LegacyGT.com

2011 Kia Optima most loaded car in its class?

This isn't their first car this good -- only their latest. The revitalization began with the Azera's introduction. The Kia Amanti has used the Azera's drivetrain for the past few years. The Sonata's refresh for 09-10 was nice too before they clobbered us with the new 11 version (sister car to the Kia of this thread). The Genesis sedan and coupe arrived, both extremely competitive for their segment. A Kia Borrego does everything the 4Runner does for thousands less and with 50+ more hp to go with it.

My mother has had her $30k Hyundai for 5 years and it's been perfect. It was bought within a few weeks of the model's debut and hasn't had a single issue in all this time. She's got another 5 years of warranty remaining too, just in case.

After all, I dished out $30k for "just" a Subaru...

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dismissing a car due to its brand name no matter how good it actually is is called "brand snobbery." It's quite common. The good thing is many people will buy the better car no matter whose name is on it. I got tired of hearing the phrase "That's a Hyundai?" when the Azera first hit the street. I was test-driving a Genesis sedan when someone in a new BMW asked me what it was. They thought I was joking when I said Hyundai.

My grandparents will probably ditch their LS460 in favor of the upcoming Equus. Yep, that's a $60k Hyundai. I'm sure the fact that it competes with $90k cars will be lost on some people.

I forgot some cars in my previous post too. The new Forte/Koupe is another winner in its class. Great looks, great equipment, unbeatable price. Same goes with the new Sorrento -- everything you'd expect from a Lexus RX350 for $20k less -- 270hp, available fulltime AWD, panoramic roof, heated seats, nav, backup camera, etc.

So long as the materials are better than the Spectra-5 that I had driven for a week years back.

A friend had one as a company car that he let me borrow when my car broke down, it was less than a year old and the steering wheel was rubbing off on my hand after a 10 minute drive. In addition to that the stereo seemed like it was made as cheaply as humanly possible.

So that would have been a MY2008 I think?

I dunno, if they've improved their entire fleet I'll have to check them out again, but I was not impressed by their offering (on another note I had a Hyandai Accent as a rental last year and was pleasantly surprised).

Although for some weird reason (if this is still true about the Spectra being horribly cheap) it really bugs me that they'd have such a horrible (quality) interior in the Spectra, but come out with a luxury car.

I can agree that Hyundai and Kia have come a long way in build quality. However, their styling (to me) looks like mimicry of higher-end models such as BMW and Mercedes. Obvious things such as headlights, beltlines, and rear end styling have such an uncanny resemblance. Some of the best car companies in the world built cars that were outrageous and awful at the same time (eh hem: Lancia), but they were original. They are beloved by many for that. The problem with these new cars is that they aren't built with "passion" and "soul" as Jeremy Clarkson would say... They were built to fill a specific niche in the marketplace. Until these companies produce something completely original, and knock my socks off, I just can't be convinced otherwise. With the exception perhaps of the V6 Genesis coupe, but the jury is still out on that one...

Edit: I'll be interested to see how many of today's hyundais and kias will be in the garage of auto enthusiasts 20-30 years down the road...

So long as the materials are better than the Spectra-5 that I had driven for a week years back.

A friend had one as a company car that he let me borrow when my car broke down, it was less than a year old and the steering wheel was rubbing off on my hand after a 10 minute drive. In addition to that the stereo seemed like it was made as cheaply as humanly possible.

So that would have been a MY2008 I think?

I dunno, if they've improved their entire fleet I'll have to check them out again, but I was not impressed by their offering (on another note I had a Hyandai Accent as a rental last year and was pleasantly surprised).

Although for some weird reason (if this is still true about the Spectra being horribly cheap) it really bugs me that they'd have such a horrible (quality) interior in the Spectra, but come out with a luxury car.

Spectra is dead. They killed it off. It has been replaced by a much nicer vehicle - the Forte.

Spectra is dead. They killed it off. It has been replaced by a much nicer vehicle - the Forte.

The interior on the Forte:

http://images.newcars.com/images/car-pictures/original/2010-Kia-Forte-Sedan-LX-4dr-Sedan-Interior.png

Here is the interior on the outgoing Spectra:

http://i37.tinypic.com/2hwkwmr.jpg

If I had $20K to spend on a FWD family car, I'd probably spend it on the Optima's platform mate, the Hyundai Sonata GLS w/ the 2.4l DI four-banger and 6MT. 198 hp, sub-3200 lb. curb weight, 104 cubic feet of passenger volume which when combined w/ the 16 cubic foot trunk squeaks into the EPA Large Car category, 24/35 mpg city/highway, and 10-year warranty. Autoblog apparently agrees:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/08/09/2011-hyundai-sonata-gls-review-road-test/

Now, if Hyundai would put the new 274-hp 2.0l turbo DI engine in the Genesis coupe or sedan w/ a 6MT, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Mike,

Ah, cool.

It (the Forte) definitely looks a lot nicer, but will it feel like the radio buttons are going to snap in half if you press them hard?

I'll wait until I'm in one before I consider dismissing it entirely, but I won't lie about the spectra leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

I'll have to check both the Forte and the Optima out sometime.

• 7 months later...

If that Optima had a Subie badge and AWD you guys would be putting the lotion on and getting ready for some friction:lol:!

Anyway, I just traded in my 2010 LGT for a Sonata 2.0T SE and, honestly, the Sonata is much more refined and much nicer to drive day to day. The little 2L pulls hard and the tranny is smooth. Significantly better than the 5eat on my old 2009 3.0R. Suspension on the SE is much nicer and better damped. Drive one and you will tell right away what I am talking about. Body feels a lot stiffer too.

Why?? Well, I got tired of driving a stick shift and dealing with all the back and forth on the little issues. Overall the 2010 LGT was a pain in the ass and I finally gave up. Tranny troubles(throw out bearing), front end shimmy, crappy 6sp shift quality, etc. Subie was good to work with but I needed something a little more refined and easy on the eyes and wallet (mpg and 87 oct). The Hyundai YF platform is pure value especially with the turbo and 6 speed auto.

Nothing against Subie really except I was ready for a change and I really liked the new Sonata and Optima. The Optima Turbo was not out yet so I elected to go with the Sonata.

Go drive one and see for yourself.

DT

If that Optima had a Subie badge and AWD you guys would be putting the lotion on and getting ready for some friction:lol:!

Anyway, I just traded in my 2010 LGT for a Sonata 2.0T SE and, honestly, the Sonata is much more refined and much nicer to drive day to day. The little 2L pulls hard and the tranny is smooth. Significantly better than the 5eat on my old 2009 3.0R. Suspension on the SE is much nicer and better damped. Drive one and you will tell right away what I am talking about. Body feels a lot stiffer too.

Why?? Well, I got tired of driving a stick shift and dealing with all the back and forth on the little issues. Overall the 2010 LGT was a pain in the ass and I finally gave up. Tranny troubles(throw out bearing), front end shimmy, crappy 6sp shift quality, etc. Subie was good to work with but I needed something a little more refined and easy on the eyes and wallet (mpg and 87 oct). The Hyundai YF platform is pure value especially with the turbo and 6 speed auto.

Nothing against Subie really except I was ready for a change and I really liked the new Sonata and Optima. The Optima Turbo was not out yet so I elected to go with the Sonata.

Go drive one and see for yourself.

DT

I really like the design of this car much better than the new Legacy. I've told myself that my next car will be nothing but an A to B car with no mods so I could probably live with the automatic, but I think I would really miss awd. I'm curious to see the reliability reports on this car after a few years though.

Jumping from the first-model-year after most issues were sorted out to the car that has the first ever turbo engine by Hyundai seems like a recipe for more trips to the dealer rather than less.

With the 100k mile waranty I would be willing to take the risk. That is if it had AWD.

This isn't Hyundai's first turbo - it's their second. The Genesis coupe 2.0 turbo came first and it shares Mitsubishi development know-how. The Sonata makes 75 more hp thanks to direct injection and the advantages that come with it. It's rumored that the Genesis will get the DI engine when it's time for the mid-model refresh which should also force them to bump the v6 from 305 to the 333hp its sedan sibling makes.

What's prettier than the new Sonata? The Kia Optima?

I would stronly disagree with that. But it's your opintion.

And I completely missed the latter half of the thread where P_R completely dominated Johnny Knoxville.

Well done, P_R. Well done.

And I completely missed the latter half of the thread where P_R completely dominated Johnny Knoxville.

Well done, P_R. Well done.

hey buddy, who's 'johnny' knoxville, eh? and i was just aboot to praise your purchase of a 5eat, car guy! hook that 5eat up to an ej22 and now you've got something guy!

The problem with the 10/100 warranty is that the vast majority of Kia dealerships do not offer loaner cars for warranty/service visits.

The Optima is a decent car, you get what you pay for though. It makes the new 9-5 look like a rich man's Optima rather than the Optima a poor man's 9-5. Pretty impressive given the hoop-jumping Saab did.

If I was angling to spend $25k on a A->B commuter it'd be an interesting pick, but as the price climbs you realize you're adding options to the chassis rather than bringing the options up to the chassis.

The problem with the 10/100 warranty is that the vast majority of Kia dealerships do not offer loaner cars for warranty/service visits.

The Optima is a decent car, you get what you pay for though. It makes the new 9-5 look like a rich man's Optima rather than the Optima a poor man's 9-5. Pretty impressive given the hoop-jumping Saab did.

If I was angling to spend $25k on a A->B commuter it'd be an interesting pick, but as the price climbs you realize you're adding options to the chassis rather than bringing the options up to the chassis.

I hope the new Saab's are more reliable than they used to be. I had a 9-3 that spent quite a bit of time at the dealership. Mostly electrical issues and a couple of turbos. That car had some serious torque steer!

My personal opinion on the new 9-5 is that from behind it looks like a Ford Taurus Sedan, and it's way too heavy - a weight of 2 tons is way too much - strip off at least half a ton (500kg) and maybe it's going to fall into my sector of interest.

But from what I can see from the pictures on the web the Optima isn't too bad. Unfortunately (for me) it's a sedan.

453747.png

The key is that a new car shouldn't require regular visits. Except for an oil change you shouldn't have to drop by the dealership. You should be out driving your new car. I'd be interested in knowing what the chassis doesn't live up to? How is Saab's 2.0 turbo version any better than the Kia except that it gives up 55hp to the Kia?

For the price of the loaded 9-5 you can have a Hyundai Genesis that makes a fine comparison to the Saab in every area. Saab's 300hp vs. Hyundai's 380-429 isn't even close. The Genesis matches it feature for feature except for AWD. Even that difference will disappear with the next Genesis refresh. I'd take the Hyundai and pocket the $15k savings but I'm buying the car and not the badge.

BTW, the fact that anyone is comparing a $27k Kia to a $40k (starting) - $55k (loaded) Saab is the ultimate compliment to the Kia/Hyundai engineers.

there are a lot of people on this forum who just can't believe the fact that things change in the world.

Hyundai Genesis won car of year in many countries.

New Hyundai Sonata almost won the car of the year.

Hyundai knew that reliability was the problem 10 years ago and they have been working on that problem ever since.

Their engines, transmissions and most of major parts of the car gets tested over million miles before it makes it into the car.

My family has been a huge BMW family.

we've had M3, 325i, 525xi, and x5 4.4

Just because Hyundai has lower price tag, doesn't mean their built quality is not up to BMW.

Before any of you say anything about built quality, there's a clear distinction between built quality and material quality.

Hyundai obviously cant use same materials that BMW uses simply because of their price difference.

before u talk bad about Hyundai and Kia, seriously, go test drive one

Perrin BIG maf intake

Perrin Turbo Inlet

HKS SSQV BOV

Megan Racing header with UP (ceramic coated)

HKS DP (WRX)

DMH E-cutout

Custom 3" catback

UTEC

Archived