closed course when some dumb srt-4 tried to race me.....plenty of throttle left

It's more about having a proper and safe piece of asphalt (like a friend's private airstrip) than a ton of horsepower. ;) That said, a 5EAT will run 150mph on the speedo with a wimpy tune and not even get out of 4th gear.

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu325/tunedlgt/IMG_1039.jpg

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu325/tunedlgt/146.jpg

As an aside - on the stock 215/45-17 rubber your speedo will be 2mph optimistic for every 75mph. 225/45-17 tires will correct that.

When you learn how to spell "butthead" correctly I'll stop.:p

Theoretical top speed ? Hopefully you don't kill yourself or others proving your theorys.:spin:

My speling is perfect now go away and join grandpaws forum :lol:

^^^are we not missing something glaringly obvious here ?............the plural of theory is theories.

Just "sayin'". :) :) :)

Peace brothers........(Not being mean......just keeping it real )

Do it right the first time.........or don't bother doing it at all.

That extra weight shouldn't make much difference. And I suspect that you can make up for it by removing the wipers when doing the trial to improve the aerodynamics.

Duck tape may also be useful to trim the aerodynamics a bit.

But the worst problem as I see it is to keep control of the traction to avoid one end of the car lifting off the ground at high speeds. Regardless of which end that takes a hike at high speed it will be bad.

it has nothing to do with weight or aerodynamics. it has everything to do with the bonneville sanctioning body not allowing you to drive over 130mph unless your car is equipped with a full roll cage and fire suppression system.

that's why the Texas Mile is a better choice for LGT racers. they are much more lenient. in fact they only require a 4 point roll hoop if you are trying to go 190+

hell even at atco raceway now they ask you if you are running an aftermarket turbo. if you say yes, they won't let you run unless you have a fire suit.

Archived